MMA Thread

Him vs Jackson now.

I watched a replay of the Evans vs Bisbing fight the other night, and that was really close. I agree with the decision that Evans won, but that could have went either way IMO. That's a very competitive division. I do think Rampage will take the title back if he gets a shot at Evans though.

I'd like to see evans drop down to 185 and take on Silva. He's not that tall of a guy and would give Silva an interesting fight.

Not unexpected at all.

Evans was always better than FG. In fact, "Sugar" might be the most underrated fighter in MMA.

That said, he's about to march into a disaster of a matchup. Rampage is going to plow right through his ass en route to the UFC LHW Title.

I don't get why people don't like Rashad Evans. Some say it's because he's arrogant. I don't really think he is.

Anyways, as long as Forest Griffin lost and Rampage won, it was a good pay-per-view.

Not unexpected at all.

Evans was always better than FG. In fact, "Sugar" might be the most underrated fighter in MMA.

That said, he's about to march into a disaster of a matchup. Rampage is going to plow right through his ass en route to the UFC LHW Title.

Most of the MMA experts thought that Griffin would win. Evans doesnt cut weight at 205. Griffin is bigger, taller, has a better ground game, and more experienced. With all the talent at 205, Evans would be better served to fight at 185 IMO. Rampage looked great after getting boxing lessons. Brandon Vera will be a force at 205. Machida is a SCARY technical fighter that needs a KO win to move up for a title shot. Griffin is still a top 3 205 guy. Thiago Silva should get a title shot if he beats Machida on Jan 31st. And Rua is still a complete badass.

With all of that said though. Evans has done nothing but win.

Most of the MMA experts thought that Griffin would win. Evans doesnt cut weight at 205. Griffin is bigger, taller, has a better ground game, and more experienced. With all the talent at 205, Evans would be better served to fight at 185 IMO. Rampage looked great after getting boxing lessons. Brandon Vera will be a force at 205. Machida is a SCARY technical fighter that needs a KO win to move up for a title shot. Griffin is still a top 3 205 guy. Thiago Silva should get a title shot if he beats Machida on Jan 31st. And Rua is still a complete badass.

With all of that said though. Evans has done nothing but win.

Very true. 18-0-1 speaks volumes.

Brandon Vera will be a force at 205.

you say that even after he's looked like dog crap in his only 2 fights at 205?

and if I remember the fight correctly, Tito cost himself the Rashad fight by grabbing the cage. The point he lost there led to the draw. Though the argument can be made that had he not grabbed the cage, he loses outright by ass beating.

Vera hasnt had his head on straight in awhile. He hasnt trained well and his cardio is awful. If he got into Randy's gym and worked with Forrest, he would be a beast.

I watched a replay of the Evans vs Bisbing fight the other night, and that was really close. I agree with the decision that Evans won, but that could have went either way IMO. That's a very competitive division. I do think Rampage will take the title back if he gets a shot at Evans though.

I'd like to see evans drop down to 185 and take on Silva. He's not that tall of a guy and would give Silva an interesting fight.

Wandy would get KO'd again. His looping hooks are what leads to him getting KTFO by a better striker.

I dont know if you have ever watched boxing, but that left hook Rampage through was about as Perfect as you can get. He rolled it, used his hips, and BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE.

I dont know if you have ever watched boxing, but that left hook Rampage through was about as Perfect as you can get. He rolled it, used his hips, and BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE.

The subsequent right hook was nice as well...too bad Wanderlei was already well on his way to the mat by the time Rampage delivered it.

Wandy would get KO'd again. His looping hooks are what leads to him getting KTFO by a better striker.

Too bad no one else except for Anderson Silva can box in the UFC. Did you see the punch that Liddell threw before he got knocked out by Evans? It looked like a trucker threw that punch.

In all fairness though, MMA is multi-faceted, and I realize nobody has really the time to get really good at boxing, or any dicipline for that matter.

Too bad no one else except for Anderson Silva can box in the UFC. Did you see the punch that Liddell threw before he got knocked out by Evans? It looked like a trucker threw that punch.

In all fairness though, MMA is multi-faceted, and I realize nobody has really the time to get really good at boxing, or any dicipline for that matter.

BJ Penn
Sean Sherk (His reach hurts him)
Marcus Davis
Are all good boxers.

Not in the UFC , but Melvin Manhoef is probably the best Striker in MMA Period. He just Ko'ed Mark hunt in 18 seconds. Problem is once on the ground he is a fish w/out water.

As for Chuck...he has KO power and a sprawl. He isn't technically good striker. He throws looping punches, with his chin out, hands down.

the technique for boxing in an MMA bout HAS to be different from a regular boxing match, because you have to account for kicks and takedown shots. therefore, you'll never see "pure boxing" in MMA, because MMA fighters don't have the luxury of worrying only about fists.

That said, Jens Pulver had a pretty successful boxing career.

Great call on Manhoef, Trapped. how long do yall think he would last against Anderson?

Last edited:
BJ Penn
Sean Sherk (His reach hurts him)
Marcus Davis
Are all good boxers.

