More impressed with coach Heupel , than ever before.

Our starting left tackle was out for the game , his replacement went out hurt . Our generational talented QB had turned the ball over twice , once deep in our own territory. We had the lead and at that point Coach Heupel made the decision to protect our lead our dinged up O-Line and our young QB . He put the game in the hands of our elite Defense ( elite at all three levels ) and our elite special teams . It worked to perfection.
It was a brilliant display of coaching in my opinion and any doubts I had about Coach Heupel are gone now.
It's truly GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL !!!

^This^.

Heupel said it himself after the game. He saw the way the defense was playing and it changed the way he called the second half. He applied one of the most important of all Neyland's Seven Maxims:

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

Play calling in the second half wasn't conservative - it was smart. And it led to a big conference road win against a highly respected ranked team that doesn't lose many at home. Go Vols!

The best coaches use what they have. Heupel knew that the OU defense was going to be stingy so he adjusted his game plan. He adjusted in-game very well. That is something that we have neede for a long time. He used the entire team, not just the offense. Great job by the entire team and the coaching staff. Rest, heal, go eat some pork on the 5th.

I agree. They were dominant in the stat sheet, but couldn't translate it on the scoreboard. Against Vandy. Either Mizzou is a fraud or Vandy is pretty good.
I think it's a combo of both. Vandy has clearly improved. Missouri is a paper tiger right now. I see them dropping games to Bama (obviously) and Oklahoma. There's also a decent chance someone like Arkansas or USC might trip them up.

Our starting left tackle was out for the game , his replacement went out hurt . Our generational talented QB had turned the ball over twice , once deep in our own territory. We had the lead and at that point Coach Heupel made the decision to protect our lead our dinged up O-Line and our young QB . He put the game in the hands of our elite Defense ( elite at all three levels ) and our elite special teams . It worked to perfection.
It was a brilliant display of coaching in my opinion and any doubts I had about Coach Heupel are gone now.

Hype showed coaching maturity last night. We didnt have our offensive "fastball" last night so to speak, for a few different reasons, but he managed the game, leaned on his D, picked his spots to take a few shots and kept the game in front of him.

Going forward, the lack of OL depth is going to be a HUGE issue. We have to develop depth like the DL has been able to do. No disrespect to Davis, but we have to be much better depth wise than that.

Heuple could have exploited the OK's Defense, he chose not to do so.
Why, because it would have exposed more of the Offense plays on film. He took the path of flying under the radar and giving NICO more time to adjust.
Why run an offense that you don't need in a game you are not struggling to win when the defense has control.
He just not giving up any information to future opponents.
Winning on that field in those conditions was good enough.
Most of the commentators recognized this in their analysis and commented.
52 running plays - 21 passing plays against a solid defense gives us a lot of film study for future games to improve line play.
35 minutes of TOP
This is a teaching tape.
All done on a sloppy field on the road.
CJH is not showing his hand and to win at OK against a good defense says all he needs to state.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I do have one critique. Heupel said “aight” in the locker room speech. I’ll let it slide this time but he has to be sensitive to how that word triggers so many of us. I was shaking and sweating for 3 hours after it, having visions of Guarantano throwing to Kentucky players.
I’m okay now, but it really triggered me.
You get triggered by the word “aight?” Please tell me you are joking.

Heuple could have exploited the OK's Defense, he chose not to do so.
Why, because it would have exposed more of the Offense plays on film. He took the path of flying under the radar and giving NICO more time to adjust.
Why run an offense that you don't need in a game you are not struggling to win when the defense has control.
He just not giving up any information to future opponents.
Winning on that field in those conditions was good enough.
Most of the commentators recognized this in their analysis and commented.
52 running plays - 21 passing plays against a solid defense gives us a lot of film study for future games to improve line play.
35 minutes of TOP
This is a teaching tape.
All done on a sloppy field on the road.
CJH is not showing his hand and to win at OK against a good defense says all he needs to state.
OUs defense is legit. I think with a healthy OL, we could have exploited the defense. But not with the OL we had last night. Heupel did the best he could and it was a great job.

Hype showed coaching maturity last night. We didnt have our offensive "fastball" last night so to speak, for a few different reasons, but he managed the game, leaned on his D, picked his spots to take a few shots and kept the game in front of him.

Going forward, the lack of OL depth is going to be a HUGE issue. We have to develop depth like the DL has been able to do. No disrespect to Davis, but we have to be much better depth wise than that.
Three of ten in the two deep on the O -Line are currently out with injuries . Silver lining is we have two weeks to heal and figure it out .

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yep. And yet we have a huge swath of football-ignorant fans who are actually criticizing his coaching last night. 🙄

OUs defense is legit. I think with a healthy OL, we could have exploited the defense. But not with the OL we had last night. Heupel did the best he could and it was a great job.
OU's defense is legit. That is why we ran it 52 times and attempted 21 pass plays. Airing it out capabilities were there but we did not have to go there because we were in control of the game. Did not need the pass and played controlled hard nose football.
Although Heupel plays very conservative in some games, he uses the film to teach and better the players. OU's defense is great for the offense and with our Defense in control why not use it for film study. A great road win and some would call it winning ugly but the Vols were in complete control of this game. A lot of players on the field last night got valuable time.

It is nothing short of staggering to me (despite completely expecting it) to come on here after the game and see how many ignoramuses were complaining about Heupel's decision to throttle it back, as if it was a bad sign for the season. Amazing.

Maybe it's expecting too much, but it's remarkable how many fans have a national media mentality of looking at everything in a vacuum instead of having a clue about the circumstances, in this case being a defense that was suffocating the life out of them, a banged up OL, and piece of schiit field conditions. Josh made the smart, mature call given the circumstances.

Speaking of the national media, a primary reason why I avoid it completely on TV and even online between games is the kind of take they offered up after the game. The focus should have been how our defense and run game make us a serious threat that no one will want any part of in the playoffs, but instead it was us "holding off a late OU rally" and the focus being the OU QB situation. Typical.

Plus the Heup is a sideline superstar. A drama queen, a comedian, a thriller, and a horror show all rolled into one. I hope UT is filming all his sideline antics. I see them as being a recruiting tool. Maybe even a sellable digital media revenue source. Even a commenter mentioned the Heup show last night. He's as much fun to watch as the game itself.

Heup Show Highlights, I'd call it, or simply Heuping.

Last edited:
Reactions: #1n51&98

Maxim #4 - Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

Reminded me of how football was played under Majors and Fulmer. People are going to criticize the offense but IMHO that would be unwarranted. It was a well coached game.
I think it was well coached. The chances of them scoring twice and getting two 2 point conversions were slim. BUT we’ve seen that play hurt us in the past many times. I’d of liked to seen him go for that 4th and 1 deep in their territory to seal the game. Decisions in your hands are known. Decisions left in the opponents are not.

VN Store

Back