My take on the transfer class

You’ve become the board contrarian lol, I dig it. What’s your reasoning for this take out of curiousity?
I'm putting a lot of weight in the "experience in the system" factor. Also, I don't know much about Okpara aside from checking out his stats. I'm high on Estrella's potential for sure. Not saying my prediction is def going to happen, it's just my best guess right now

I'm putting a lot of weight in the "experience in the system" factor. Also, I don't know much about Okpara aside from checking out his stats. I'm high on Estrella's potential for sure. Not saying my prediction is def going to happen, it's just my best guess right now
My thought is simply…124 minutes and 0 starts in 1 year for Estrella vs. 1,365 minutes and 45 starts in 2 years for Okpara.

I think the experience greatly favors Okpara, and given his best attribute is his defense which Estrella struggled a bit with, Barnes will likely favor that route. JMO

Reactions: chuckiepoo
My thought is simply…124 minutes and 0 starts in 1 year for Estrella vs. 1,365 minutes and 45 starts in 2 years for Okpara.

I think the experience greatly favors Okpara, and given his best attribute is his defense which Estrella struggled a bit with, Barnes will likely favor that route. JMO
I thought Okpara was a rising sophomore for some reason...Good point on Estrella's defense. Yeah, fair to say my statement was ill informed.

You’ve become the board contrarian lol, I dig it. What’s your reasoning for this take out of curiousity?
I think this is a real possibility. Estrella was surging at the end of the year, and coaches contemplated him getting more minutes prior to Aidoo and Awaka leaving. Estrella has been working with a private coach, specifically on back to the basket offense. I can see him splitting or exceeding Okpara’s contribution.

I think this is a real possibility. Estrella was surging at the end of the year, and coaches contemplated him getting more minutes prior to Aidoo and Awaka leaving. Estrella has been working with a private coach, specifically on back to the basket offense. I can see him splitting or exceeding Okpara’s contribution.
Oh I 100% expect a huge leap from Estrella and have said I think they probably split minutes essentially, I just think Okpara, especially early on likely gets the nod to start and a few more minutes.

I wonder if we’ll see offense-for-defense subs between Estrella and Okpara given that Estrella has a functional post game and Okpara does not. Estrella’s tendency to foul should limit his minutes anyway.

I wonder if we’ll see offense-for-defense subs between Estrella and Okpara given that Estrella has a functional post game and Okpara does not. Estrella’s tendency to foul should limit his minutes anyway.
I’d wear teams down with his and Shacks defense. Bring in bench guys like Dubar/Igor and JP to capitalize on it.

Our bench > any other teams.

We’re deeeeeeep

I missed a lot of the posts from this past weekend so apologies, assumed most considered it a good class. Was curious more to if there was some addressing of the previous posts made criticizing the staff and mocking of other posters?

I think the class definitely an A+, like you said. I think we will be a more explosive team. Might be the most depth we’ve had as far as guys being able to contribute, at least in the post.

Sure I bitch and complain about how long it takes, but I have said numerous times that I back Barnes 100% and I’ve always said I want him here as long as he wants.

Yes, I’d admit I have criticized the staff about recruiting some, I just don’t have any patience. You and other posters have said to have patience, but I think some posters/people aren’t built that way. For example, not sure who it is, but I know someone would @ you like everyday and ask for an update. It’s just how some people are. I don’t think it’s necessarily them criticizing the staff as it is just being impatient and wanting the best.

Mocking of Posters: I personally apologize to anyone that I have mocked or was an ass to during portal season. No hard feelings but chances are it’ll happen next year as well.

Okay little rant over with…..didn’t really directly answer your questions, but the answer to your Lanier one…… by being patient.

Right now, I would be surprised if Okpara winds up ahead of Estrella on the depth chart and has more ppg, but what do I know....
I'm with you on that. Why does everybody thinks our young returning talent is gonna get completely buried on the depth chart by players that were two and three star talent out of high school and averaged 12-15 points a game at a low or mid major? Maybe, but I doubt Coach Barnes sees it that way. The jump from from freshman to sophmore is usually the biggest improvement. I think Estrella starts, and Carr and Phillips will also be in the mix.

I missed a lot of the posts from this past weekend so apologies, assumed most considered it a good class. Was curious more to if there was some addressing of the previous posts made criticizing the staff and mocking of other posters?

I see what you are doing. You don’t really want my “updated opinion” of the transfer class.

I don’t recall “mocking” other posters. I did say that I felt in real-time it wasn’t fair for people to dismiss the fears of other posters that Lanier wasn’t a sure thing, which by all of SF’s information it doesn’t seem he was a sure thing once the agent got involved. And I stand by that. I think it was fair for people to be concerned, but ultimately we won out which is a good thing. We just had to sweat it.

If you do actually want my opinion on the class, and aren’t just trying to get me to eat crow or whatever it is, I’ve said in a few different places I think it was an A+ off-season all things considered. When you lose 7 guys to graduation or the portal, this is about as good of a replacement as you could hope for.

We can’t replace Knecht. But we did a nice job of rounding out the team with a wealth of experience and perimeter scoring. Only question is how that translates to this level of basketball, but bringing in the 2 most efficient returning scorers in basketball (Dubar/Lanier) is an exciting thought to pair with ZZ’s vision.

Great class. Great off-season.

I see what you are doing. You don’t really want my “updated opinion” of the transfer class.

