NC State vs Western Carolina Thursday at 7PM

There will be some Top 25 losses that will knock other teams out, or at least behind NC State. USC faces LSU. A&M faces Notre Dame. Clemson faces UGA. So that's 3 current top 25 teams who will have 1 loss after this week. UGA won't fall far if they lose though. Clemson might not fall far either if they keep it relatively close.
True. Though if Texas am or USC win, they’ll probably pass NCST and the losing team probably wouldn’t fall behind them, depending on the score

Reactions: Carp
Either WCU is a lot better than I thought, which I don't really know anything about them, or NC State is much weaker than everyone has been predicting.

They looked bad for most of the game. The only reason they won is because WCU ran out of gas. They could have beaten NC State last night

At this time, I predict UT completely dominated NC State on both sides of the ball. The Vols could potentially blow out the Wolfpack.
Press picked UTC to be SoCon champion this year, but WCU had several votes as well. They played a great game last year against a tough UTC team as well, and their QB is one of the best in FCS. They did better than I expected but they are a good team.

Reactions: FBtime
Doesn't matter. Heupel is our Patton.

mqdefault.jpg
Ha Ha Ha! Good one. (I thought the picture was a tumble bug at first!)

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Loved the never-say-die play of WCU. NCSU’s talent and potential was evident. They’ll be up and gunning for the Vols. I’m Orange. I think the Vols win. My hope? The Vols beat them like a dirty carpet.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think we scheduled this because of recruiting. The state of N.C. has become a priority for us.
This is a great opportunity to really showcase the disparity between a good team in the SEC is vs a supposedly good ACC team. The best TN had to offer vs the best NC has to offer. Some would point to both programs and try to draw similarities to make these teams seem of similar quality. But I think we give them a total shellacking tomorrow! There will be no argument for NC kids to stay instate if they want to play top football.

This is a great opportunity to really showcase the disparity between a good team in the SEC is vs a supposedly good ACC team. The best TN had to offer vs the best NC has to offer. Some would point to both programs and try to draw similarities to make these teams seem of similar quality. But I think we give them a total shellacking tomorrow! There will be no argument for NC kids to stay instate if they want to play top football.
We don’t play them tomorrow.

I think we scheduled this because of recruiting. The state of N.C. has become a priority for us.
That's exactly why it was scheduled. Look at where Tennessee has scheduled neutral site games recently:

2012: Atlanta
2015: Nashville
2016: Bristol
2017: Atlanta
2018: Charlotte
2023: Nashville
2024: Charlotte
2025: Atlanta
2028 Charlotte

Guess where Tennessee's three primary recruiting target areas are? Nashville/Middle TN, Atlanta metro, and Charlotte/Central NC/Western NC.

These neutral site games are absolutely about recruiting. The optics of seeing our fans take over the stadiums in these 3 cities certainly doesn't hurt.

That's exactly why it was scheduled. Look at where Tennessee has scheduled neutral site games recently:

2012: Atlanta
2015: Nashville
2016: Bristol
2017: Atlanta
2018: Charlotte
2023: Nashville
2024: Charlotte
2025: Atlanta
2028 Charlotte

Guess where Tennessee's three primary recruiting target areas are? Nashville/Middle TN, Atlanta metro, and Charlotte/Central NC/Western NC.

These neutral site games are absolutely about recruiting. The optics of seeing our fans take over the stadiums in these 3 cities certainly doesn't hurt.
That 2018 was a disaster. Nightmare inducing.

I expect this game with NC SU to be tougher than what they showed last night. You can't tell how a team will perform based on these early games.

Yep, it’s the first game against a lesser opponent. Hard to get up for that game.

It is true that a team gets better from week 1 to week 2. It cleans up execution errors, improves discipline, knocks off the rough edges of plays, and in general executes more smoothly.

But it doesn't get faster. It doesn't get stronger. And it doesn't get more agile. Those are baseline attributes of the players that don't improve in just a week. Improving them is what the loooong off-season in the weight room is for.

NC State was slow. Against a lesser program, they were slow. And weak. They got pushed around in the lines.

We're going to rip the Wolfpack apart. It's not gonna be close.

Go Vols!

While I think we should handle NC State, as they don't have anywhere near the talent we have (per the 247 Team Talent Composite for 2024, the only SEC school NC State has more talent than is Vandy), the eyeball test is notoriously unreliable, CFB history is littered with situations where a team looks like crap one week and like world beater's the next. Alas, the perils of prognosticating the mindset of 18-22 males from week to week, especially now that they are getting paid large sums of money in addition to being the kings on campus.
Well deserved large sums of money at that!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm delighted they are getting a piece of the pie, long overdue, we just need to get some enforceable rules in place.
I think the toughest part is the implementation of rules that also don’t violate an individuals rights to make value on their own talents and name.

All the things that made college sports such a profitable minor league system for the NFL for decades in now biting them in the same regard.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Your post reminded me of this.
Our better is better than their better

Reactions: vavolfan6
Agreed. Just on athleticism alone, how was Jolie not a take? The coaches must have seen something in him, personality/character wise that they didn't think was a cultural fit.
Or maybe he picked NC State instead no matter what the coaches thought? He entered the portal on Dec 4 visited NCstate on Friday the 8th of December and committed on the next Thursday on the 14th...Staes committed to UT on the 11th. For all we know we signed Staes because Joly told them he was not coming to UT. Seems like that deal was done.

Their whole offense revolves around #10. Double him up and you take away 90% of their offense.
He was the guy I thought would be the problem and he showed it this game. Smothers also looked good in a his few snaps and Joly.. the one part of their team I was most worried about being good is. Their defense didn't look impressive but their offensive skill players did. Concepcion and Noah Rogers looked good. Waters and Smothers looked good. Their O-line looked horrible but both of those backs are home run hitter types. The attention we will have to give to their WR's and TE's could lead to some big runs. Are we up to the job... heck yes, I think. But this game does not make me feel like its an easy win. Their offense is dangerous.

Who cares what they are ranked? Win all of our games and it does not matter what our opponents are ranked.
Tell FSU that.... it literally is not that simple sir. It matters very much what your opponents are ranked and how many games they win.

McCall was a great fit in Jamie Chadwell’s offense at Coastal. I watched him for 3 years (daughter goes there). He is not a power 5 caliber quarterback. He is a gamer but injury prone as he likes to run. I suspect they are trying to save his legs for us. He is not known for arm strength but does make plays. I’m sure Banks will be ready.
With that being said, Vols by fiddy…
I was wondering who their backup is they never subbed him out.. and unless that O-line has a come to jebus moment there is a high chance Mcall won't make it to halftime.

VN Store

Back