MLB to ban home plate collisions

Unnecessary brutality is where the fun is at. If*I*was a pro, yall would hate me. I'm the guy who play no pad, no helmet, full tackle football every Monday. I guess I'm old fashioned at 22.

It sucked when everything fun gets banned by school administrators when I was a kid. It kept happening with dodgeball ,tag, and other games. All the PC stuff is making people mentally weaker. It's all this rule change reminds me of.

There is nothing old-fashioned about idiocy. There is nothing "mentally weak" about avoiding stupid, reckless behavior. I wish I knew you in real life so I could take out a life insurance policy on you. This is a serious question: have you seen a doctor about your series of concussions? I sure as hell didn't have any significant "down times" when I was 22.

As far as the topic at hand goes, if you think the sport of baseball would actually be improved by adding physical violence to every base and dramatically increasing pointless injuries, then it's pretty clear we've reached a fundamental point of disagreement. Good luck with your brain.

There is nothing old-fashioned about idiocy. There is nothing "mentally weak" about avoiding stupid, reckless behavior. I wish I knew you in real life so I could take out a life insurance policy on you. This is a serious question: have you seen a doctor about your series of concussions? I sure as hell didn't have any significant "down times" when I was 22.

As far as the topic at hand goes, if you think the sport of baseball would actually be improved by adding physical violence to every base and dramatically increasing pointless injuries, then it's pretty clear we've reached a fundamental point of disagreement. Good luck with your brain.

Thank you sir. Let's say it this way, attendance is decreasing every year as there is less contact. I know its probably not the cause. It's brain food. I know what I like is way different that society's view.

I can't afford a doctor unfortunately. My downturn was caused by other things. I really appreciate the concern.

I never knew baseball was a full contact sport. But I am enjoying the current exchange.

Me too man. Having 20 people telling me I'm wrong is much more interesting than everyone agreeing with me. I appreciate good argument. You know there is always respect. You're almost like family man.

Last edited:
People always go to the "sissy" argument and neglect the fact that every sport has constantly evolved from a safety standpoint over the past 50 years.

I don't get enjoyment from watching such vicious colisions in light of recent discoveries to the long term impacts of them. Almost feels like watching players (slowly) killing themselves.

Same here. I used to enjoy seeing a big hit in football for example. I still do if it's done properly. But seeing all these players get blasted in the head with helmets makes me cringe. Like that punter Huber that the Steelers took out last weekend. I hated seeing that and that it happened. Seems unnecessary to me to blow someone up by sticking a helmet in their jaw.

This will sound nuts. Why don't they just double the size of home plate so that it physically can't be blocked? Instead of the black of the plate being 3/4", make it 6" or even a whole foot. The strike zone stays the same but the target for the runner goes from 18" to 3 feet wide.

This will sound nuts. Why don't they just double the size of home plate so that it physically can't be blocked? Instead of the black of the plate being 3/4", make it 6" or even a whole foot. The strike zone stays the same but the target for the runner goes from 18" to 3 feet wide.

There is no actual rule for what a strike is. The umpires will mess this one up big time. All that needs to happen is good technique by the catchers as this play is 100% avoidable.

So you're suggesting making the plate as big as the imaginary one Greg Maddux used to get?

It does sound nuts. Making the plate larger will not cut down on collisions. The runner is going to try to touch the plate area closet to him which would be on the 3rd base side. Catcher's position themselves near that area waiting on the throw. Catcher tosses his mask up the 3rd base line will force the runner to go around it on the outside the base line. This takes the 1st base side of the plate out for the runner. Smart catchers know how to work this

Rule 2:00 defines the strike zone which determines a strike

Ok, it was pretty much a goofball suggestion, but the part about throwing the mask up the 3rd base line is BS... In fact, most keep the mask on during collisions.

It does sound nuts. Making the plate larger will not cut down on collisions. The runner is going to try to touch the plate area closet to him which would be on the 3rd base side. Catcher's position themselves near that area waiting on the throw. Catcher tosses his mask up the 3rd base line will force the runner to go around it on the outside the base line. This takes the 1st base side of the plate out for the runner. Smart catchers know how to work this

Rule 2:00 defines the strike zone which determines a strike

Then why do umpires get so damn much leeway about it? You're 100% right as the strike zone is defined there. God forbid you tell an umpire he sucks at his job.

Catchers have the mask & the bat at their disposal to use to try and slow down the runner. They do use them

I'm sure some may have tried that, but umpires kick crap like that out of the way almost every time. Think about all the replays at the plate you see. You hardly ever see a bat or mask on the ground in the camera shot.

MLB umpires are taught to attempt only to remove a bat if it’s within these 3 areas - necessary, available and possible. It is to be removed safely by taking one end of the bat and slide it directly behind the umpire and the plate 15-20 feet. Umpires should never kick a bat out of the way as it could end up in a worse spot. Also, umpires are taught to never touch the catchers mask no matter where it’s on the catcher’s head, in his hand or on the ground. Do they all do it this way……no

none of this babble changes the fact that a mask and a bat are very rarely even in the way of a slide or the base line.

I'm sure it has once in a blue moon. But please stop acting like catchers are placing IEDs up the 3rd baseline on a regular basis.

Like catchers getting hurt while being railroaded happens once in a blue moon. People can only name 2 examples in 30 years. There are more blue moons than that. Catchers get hurt more by getting hit in the face by breaking balls. Are we gonna ban those to?

Catchers have the mask & the bat at their disposal to use to try and slow down the runner. They do use them

While the rule is there, it acts more as guideline

I've seen the mask be thrown towards 3rd, but never the bat. I really don't like umpires.

Like catchers getting hurt while being railroaded happens once in a blue moon. People can only name 2 examples in 30 years. There are more blue moons than that. Catchers get hurt more by getting hit in the face by breaking balls. Are we gonna ban those to?

I think you know that a) it's about one catcher a year that gets hurt and B) The breaking ball example is ludicrous (Nevermond the fact that I can't ever remember seeing it happen).

VN Store

Back