New Uniform Pictures

Don't like the uniform being messed with. When the Vols or another SEC team that I was interested in wasn't on tv I hunted for Penn State because they believed in a fundamentally sound team with plain uniforms with no names on the back. It was all about 'team' and not individual flashiness. Want good, sound fundamental football with basic uniforms not a team running around worrying about making a fashion statement.

Then go cheer for them... you seem like a perfect penn state fan anyways...

Reactions: 2 people
Fair question.

I never said I wasn't okay with the "Smokey" color at all - I'm against it as the primary color. Also, from the photos, I don't think the helmet matches that particular uni very well.

If they want to use that uniform as one-wear-per-year recruiting tool, which I still question, then why not go all the way and have a helmet that matches the rest of the uniform, too?

Lastly, if you really know UT Tradition, you know how the orange and white color scheme was originally selected . . . and, it didn't involve gray. The gray was only originally introduced to help outline the numbers and offer the graphics arts folks more of a palette to work from with marketing literature and/or printed materials (not necessarily in that order).

I'll just leave this here for any further reference to "UT tradition"...

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 24

Nice pic - looks great. But that doesn't address my comment regarding how the original colors for the university were chosen (note first uniform shown in your pic).

Still a great image.

Editing my post to make a correction / admission. Also, from your pic, my information regarding introduction of the gray was not complete - my comment was based on modern day (in my life-time). It is obvious that they did introduce the gray much earlier, but the original colors were based on the wildflower that was on the hill when they first erected the college . . . and that's where it came from.

Last edited:
Don't like the uniform being messed with. When the Vols or another SEC team that I was interested in wasn't on tv I hunted for Penn State because they believed in a fundamentally sound team with plain uniforms with no names on the back. It was all about 'team' and not individual flashiness. Want good, sound fundamental football with basic uniforms not a team running around worrying about making a fashion statement.

And all that pasteurizing of your drinking milk and doing your bathroom business indoors like a lil dandy!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

"What the crap is the band doing? They are forming a "T" for the players to run onto the field through. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. That Florida guy Dickey has got to show more respect to the Tennessee tradition! First it was that stupid Checkerboard in the end zones now this!" --
Probably said by several Tennessee fans on September 25, 1965 at the start of the game vs. Army!

Reactions: 5 people
the grey ones are piss poor. the black jerseys/shoes worn in 2009 were fine, for one game.

this ain't no fashion week!!

it's orange and white.

we are the Big Orange!!

"What the crap is the band doing? They are forming a "T" for the players to run onto the field through. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. That Florida guy Dickey has got to show more respect to the Tennessee tradition! First it was that stupid Checkerboard in the end zones now this!" --
Probably said by several Tennessee fans on September 25, 1965 at the start of the game vs. Army!

Well said. Great traditions are made when it is the dawn of a new day
, a new era. Combine that with success and voila, a new tradition.

I know what you're saying, it's going to be all hell breaking loose when a team with the players' name on the back of their jerseys or a decal on their helmet wins the national championship. Damn flashy youngsters with those names and all.

Reactions: 1 person
we are the Big Orange!!

Which is why the uniform worn in 11 of the 12 regular season games will be a combination orange and white and why if you actually look at the whole alternate uniform, you will notice orange and white helmet, undershirt, numbers, striping, socks and chest text. Tennessee will wear the gray uniforms and then everyone, regardless of opinion will go on with their lives.

I would like to see a grey helmet with the orange power T with the smokey uni just for contrast.

For those who don't like the change, ask yourself "Do I like the checkerboard end zones?" Of course you do.

Last edited:
I like the new smokey uniforms, but wouldn't mind seeing just the new tops with the orange bottoms... kinda lightens it up a little bit and I think helps the traditional white helmet fit in better.

vol uniform.jpg

wellbuygif.gif

:whistling:

the grey ones are piss poor. the black jerseys/shoes worn in 2009 were fine, for one game.

this ain't no fashion week!!

it's orange and white.

we are the Big Orange!!

My God...how can some of you people not get this through your thick skulls!!? The Smokey uni's are for ONE game, not the whole season. Now pull your tampons out and grow another set. Crybabies.

Reactions: 7 people
My God...how can some of you people not get this through your thick skulls!!? The Smokey uni's are for ONE game, not the whole season. Now pull your tampons out and grow another set. Crybabies.

Yep, it's just for a splash at the Oregon game on national TV.

Digging back 100 years to find a long-forgotten incorporation of gray isn't really a move based on "tradition". I like them, but let's just call it what it is...a completely new take on the Vols wardrobe.

VN Store

Back