My take on the transfer class

I'm really hoping Cam Carr has that breakout type summer and becomes that "Dog" we need on offense. I'm just not sure I have seen that in his mentality on the court. Granted we have not seen a ton of him, he may have it.
In areas that he can impact I think we have seen it. He's not gonna out physical anybody, but it takes guts/dog mentality to be as assertive, on the offensive end as he was especially considering his limited minutes. jmo

In areas that he can impact I think we have seen it. He's not gonna out physical anybody, but it takes guts/dog mentality to be as assertive, on the offensive end as he was especially considering his limited minutes. jmo
Reminded me a lot of Jordan McRae’s freshman season. If he got the ball in the half court, it was going up. Jordan missed all, but a couple of those shots his freshman year. But the mentality served him well going forward.

AP said on the VQ podcast that he feels that Tyson really wanted to come to Tennessee, but Tennessee kind of backed off because they were a little afraid of becoming too crowded at the wing position and potentially running off a Cam Carr, for instance. Said they felt they got a little of Cade with Dubar, with Milicic, and then with Carr, as well. Interesting addition to what you had already posted above.
This is in the zone, but there’s truth in what BTO said too. When he met with Davis for dinner, they said Barnes would rein him in and he wouldn’t play or score. They asked him to visit Chapel Hill, and told him the NIL would be better too. Tyson called us back, and shared that. Our staff told him to take the visit— which was a strong message. If you recall, I thought he was ours, and he may not visit UNC. In hindsight that was right, but apparently we didn’t want to stretch for all the reasons BTO listed. After the UNC visit he reached out to us again, but the door was closed. With the hesitation day on Dubar, and this series of events, I’d say we were simultaneously aggressive and cautious after the fact. I think we played it all well. I think leaving space for Cade, Carr and Estrella to grow meaningfully is very smart. If they grow, they’ll be more valuable for longer than a one year contributor who doesn’t know the system.

Our data sample on Carr is so small, it’s impossible to extrapolate how he’ll do. He took and hit a shot with confidence. I hope he does more of that. Who knows.

This is in the zone, but there’s truth in what BTO said too. When he met with Davis for dinner, they said Barnes would rein him in and he wouldn’t play or score. They asked him to visit Chapel Hill, and told him the NIL would be better too. Tyson called us back, and shared that. Our staff told him to take the visit— which was a strong message. If you recall, I thought he was ours, and he may not visit UNC. In hindsight that was right, but apparently we didn’t want to stretch for all the reasons BTO listed. After the UNC visit he reached out to us again, but the door was closed. With the hesitation day on Dubar, and this series of events, I’d say we were simultaneously aggressive and cautious after the fact. I think we played it all well. I think leaving space for Cade, Carr and Estrella to grow meaningfully is very smart. If they grow, they’ll be more valuable for longer than a one year contributor who doesn’t know the system.
Hope Estrella gets a ton of minutes this season. Not sure if true, but I heard Cuse was tapering hard for him

Reactions: garyp194 and b_gann
Our data sample on Carr is so small, it’s impossible to extrapolate how he’ll do. He took and hit a shot with confidence. I hope he does more of that. Who knows.
I was referring more to his willingness and guts to take a shot or drive to the basket as a fresh and on a huge stage. But I thought he showed way more than just that one shot so what do I know...

Reactions: Chunkyvol12
That is so well played by our staff. I agree with all of it

Real question, does he have the speed/quickness that DK DID? How about our portal additions comparisons.
Hell no lol. He isn’t nearly as athletic as Knecht. Knecht is an athletic freak at his size. I mean he’s nearly 6’7” and can move like a guard. In his film I honestly just saw a spot up 3 point shooter who occasionally can drive the lane. Against elite athletes it’ll be interesting to see how he does.

Hell no lol. He isn’t nearly as athletic as Knecht. Knecht is an athletic freak at his size. I mean he’s nearly 6’7” and can move like a guard. In his film I honestly just saw a spot up 3 point shooter who occasionally can drive the lane. Against elite athletes it’ll be interesting to see how he does.
Are you talking about Lanier?

Thanks, just never heard any discussion on his strengths and weaknesses outside of his 3 point %.

It will be interesting to watch and see how many minutes Tyson gets at UNC.
Maybe they won't use him correctly and we can get him in transfer portal next year. I like the kid's skillset, in 61 games he has scored in double figures in 50 of them as a frosh/soph. He isn't DK, but talented offensively. He'll likely be great at UNC, but I do think he has run the risk of sharing the rock with RJ Davis, who probably doesn't really want to come back to UNC for his senior year, but his best option given his size. I think Barnes handled it correctly however, especially once he had Dubar in the fold and they are seemingly so high on Milicic's positional flexibility.