Not in the UFC , but Melvin Manhoef is probably the best Striker in MMA Period. He just Ko'ed Mark hunt in 18 seconds. Problem is once on the ground he is a fish w/out water.

As for Chuck...he has KO power and a sprawl. He isn't technically good striker. He throws looping punches, with his chin out, hands down.

There are a lot of good stand up strikers with good-great technique. Very few have excellent technique because there is a little bit different stance because of protecting the leg kicks.

I wouldnt say Melvin is the best striker but he is DAMN good. ZERO take down defense.

Chuck was also a college wrestler and a brown belt in BJJ but just doesnt ever have to use it (or try).

By the way, I havent trained hard in about 10 years. I go and roll around on a mat from time to time, do some striking workouts and the such, but I went to a gym today just to watch some of the new young guys come in. These guy that are 22, 23, 24 who have been college wresters, learning submissions with BJJ, boxing stand up, Mui Tai, a little judo, HOLY COW. They are so much more advanced as a total fighter now than they were even 5 years ago let alone 10. Some of these guys have crazy cardio workouts too.
It just makes me happy to watch a sport go from a contest of fighting styles and disciplines, to a total well rounded mixed martial arts fighter.

the technique for boxing in an MMA bout HAS to be different from a regular boxing match, because you have to account for kicks and takedown shots. therefore, you'll never see "pure boxing" in MMA, because MMA fighters don't have the luxury of worrying only about fists.

That said, Jens Pulver had a pretty successful boxing career.

Great call on Manhoef, Trapped. how long do yall think he would last against Anderson?

If anderson decides to bang, prob less than a minute.
Styles make fights a lot of times. That is NOT a good match up for anderson. However if Anderson takes him down its game over for Manhoef.

I always thought a Prime Evan Tanner would beat Anderson, sadly we will never know

By the way, I havent trained hard in about 10 years. I go and roll around on a mat from time to time, do some striking workouts and the such, but I went to a gym today just to watch some of the new young guys come in. These guy that are 22, 23, 24 who have been college wresters, learning submissions with BJJ, boxing stand up, Mui Tai, a little judo, HOLY COW. They are so much more advanced as a total fighter now than they were even 5 years ago let alone 10. Some of these guys have crazy cardio workouts too.
It just makes me happy to watch a sport go from a contest of fighting styles and disciplines, to a total well rounded mixed martial arts fighter.

I must add there is nothing worse than someone who trains BJJ and trounces around that they are an Ultimate Fighter. I hate that ****. I have trained BJJ for 3 years and boxed for 2. I'm not an ultimate fighter. I do it to keep in shape and I like it.

What do you guys think is the best MA to train? BJJ? Muy Thai? Wresting?

Depends on what you want to accomplish.
BJJ for me. If you think about it 90% of all fights go to the ground. I'm not saying take BJJ if you want to not get your ass kicked in a street fight. Because if it goes to the ground you will prob get jumped.

I know this because I armbared a poor bastard outside a bar and woke up in the hospital.

I heard yesterday Nashville was going to get the first MMA ticket in Tenn. Looks like it is mid spring to early summer. I thought it would have been Memphis.

Depends on what you want to accomplish.
BJJ for me. If you think about it 90% of all fights go to the ground. I'm not saying take BJJ if you want to not get your ass kicked in a street fight. Because if it goes to the ground you will prob get jumped.

I know this because I armbared a poor bastard outside a bar and woke up in the hospital.

BJJ on the ground where it is concrete in a street fight could be pretty bad for the guy on the bottom. IF the guy on top picks him up and slams him, he could kill him, literally.

Just read where Ovince St Preux is fighting in a XFC event in the Tommy Bowl on February 20. He's dedicated his fight to Volunteer Nation.

Big weekend coming up.....

Fedor/Arlovski on Saturday (Affliction PPV) , Faber/Pulver 2 on Sunday (WEC on VS.)

Who ya got?

I had no idea until I saw the press conference how much Bigger AA is than Fedor. I always thought of AA as a small HW....wow. Fedor could probably make 205 without much effort at all. which makes it legitimate to think about a Fedor/Anderson Silva superfight. :drool:

Big weekend coming up.....

Fedor/Arlovski on Saturday (Affliction PPV) , Faber/Pulver 2 on Sunday (WEC on VS.)

Who ya got?

I had no idea until I saw the press conference how much Bigger AA is than Fedor. I always thought of AA as a small HW....wow. Fedor could probably make 205 without much effort at all. which makes it legitimate to think about a Fedor/Anderson Silva superfight. :drool:

I'm taking Fedor in round 2. AA doesn't have a chin, but I don't think Fedor will castrate him quite the way he did Sylvia.

I think the first round will be a bit of a slow, "feeling out" round, but I think Fedor will drop him in the 2nd.

As for Pulver/Faber...if it's half as good as the first contest, it'll be an entertaining fight. I'm gonna pick the upset and say Pulver drops Faber with a big right hand.

This weekend will be a good one for MMA, but I'm far more excited about BJ and GSP next weekend.

VN Store

Back