MMA Thread

Big weekend coming up.....

Fedor/Arlovski on Saturday (Affliction PPV) , Faber/Pulver 2 on Sunday (WEC on VS.)

Who ya got?

I had no idea until I saw the press conference how much Bigger AA is than Fedor. I always thought of AA as a small HW....wow. Fedor could probably make 205 without much effort at all. which makes it legitimate to think about a Fedor/Anderson Silva superfight. :drool:

Gotta take Fedor. He is an absolute beast. He has maybe the best Sambo in the world, nice striking, great jiu-jitsu, and has submitted many a fighter from his back.

As for Faber/Pulver, I would love to see Pulver destroy Faber, but I think the "California Kid" is bitter from his last fight and will drop Pulver in round 2.

Good GOD--Matt Lindland just got knocked dumber than Willis McGahee by Vitor Belfort.

Let the talk of Belfort to the UFC middleweight division begin!!!

Step puke went to wild wings, I think its there free. I could very well be wrong though. Let yellow pages do the walkin.

That was a pretty good PPV overall I thought. I think AA was definitely showing promise there in the first round but got too confident and walked, no jumped, right into dreamland.

I'm not ready to crown Belfort anything yet but it was a good win for him now he needs one or two more.

Barnett/Fedor could definitely be an interesting matchup down the road. I do have to give credit to Barnett's opponent though as he showed a lot of heart in getting rode/pounded to death. Speaking of pounded to death "Baby Fedor" was out on his feet but dude showed he has a heck of a chin.

That first fight I think that Lauzon was milking the low blow deal a little. That first one was definitely probably a low blow and if Bobby Green wouldn't have caught him with that one I think he would have KO'd Lauzon as he was in trouble.

Overall again I thought it was a strong PPV for the most part. Royal Rumble tonight - whooohooo

Anyone watching the GSP vs BJ Penn training camp on UFC where they show each guy preparing for his UFC fight? Just watching that, I think GSP is going to destroy Penn next Saturday.

Penn is taking 3 days off, talking smack, going out for light jogging, etc. While GSP is sparring with 4 or 5 top guys one after the other. GSP is hard core about his training camp. Really like GSP; humble guy, trains hard as he can, has a sound philosophy on training/life, and surrounds himself with good people.

I spent about a month in Montreal for work once, and really like the Canadians in general, and GSP is a class guy.

Last edited:
AA has been a joke for awhile. I want to see Fedor fight the winner of Mir-Lesner.
I cant pick a winner for Penn-GSP. I love both fighters. GSP is one of the top 3 MMA athletes out there. Penn is freakish with his BJJ and flexibility. GSP is a bigger guy in general.

Anyone watching the GSP vs BJ Penn training camp on UFC where they show each guy preparing for his UFC fight? Just watching that, I think GSP is going to destroy Penn next Saturday.

Penn is taking 3 days off, talking smack, going out for light jogging, etc. While GSP is sparring with 4 or 5 top guys one after the other. GSP is hard core about his training camp. Really like GSP; humble guy, trains hard as he can, has a sound philosophy on training/life, and surrounds himself with good people.

BJ's not taking this fight lightly. He knows what he's doing, and he'll be ready for GSP.

That Jamie Varner/Cowboy fight from WEC last night was wicked. I really thought that the Cowboy was going to upset him there in the last round. They definitely do need to fight again and I'd say the next time Varner will take him a little more seriously.

I just looked at the UFC 94 card again, and it is actually pretty impressive. Of course GSP-Penn will be one of the best fights in history, but the Thiago Silva-Lyoto Machida fight will be very entertaining.

I just looked at the UFC 94 card again, and it is actually pretty impressive. Of course GSP-Penn will be one of the best fights in history, but the Thiago Silva-Lyoto Machida fight will be very entertaining.

I don't think most fans consider Machida entertaining, although he has a unique style compared to most fighters in MMA. On paper it looks like a good fight with both of them being undefeated.

I don't think most fans consider Machida entertaining, although he has a unique style compared to most fighters in MMA. On paper it looks like a good fight with both of them being undefeated.

I am not a fan of Machida in any way, mostly due to his "hit and run" style of fighting. However, Silva has excellent Jiu-Jitsu, and we saw how Tito Ortiz almost submitted Machida. Very contrasting styles will be on display, and I am looking forward to it, hopefully with a Silva victory.

R.I.P. Helio Gracie (95)

One of the main creators of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which gained worldwide popularity. Gracie introduced a series of adaptations to traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu that emphasized leverage and position as a way to compensate for size differences among opponents. He died of pneumonia in the mountain resort town of Petropolis near Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on January 29, 2009.

I'm taking Baby Jay tonight. I think he's among the top 3 fighters in the world, regardless of weight-class, when he's at his best....and I think he'll be at his best tonight.

Wow. GSP looked like a machine out there tonight. However, and I'm not taking anything away from GSP, but it seems the UFC would benefit more from a GSP victory. I'm not saying that BJ was told or paid off by the UFC to "lay down" to GSP tonight, but Penn looked very flat from the beginning, almost with no intensity at all.

-If BJ Penn were to win tonight, he would have to bounce back and forth between Welterweight and Lightweight to defend his titles. Thus, the UFC doesn't have many title fights to promote on their PPV cards. Also, you have many unhappy fighters in each weight class, all looking to get their shot at the champ, who may be defending in another weight class. This brings about impatience.

-Who benefits from a BJ Penn victory? BJ Penn and BJ Penn only. Florian, GSP, Sanchez, Alves, Stevenson, Guida, etc. however, do not benefit.

I'm not saying that I believe that the UFC "fixed" the fight, but I can see why they would.

VN Store

Back