Had a Memorial Day weekend getaway so was out of pocket for much of it, given the addition of Chaz officially and what imo is likely the end of transfer additions figured I would give my overall take on this class.

Definitely don’t think you can be critical, even though many folks tried at various times. This staff showed once again for the second straight year to be patient and let things play out and they once again nailed it. They brought in 5 difference visitors and landed 4 of them, there’s a solid chance they could’ve also landed Tyson had they kept pressing but sounds like they ultimately decided to back off that one a touch. Regardless, if grading this class I struggle to give anything less than an A, I could even see A+, they really checked pretty much all the boxes and when you factor in that they targeted and landed a select number of guys it was truly impressive work done.

Obviously not a ton to be added in about Okpara, Igor or Dubar so just talk about Chaz for a minute. Folks got really impatient about things and criticizing the staff for putting all their eggs into that basket, I really hope they’ll take this as yet another lesson to maybe trust the staff. Ultimately Chaz took the smaller dollar amount to come here, he stayed true to the discussions he had with the staff and that his family had had. Did he get more money than initially Tennessee thought it would take, absolutely, but it was still the lowest number and given the market it’s 100% fair for a player to do that, and for an agent to seek that as well. Tennessee and the staff never wavered, as I said multiple times they felt good and they wanted that last visit and were told they’d get it, as long as that happened then I felt good about things with Chaz.

I made a comment early on into the offseason that I thought Barnes would once again put together yet another Top 5-10 team on Rocky Top, and on paper he and his staff have done just that imo. You return 6 players who in theory should all be at least slightly improved, you add 4 transfers who at their previous stop combine to give you 123.7mpg & 56.9ppg the 5 rotational players you lost gave you 123mpg & 52.9ppg. Obviously nobody expects, or should expect a player to be Dalton Knecht, however what you hope for is that as a group you can make up for what you lost in him. Last year we had 3 double digit scorers per game, we return 1 of them, but I think you hope you can have 4-5 of those guys on the roster this year.
BTO, every team has strengths and weakness. What would you say is our weakness at the moment?

BTO, every team has strengths and weakness. What would you say is our weakness at the moment?
I’m not BTO, but I’d say off-ball defense. Santi and JJJ did a lot of invisible work.

Also not a weakness yet but more of a threat: the transfers will not all maintain their past efficiency. How will they handle the frustration? How will the coaches handle it? What will it do to team chemistry? Will we find at least 1-2 guys that can make a shot?

Reactions: THEONLYTENISEE
Ok, that would make more sense then lol
Yeah, I was talking about Cade. Hes a good prospect, but he’s nowhere near the prospect and athletic profile that Knecht was. I really liked his 3 point shooting and the fact that he had 2 years of eligibility left, but watching film on him he is not that quick and he doesn’t have the vertical that Knecht has. I think he may struggle to drive around the athletes that are in the ACC. He will still be able to shoot it, but I think that’s all he will be.

I would say consistent post scoring/2pt% is probably my biggest concern as of today
That was my concern last season as well. Then Aidoo had a pretty solid season. I think Okpara is capable of 8-10 ppg, and I think Estrella can provide 5-7 off the bench. He could honestly be even better than that. I’m really high on Estrella. Also, I think Igor and Dubar will chip in on the inside scoring.

That was my concern last season as well. Then Aidoo had a pretty solid season. I think Okpara is capable of 8-10 ppg, and I think Estrella can provide 5-7 off the bench. He could honestly be even better than that. I’m really high on Estrella. Also, I think Igor and Dubar will chip in on the inside scoring.
Okpara had some really nice oops last year and wasn't playing w ZZ. So, I'm right there with you thinking 8ish is a more than reasonable expectation. Estrella I like as well but other than put backs not sure he's shown an ability to create pts in the paint yet. Although I could see his leash getting loosened enough to take and make some medium range jump shots, with the occasional deep ball thrown in.

The other transfers had good percentages at their previous school, but we'll just have to wait and see if that translates to the SEC or not. Here's hoping... but I'm more concerned on the defensive end, especially to start the season.

Hmm. Interesting. UNC is going to be incredibly deep next year, outside of a promised NIL I find it hard to believe he’ll get the minutes and shot allocation he is asking for there either. But whatever.
I imagine UNC was his first choice but he was willing to come here instead if XYZ. At least that’s the way I read it.

Reactions: joevols89
Right now, I would be surprised if Okpara winds up ahead of Estrella on the depth chart and has more ppg, but what do I know....

Reactions: CNeagleVolFan

VN Store

Back