More impressed with coach Heupel , than ever before.

I didn’t want to start a new thread for this, so I’ll ask it here. Does anybody know why CJH didn’t challenge the spot on Nico’s run in our last possession in the 4th? It looked like a terrible spot and Nico had the 1st down. I don’t believe we had used our challenge yet and that would’ve allowed us to run more time off the clock and potentially put another TD on the board and officially ended the game at that point.

I don’t understand why people say this. We can have hope for our quarterback to have Heisman talk, even if it’s just the invite to the ceremony that is huge for his confidence and for recruiting.
Because some unrealistic fans had him winning the Heisman after the Chattanooga game. He has a ways to go before that kind of talk.

The only thing I disagreed with in the 2nd half conservative game plan was running up the middle on 3rd and long. I think max protect with 2 receiver routes might’ve produced. Those 3rd & 12 runs just weren’t gonna work on that defense.

I also don’t understand why they didn’t have Nico pull a couple and go around the end. I think it would’ve killed them. All in all probably our best win since Bama in’22.

I do have one critique. Heupel said “aight” in the locker room speech. I’ll let it slide this time but he has to be sensitive to how that word triggers so many of us. I was shaking and sweating for 3 hours after it, having visions of Guarantano throwing to Kentucky players.
I’m okay now, but it really triggered me.

Hearing that word definitely spoils my appetite for corn bread .

Back in the day one of my rituals was to take a shot of shine everytime we scored. I quit the ritual a few years back. I started it back up this year and was pretty thirsty after the game last night. I passed out in the 2nd qt against Kent State. I love Hype but he might not be to good for my liver!

Reactions: #1n51&98
Man, anyone upset with this is a clown. We've gone from bitching about defense costing us games to demonstrating in a road SEC game that our defense can thoroughly kick ass and win us games. Tennessee can win in multiple ways, with multiple styles. We're scary.

And it's thanks to the head coach.
Word

Reactions: #1n51&98
Because some unrealistic fans had him winning the Heisman after the Chattanooga game. He has a ways to go before that kind of talk.
All the potential is there, he just needs more time in the pocket. He makes good decisions and can make all the throws. The OL HAS to protect him.

Reminded me of how football was played under Majors and Fulmer. People are going to criticize the offense but IMHO that would be unwarranted. It was a well coached game.
What a scary thought. Majors could coach a tie from a sure win better than anyone I've ever seen. In fact, he cost himself a national title in '85 doing just that. And Fulmer, as much as I loved him as our coach, would go from conservative to ultra-conservative and turn sure wins into dogfights and, occasionally, losses.

I loved the win, but absolutely hated the offensive play calling. No quick short passes, just wide receiver screens that got blown up over and over. Nothing in the middle, just long balls. Then, no passes at all, just straight ahead hand offs. If you're just going to give the ball right back to them, why not short safe passes that at least have a chance of getting a first down?

On the other hand, unlike Fulmer and Majors, the defense stayed mostly aggressive for the entirety. Very satisfied about that.

So for folks who are just looking at a single game, I get it... great win. But for those of us looking at the entire season, a game like this can be a predictor of future problems. If our offensive line is so scarily bad and our young quarterback so untrustworthy that you can't even throw a quick slant to Bru, then, yes, there are concerns. Big fan of Heupel, but I would have been way more impressed if he had ADAPTED the offensive play calling rather than completely throttling down the offense.

Yeah, this one looks good. Ya wandered off on us tGo 😉

The offensive line is broken right now. The off week came at a good time.

The secondary also scares me. They’ve let receivers get behind them quite a bit, but the opposing QBs haven’t been taking advantage of the break downs and passes have also been dropped. I hope that Nico is ready to respond when we get into a shoot out.

All the potential is there, he just needs more time in the pocket. He makes good decisions and can make all the throws. The OL HAS to protect him.
The potential for our passing game to be crazy explosive, is beyond measure . Use the bye week to get the O-Line healthy and dialed in and work on Nico's internal clock , he holds the ball a tad bit to long .
Nico appears to be as smart as he is talented , in the Kent State game every time he ran the ball , his run ended with him getting hit . In the Oklahoma game every time he ran the ball , his run ended with him sliding. That is growth and the ability to take coaching and apply it on game day . I am on the edge of my seat , watching this teams progress every week .

Tennessee vs Oklahoma in Football was 1-4 before the 2024 Tennessee at Oklahoma night game.
They improved to 2-4 after Tennessee defeated Oklahoma 25-15 in Oklahoma.

It feels incredible that Tennessee was able to not disappoint by defeating Oklahoma mainly because the Tennessee offense had more explosive plays, and Oklahoma even with a better QB after the change could not get in a rhythm.

I say not disappoint because they had a high bar realistic chance of winning which couldn’t be said in 2014, it can be said for 2015.

Our starting left tackle was out for the game , his replacement went out hurt . Our generational talented QB had turned the ball over twice , once deep in our own territory. We had the lead and at that point Coach Heupel made the decision to protect our lead our dinged up O-Line and our young QB . He put the game in the hands of our elite Defense ( elite at all three levels ) and our elite special teams . It worked to perfection.
It was a brilliant display of coaching in my opinion and any doubts I had about Coach Heupel are gone now.
It's truly GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL !!!

I would call our QB a “generational talent”. He’s good, but still has ALOT to prove

What a scary thought. Majors could coach a tie from a sure win better than anyone I've ever seen. In fact, he cost himself a national title in '85 doing just that. And Fulmer, as much as I loved him as our coach, would go from conservative to ultra-conservative and turn sure wins into dogfights and, occasionally, losses.

I loved the win, but absolutely hated the offensive play calling. No quick short passes, just wide receiver screens that got blown up over and over. Nothing in the middle, just long balls. Then, no passes at all, just straight ahead hand offs. If you're just going to give the ball right back to them, why not short safe passes that at least have a chance of getting a first down?

On the other hand, unlike Fulmer and Majors, the defense stayed mostly aggressive for the entirety. Very satisfied about that.

So for folks who are just looking at a single game, I get it... great win. But for those of us looking at the entire season, a game like this can be a predictor of future problems. If our offensive line is so scarily bad and our young quarterback so untrustworthy that you can't even throw a quick slant to Bru, then, yes, there are concerns. Big fan of Heupel, but I would have been way more impressed if he had ADAPTED the offensive play calling rather than completely throttling down the offense.
And the guru has spoken

VN Store

Back