I don’t recall “mocking” other posters. I did say that I felt in real-time it wasn’t fair for people to dismiss the fears of other posters that Lanier wasn’t a sure thing, which by all of SF’s information it doesn’t seem he was a sure thing once the agent got involved. And I stand by that. I think it was fair for people to be concerned, but ultimately we won out which is a good thing. We just had to sweat it.

If you do actually want my opinion on the class, and aren’t just trying to get me to eat crow or whatever it is, I’ve said in a few different places I think it was an A+ off-season all things considered. When you lose 7 guys to graduation or the portal, this is about as good of a replacement as you could hope for.

We can’t replace Knecht. But we did a nice job of rounding out the team with a wealth of experience and perimeter scoring. Only question is how that translates to this level of basketball, but bringing in the 2 most efficient returning scorers in basketball (Dubar/Lanier) is an exciting thought to pair with ZZ’s vision.

Great class. Great off-season.
He called us to the principals office.

Knew what he was doing and still played along :/

damn marijuana

He called us to the principals office.

Knew what he was doing and still played along :/

damn marijuana

Ha, it’s fine. If I criticized the staff, I apologize. But I don’t know If I would classify what I said as criticizing. I have always supported this staff and said they have done great things for Tennessee basketball.

Ha, it’s fine. If I criticized the staff, I apologize. But I don’t know If I would classify what I said as criticizing. I have always supported this staff and said they have done great things for Tennessee basketball.
Fan is short for fanatic. Highs and lows are part of the ride.

Fan is short for fanatic. Highs and lows are part of the ride.

Well said. If you’re on this board, it’s because you care and are passionate about the sport and the team. As a “fanatic” not everything I say will always be rooted by patience or logic, but it will always be because I want the best for the team.

I'm with you on that. Why does everybody thinks our young returning talent is gonna get completely buried on the depth chart by players that were two and three star talent out of high school and averaged 12-15 points a game at a low or mid major? Maybe, but I doubt Coach Barnes sees it that way. The jump from from freshman to sophmore is usually the biggest improvement. I think Estrella starts, and Carr and Phillips will also be in the mix.
I think you both have a fair point as it pertains to guys like Lanier, Milicic, and Dubar. We need to see those guys do it at the highest level before just assuming they are the latest and greatest. Our staff believes they can be, which should give us hope, but they also believed in guys like Tyreke Key, Jordan Gainey, and EJ Anosike. Not all those lightly-recruited, lower-level transfers translate their skill to the SEC level at similar outputs following success at the low-major level.

However, Felix Okpara is entirely outside of that mold and was the specific player mentioned in the post you quoted. Okpara was a consensus top-100 player, a kid Tennessee heavily recruited as a high school player, and has played with success at the highest level. He has similar efficiency number as a sophomore to what Aidoo had as a sophomore. He plays with more edge and aggression. He's a better finisher around the rim. There's a lot to be excited about with him and expectations are more fair because he's competed at this level with some success. An offseason with our staff developing him should present another level of improvement.

Long story short, there is less hope and blind optimism involved with expecting him to help adequately replace the departed than there are with the others.

Didn’t Gainey and Knecht both just play ahead of younger guys?

My thing with Lanier was many wanted it to be done day 1, it wasn’t, and when he started “entertaining” other schools myself and SF were called out for our “bad info”, “not real insiders”, criticized for telling others “to be patient, the staff knows what’s going on” etc etc. I’m not going to go back and pull posts, but there were many of these takes and many more similar to them, so I was just curious about the updated stance. Coming at myself or SF at the time seemed unwarranted and now that it shook out exactly as we said it would it really seems unwarranted.

SF has broke it down, but the staff never had any real worry or doubts which is why you saw SF and myself remain confident. Things aren’t always black and white and visits aren’t always what they seem, especially when agents are involved, but we both tried to help everyone keep a level head. The drive by’s are whatever, but as I mentioned the 3 posters I tagged are regulars and know us both pretty well and our track record, so when they read something on Lanier and wanted to come here to post it to refute what I said or to mock me about telling people to be patient again I was just curious about updated thoughts on that matter and if this was going to be an every recruitment type thing. @TrippieRedd already said he wasn’t changing, so we’ve all got that to look forward to 😂

My thing with Lanier was many wanted it to be done day 1, it wasn’t, and when he started “entertaining” other schools myself and SF were called out for our “bad info”, “not real insiders”, criticized for telling others “to be patient, the staff knows what’s going on” etc etc. I’m not going to go back and pull posts, but there were many of these takes and many more similar to them, so I was just curious about the updated stance. Coming at myself or SF at the time seemed unwarranted and now that it shook out exactly as we said it would it really seems unwarranted.

SF has broke it down, but the staff never had any real worry or doubts which is why you saw SF and myself remain confident. Things aren’t always black and white and visits aren’t always what they seem, especially when agents are involved, but we both tried to help everyone keep a level head. The drive by’s are whatever, but as I mentioned the 3 posters I tagged are regulars and know us both pretty well and our track record, so when they read something on Lanier and wanted to come here to post it to refute what I said or to mock me about telling people to be patient again I was just curious about updated thoughts on that matter and if this was going to be an every recruitment type thing. @TrippieRedd already said he wasn’t changing, so we’ve all got that to look forward to 😂
Wouldn’t say @TheMookieMonster mocked you,
not sure if I did either, maybe I did.

I do know I posted info from other places that said they also felt confident about him. I don’t know I feel like that’s what a message board is for 🤷🏿‍♂️

Seems like your feelings are hurt that we didn’t 10000000% trust you….thats actually weird af

Reactions: joevols89

VN Store

Back