Neverending MBRO memory thread

IMG_1418.jpg
Wife is having this done in the morning. I don't even kniw anything about it other than the picture. Gonna look it up later.

View attachment 252504
Wife is having this done in the morning. I don't even kniw anything about it other than the picture. Gonna look it up later.
I have a port a cath in my chest for infusions. It makes iv infusions or injection a lot easier, don’t have to access a vein every time. Picc line is basically the same thing. She’ll be fine.

A PICC line is something that they insert in preparation for long-term IV therapy (abx [antibiotics] for Tiffany; chemo, other stuff for others.) It’s a bit less likely to get infected than the basic IV access in the crook of the elbow (antecubical vein), and you don’t have to worry about having to keep the arm straight to allow the fluids and drugs flow in. (Bending your elbow with the typical IV access can cut off the med flow.)

The name/fancy talk breaks down to: PI - peripherally inserted, meaning the entrance is in an arm or leg, and C - central, meaning that the end of the tube is in the central part of the vascular system, in this case, ending up in the heart itself for optimum distribution through her body, and final C meaning catheter.

So basically, a PICC, peripherally inserted central catheter, means that it is a catheter that starts on the periphery/ outer parts of the body (arm in Tiffany’s case) and winds up centrally (in the heart.) It’s the best way to deliver medication to the entire body without possibly causing problems to the peripheral blood vessels (arm, etc.)

Joe, I would still really, really, really zero in with the doc about the implant, and the timing on removing it. If there is a locus of infection in the implant, it will continue to pump bacteria into her body (this is called “seeding.”) People who have had a knee or hip replacement that gets infected have the prosthesis (artificial joint) removed FIRST and then have the 28 days of antibiotics. (Also happens with heart valves and other gadgets placed in the body.) If the implant is believed to be the source of the infection, all the IV abx in the world will only (maybe) hold the door against the real problem.

I do think that this is a lawyer + doctor issue for optimal financial outcomes. But for Tiffany’s health and life, you guys need to do the best possible medical attack.

A PICC line is something that they insert in preparation for long-term IV therapy (abx [antibiotics] for Tiffany; chemo, other stuff for others.) It’s a bit less likely to get infected than the basic IV access in the crook of the elbow (antecubical vein), and you don’t have to worry about having to keep the arm straight to allow the fluids and drugs flow in. (Bending your elbow with the typical IV access can cut off the med flow.)

The name/fancy talk breaks down to: PI - peripherally inserted, meaning the entrance is in an arm or leg, and C - central, meaning that the end of the tube is in the central part of the vascular system, in this case, ending up in the heart itself for optimum distribution through her body, and final C meaning catheter.

So basically, a PICC, peripherally inserted central catheter, means that it is a catheter that starts on the periphery/ outer parts of the body (arm in Tiffany’s case) and winds up centrally (in the heart.) It’s the best way to deliver medication to the entire body without possibly causing problems to the peripheral blood vessels (arm, etc.)

Joe, I would still really, really, really zero in with the doc about the implant, and the timing on removing it. If there is a locus of infection in the implant, it will continue to pump bacteria into her body (this is called “seeding.”) People who have had a knee or hip replacement that gets infected have the prosthesis (artificial joint) removed FIRST and then have the 28 days of antibiotics. (Also happens with heart valves and other gadgets placed in the body.) If the implant is believed to be the source of the infection, all the IV abx in the world will only (maybe) hold the door against the real problem.

I do think that this is a lawyer + doctor issue for optimal financial outcomes. But for Tiffany’s health and life, you guys need to do the best possible medical attack.
On the other hand, my uncle got an infection in his replacement and they were able to get it without removing the artificial knee.

Reactions: VolNExile

I agree about removing it. I told her if that's what is causing the infection, then all this will just keep going.

Meh, a few years later fell over dead on his farm from an aortic aneurysm. I do miss him but he went quickly.
Oh damn, so sorry to hear that. But there’s a lot to be said for not having a long dragged-out period of misery, when there isn’t a realistic option of a good life in the future. Just what I’m hoping for with my own life.

Oh damn, so sorry to hear that. But there’s a lot to be said for not having a long dragged-out period of misery, when there isn’t a realistic option of a good life in the future. Just what I’m hoping for with my own life.
You ain't getting sick or nothing till you make my sammich!!😄

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back