'24 MO DL Williams Nwaneri (Mizzou commit)

Listening to Swain and his take is we better hope that states like Georgia, Florida, and/or Texas don't pass a law like this.
That would show MO's move to be pretty stupid. They are one of the MOST dependent programs on out of state talent.

I suspect however that either the courts or the leagues themselves will overturn this.

MO also invited the Federal government to get involved and start regulating NIL. There are a lot more "have nots" than haves when it comes to HS talent.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
You should have tweeted back “The difference is he went to a place he can get paid AND WIN. But if you’re willing to lose for a nominal payday, maybe you didn’t belong here anyways”
Nah, I want the young man to learn his own life lessons. How could I know what’s best for him?

As written no, it applies only to only instate which is where I think there are constitutional issues. Restricting/limiting one's ability to earn only to instate doesn't seem to pass the sniff test. I believe this section will be challenged and likely overturned.

16. (1) A high school athlete who competes on an interscholastic athletic team in 241 this state that is sponsored by a public school or by a private school whose students 242 compete against a public school's students may earn or attempt to earn compensation 243 from the use of such athlete's name, image, likeness rights, or athletic reputation as 244 provided in this section, subject to the following: 245 (a) A high school athlete shall have the right to discuss earning or attempting to 246 earn such compensation before signing an athletic letter of intent or other written 247 agreement only when having discussions about potential enrollment with a 248 postsecondary educational institution in this state; and 249 (b) A high school athlete shall have the right to earn or attempt to earn such 250 compensation only after signing an athletic letter of intent or other written agreement to 251 enroll in a postsecondary educational institution in this state. 252 (2) The discussion of, or earning or attempting to earn, compensation from the 253 use of such high school athlete's name, image, likeness rights, or athletic reputation as 254 provided in this section shall not be construed to be a violation of any rules and 255 regulations a high school student and high schools are required to follow to maintain 256 and protect a high school athlete's high school eligibility to participate in high school 257 athletics in this state

Bill Text: MO HB417 | 2023 | Regular Session | Enrolled | LegiScan

Seems to me a kid could have his lawyer draw up an OTHER document to attend say a secretarial school in the state which triggers his right to get NIL money and he could then cut another deal with an additional school since the gate is open. Did not see language to prohibit that once a kid meets the agreement requirements and does not stipulate type of post secondary school.

Seems to me a kid could have his lawyer draw up an OTHER document to attend say a secretarial school in the state which triggers his right to get NIL money and he could then cut another deal with an additional school since the gate is open. Did not see language to prohibit that once a kid meets the agreement requirements and does not stipulate type of post secondary school.
I wonder how dual credits through a CC would work too. If he's advanced enough academically then he could take a college course on line this fall.

A lot of kids in MO are doing it.

Some kids mostly care about getting paid.
Some do. For reasons we may or may not understand they think in terms of $. Many of us know that is foolish and often leads to less success, financial and otherwise, in later time. But that could be his motivation.

But he may also have some home state pride. Maybe there are a lot of Mizzou grads/fans/alums pressuring him. Maybe he just wants to be close enough for family and friends to visit and watch him play. My son graduated from Mizzou. When he started, they told us they had the most "schools" of any university in the country. I want to say 21 different schools... Ag, Medical, Engineering, Business, education,.... It is somewhat possible that they sold him or mom on educational opportunity.

Columbia is different than K'ville. Many here have voiced their dislike of CoMo but maybe there's something he likes about it or doesn't like about K'Ville.

Heupel likes to practice early in the morning. It may sound funny but if he hates getting up in the morning then that could play into it. (I don't know when MU practices)

We too often think of these guys as characters on some video game. But they're as diverse in their preferences as the people on this board. All of us are motivated by $ even if it is just a utilitarian thing to us. But we're all motivated by many other things too.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
I will add I think OU always was the pick if money wasn’t involved. That was all I heard the whole recruitment and they were the constant the whole recruitment. The Georgia finishing second talk was BS from Rusty or maybe he really told Georgia they were runner up; whatever the case I don’t believe it to be true.

Hahahahahaha

This chick that’s an 8 is giving me something extra on the side but I’m still dating my girlfriend that’s a 2 because she’s paying my rent.

Hahahahahahaha
Oklahoma is more like a 4 these days. It's still an upgrade over Missouri's 2, but nothing worth bragging about.

Some do. For reasons we may or may not understand they think in terms of $. Many of us know that is foolish and often leads to less success, financial and otherwise, in later time. But that could be his motivation.

But he may also have some home state pride. Maybe there are a lot of Mizzou grads/fans/alums pressuring him. Maybe he just wants to be close enough for family and friends to visit and watch him play. My son graduated from Mizzou. When he started, they told us they had the most "schools" of any university in the country. I want to say 21 different schools... Ag, Medical, Engineering, Business, education,.... It is somewhat possible that they sold him or mom on educational opportunity.

Columbia is different than K'ville. Many here have voiced their dislike of CoMo but maybe there's something he likes about it or doesn't like about K'Ville.

Heupel likes to practice early in the morning. It may sound funny but if he hates getting up in the morning then that could play into it. (I don't know when MU practices)

We too often think of these guys as characters on some video game. But they're as diverse in their preferences as the people on this board. All of us are motivated by $ even if it is just a utilitarian thing to us. But we're all motivated by many other things too.

We get to be fans, but these athletes have to make decisions based on a lot more, as 17 year olds. There's a lot of pressure on these kids. Nwaneri did right by his family's immediate needs. If the only consideration was football, my understanding is the pick would have been uga. If it was only about relationships, it would have been OU. Mizzou checked the most boxes for his family.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
We get to be fans, but these athletes have to make decisions based on a lot more, as 17 year olds. There's a lot of pressure on these kids. Nwaneri did right by his family's immediate needs. If the only consideration was football, my understanding is the pick would have been uga. If it was only about relationships, it would have been OU. Mizzou checked the most boxes for his family.
What other box besides money now?

Honestly football has changed for a lot of kids. It’s a job now. Some kids are looking for the most they can make in college football. Is it really a bad thing if you can put your family in a better situation? I’m not going to say most but I’m going to say a lot are viewing this as a business decision. As you get more bad actors involved in influencing kids also you’re going to see more decisions made strictly for money as well.

Honestly football has changed for a lot of kids. It’s a job now. Some kids are looking for the most they can make in college football. Is it really a bad thing if you can put your family in a better situation? I’m not going to say most but I’m going to say a lot are viewing this as a business decision. As you get more bad actors involved in influencing kids also you’re going to see more decisions made strictly for money as well.
He was talking about the advantages from different programs and said that Missouri checked the most boxes. I asked what other boxes besides getting paid now. Didn’t say that was bad.

It was very, very important to Mama Nwaneri that Williams was closer by. Family is a high value. She likes the Missouri coaches over the other schools. Dad liked OU and mama liked them 2nd most. Dad liked Mizzou coaches 2nd. The NIL numbers were higher and immediate. Development and education went uga's way, but it was too far from home for the family. Really, the biggest factor that differentiated mizzou from the others was distance to family and mama's relationship with coaches.

If it were solely up to where Williams wanted to go, with no outside factors, I doubt he'd be at mizzou. But,what do I know?

This sounds crazy, but some rumblings that Nwaneri might not be totally set on Mi$$ou. We’ll see if it amounts to taking a visit anywhere, but wouldn’t hate it if our coaches made a few phone calls to Nwaneri to gauge interest.

Not saying there’s a change coming, just that the door might be cracking open just a hair.

VN Store

Back