Modern day 40 acres and a mule?

I had a nice Tilapia fillet farm raised in some Asian country for lunch today, it was quite nice. I can't believe you don't eat seafood, I love it.
I actually will eat Tilapia, Grouper, shrimp, etc. on rare occasion. Rare occasion.

Reactions: AM64
Tariffs are a great idea. When AAPL feels enough pain to move out of China, they will have worked. It takes a little time. But now we'll go right back to being bent over by Ho Chi Minh.

Tariffs are a great idea if you also think that burning your house down in the hopes that a little smoke will get in your neighbors eyes is a smart play.

Trumps tariffs not only caused American's to pay more for goods and services through what is ostensibly a tax, but our actual tax dollars were used to bail out the producers of the goods and services that couldn't export due to the tariffs. I wish I could say that trumps bad decisions weren't always double threats, but this one sure was.

Apple isn't going anywhere but to another locale that doesn't have labor laws or minimum wages.

Tariffs are a great idea if you also think that burning your house down in the hopes that a little smoke will get in your neighbors eyes is a smart play.

Trumps tariffs not only caused American's to pay more for goods and services through what is ostensibly a tax, but our actual tax dollars were used to bail out the producers of the goods and services that couldn't export due to the tariffs. I wish I could say that trumps bad decisions weren't always double threats, but this one sure was.

Apple isn't going anywhere but to another locale that doesn't have labor laws or minimum wages.

That 1.81% inflation rate in 2019 and .62% rate in 2020 have been a killer.

Bingo! I have said numerous times that we need to reduce our regulations to match that of our competitors.

Reactions: AM64 and 1972 Grad
Bingo! I have said numerous times that we need to reduce our regulations to match that of our competitors.

I don't see where American's are going to ever be OK with child labor, camps or wages that are barely above a handful of pocket lint, a button, a chewing gum wrapper and a broken safety pin.

As it is these boneheads are trying (and succeeding) at foisting $15/hr minimum wage requirements. Jokes on them when the McDonald jobs are "outsourced" to kiosks and burger making robots.

I don't see where American's are going to ever be OK with child labor, camps or wages that are barely above a handful of pocket lint, a button, a chewing gum wrapper and a broken safety pin.

As it is these boneheads are trying (and succeeding) at foisting $15/hr minimum wage requirements. Jokes on them when the McDonald jobs are "outsourced" to kiosks and burger making robots.

Free market would take care of 90% of that. You only get that in countries (and we've had it in our history) where the .gov acts as a force for industry. Couldn't happen today with the way information flows.

My wife noticed that Chick Fil-A had peppermint milkshakes on their sign out front this week.

That would be worth trying; I normally limit those to chocolate shakes and, even better, malts; but a peppermint shake sounds promising.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
I go to Ingle's here and in N.C. , and Piggly in Florida.

Just got back from N.C. and would trade Publix for Ingles any day. Not a second too soon to - cabin got 12 inches of snow Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1972 Grad
Just got back from N.C. and would trade Publix for Ingles any day. Not a second too soon too - cabin got 12 inches of snow Monday.
The Pig Wig is the only supermarket in Port St. Joe, Florida. Nothing but The Cape Trading Post on Cape San Blas.

It’s really a sad state of affairs when they can raise catfish and ship them 1/2 way around the world cheaper than we can raise our own.
It's cheaper to mine iron ore in the US and ship it roundtrip China for smelting than it is to run the entire process here.

It's cheaper to mine iron ore in the US and ship it roundtrip China for smelting than it is to run the entire process here.

Terrible. There was a furniture grade lumber yard here in town that closed this year, they purchased the raw stock then milled it and had their own kilns. They couldn't compete with the Chinese who buy raw standing stock, have it cut and shipped to China where they mill it and dry it then ship it back over to us.

That's how it's always going to happen when you protect unwarranted wage escalation and then decide to play the globalism game. We failed to manage unreasonable union demands by applying antitrust laws to corporations and not unions. Unions could not only cut across corporation lines like the UAW covered all US car manufacturing, but unions like the UAW could count on support from other unions like the Teamsters. Part 2 was continually bumping the minimum wage to follow the union lead.

That would be a difficult act to deal with globally, but there's Parts 3 and 4, currency manipulation (the Chinese do it well), and underpaying workers in countries like China. Something else the Chinese have perfected; they've got a lot of people to exploit both in wages and with pollution that will kill them early, but no big deal, life is cheap in China.

Then there's Parts 5 and 6 absurd US corporate taxes and regulation. Protecting the environment is a correct thing to do, but look at the Paris accords that deferred cleanup in China and India while further trying to strangle industry in developed countries - apparently our reduced pollution per volume of work is killing the world, but the Chinese extravagant pollution isn't - incredible. With our own government protecting us, who needs enemies.

Reactions: Orangeburst
That's how it's always going to happen when you protect unwarranted wage escalation and then decide to play the globalism game. We failed to manage unreasonable union demands by applying antitrust laws to corporations and not unions. Unions could not only cut across corporation lines like the UAW covered all US car manufacturing, but unions like the UAW could count on support from other unions like the Teamsters. Part 2 was continually bumping the minimum wage to follow the union lead.

That would be a difficult act to deal with globally, but there's Parts 3 and 4, currency manipulation (the Chinese do it well), and underpaying workers in countries like China. Something else the Chinese have perfected; they've got a lot of people to exploit both in wages and with pollution that will kill them early, but no big deal, life is cheap in China.

Then there's Parts 5 and 6 absurd US corporate taxes and regulation. Protecting the environment is a correct thing to do, but look at the Paris accords that deferred cleanup in China and India while further trying to strangle industry in developed countries - apparently our reduced pollution per volume of work is killing the world, but the Chinese extravagant pollution isn't - incredible. With our own government protecting us, who needs enemies.
Well also there's the fact that China's human rights and labor/environmental standards are bottom barrel. They can do things cheaper because they don't care if some people die or no one can breathe. And they also engage in commodity dumping to break the chumps playing by the rules.

The union comment made me think of the death of Hostess. Part of their problem was the guys that drove the delivery trucks weren't allowed to unload them due to union rules. So they also had to pay lumpers from another union, effectively paying two men to do one job while also slowing the entire process down. Then they're baffled and pissed off when the company goes under and they're out of a job. It's like a bunch of ticks being mad that the dog died from blood loss.

VN Store

Back