Nice analysis of NC State from Rob Lewis

Was at that Memphis unbelievable loss. A couple of factors took some of the fire out of Tennessee in that game, but we never should have lost that game. Al Wilson was injured ea in the game and did not return. We were sitting close to his mother and she was very upset with hid injury. At halftime, Al had called out Manning and the offense exicuted at about 30% of its potential all day. The play which broke the back of the game was a long punt return where it appeared that the returner ‘s knee was down and the return defense quit on the play. Memphis scored on that play and Tennessee never recovered. I still believe the punt returner was down, but the whistle never blew. That was the most disappointing lost I can remember with the loss to Wyoming in Knoxville being a close second. I understand the halftime locker room that day in Memphis was not a happy Gathering.
Sheep happens to everybody, including our beloved Vols.

We should beat this team soundly
We should. I just think it will be a closer game than it should be, and a good kick in the pants that wakes up the team as a whole. I think we win by 10, but we should win by 21. I am afraid NC State will score more than we are comfortable with.

Reactions: Lekvolrrah
This is exactly the reason we should not be playing games like this. I like a lot of what Danny White has done, but not buying out this game was a giant mistake IMO. The SEC slate is already hard as it is, there's no reason to test ourselves even more with these tough OOC games. He needs to get on buying us out of the Syracuse and Nebraska games in the next few years since those teams seem like they are on the rise. Look at what Ole Miss and Mizzou have scheduled this year. Cakewalk schedules, but they if they go 10-2 they will be in the playoff. We need to get to 10-2 by any means possible.

Was at that Memphis unbelievable loss. A couple of factors took some of the fire out of Tennessee in that game, but we never should have lost that game. Al Wilson was injured ea in the game and did not return. We were sitting close to his mother and she was very upset with hid injury. At halftime, Al had called out Manning and the offense exicuted at about 30% of its potential all day. The play which broke the back of the game was a long punt return where it appeared that the returner ‘s knee was down and the return defense quit on the play. Memphis scored on that play and Tennessee never recovered. I still believe the punt returner was down, but the whistle never blew. That was the most disappointing lost I can remember with the loss to Wyoming in Knoxville being a close second. I understand the halftime locker room that day in Memphis was not a happy Gathering.
Slight correction. It was a KO return and it was his elbow that hit the ground. But your point is well taken, that was the play that turned the game around.

It was a bang-bang play so I can see how the official missed it. If we had replay it would have been overturned.

To make it even worse the returner was from Cleveland.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
This is exactly the reason we should not be playing games like this. I like a lot of what Danny White has done, but not buying out this game was a giant mistake IMO. The SEC slate is already hard as it is, there's no reason to test ourselves even more with these tough OOC games. He needs to get on buying us out of the Syracuse and Nebraska games in the next few years since those teams seem like they are on the rise. Look at what Ole Miss and Mizzou have scheduled this year. Cakewalk schedules, but they if they go 10-2 they will be in the playoff. We need to get to 10-2 by any means possible.
How do they buy out? Was a buy out in the contract when they initially scheduled this game? Given that their other three non conference opponents are easy Ws, I don’t think this one is that tough. Definitely tougher than say, UVA last year in Nashville

We should. I just think it will be a closer game than it should be, and a good kick in the pants that wakes up the team as a whole. I think we win by 10, but we should win by 21. I am afraid NC State will score more than we are comfortable with.
We are currently favored by 5. If you believe the line should be 20+, take out a second mortgage and be sure to post the betting slip here 😂

I watched the Citrus Bowl the other day and man oh man did the announcers tout the mighty Iowa defense, over and over and over and over and well, think you get the point, right? What was that final score...????
I do believe, had Iowa played the backup QB, that score would have been VERY different in that game. He exhibited better passing skills, elusive running ability, and was giving our defense fits, but too late in the game.

How do they buy out? Was a buy out in the contract when they initially scheduled this game? Given that their other three non conference opponents are easy Ws, I don’t think this one is that tough. Definitely tougher than say, UVA last year in Nashville
Every OOC game has a buy out clause. We could probably buy out the game for $750k or so. And then we could schedule a Ball State type of team and pay them $750k to come to Neyland. So for roughly $1.5M we could guarantee ourselves another win. $1.5M is relative chump change compared to the money, exposure, and recruiting boost a playoff appearance would provide.

Reactions: VFL9798

After what should be a warm-up against Chattanooga to open the season Tennessee will travel to Charlotte to take on the NC State Wolfpack for a neutral site game in the Duke’s Mayo Classic which will be a nationally televised contest.
NC State is coming off a 9-4 campaign in head Coach Dave Doeren’s 11th season leading the Wolfpack.
NC State got off to a fairly dismal 4-3 start in 2023 that included a blowout loss at home to Notre Dame, a 13-10 home loss to Louisville, a last-minute field goal to beat Virginia at home.
The Wolfpack regrouped though and rattled off five straight wins to close the regular season, but missed a chance at a 10-win season with a loss to Kansas State in the Pop Tart Bowl.
Still, NC State closed 2023 with some legit momentum and they’ll be looking to build on that in 2024. The ACC is looking a little wide open, and a win over a ranked Tennessee team in a spot like this could stamp the Wolfpack as an early season contender in that conference.
2023 Record: 9-4 (6-2 ACC)
Head Coach: Dave Doeren (13th year 81-58 at NC State overall, 104-62 overall)

One day Rob will learn when and where to use a comma. Lol.

I see your point but I don’t like the mismatch games. Beating Tennessee Tech or a similar team is just boring to watch and probably provides less developmental opportunity than a good scrimmage. IMHO, if we are not good enough to beat NC State, we are not a playoff contender anyway.

Buy out games with Syracuse, Nebraska, and NC St?

These are mid level OOC games. No reason to run scared.

I disagree. This is a very winnable game for us, imo. NC State is not an elite team, but they’re not bad either and at the very least they might make it interesting. And another thing is it will probably reveal who on our team needs to be on the bench before the real meat of the schedule starts.

Soft mentality we already have 3 softer non conference opponents I like playing at least one tougher non conference opponent… if we want to return to top levels we can’t hide anyway so nc state in week 2 will do a lot more for the team than unc Wilmington will… win or lose you will learn a lot more about yourself and be better for it. If we can beat teams like this out of conference we don’t deserve a playoff spot anyway… the big dogs would not have any feat of nc state this year and we are on the road to becoming one of the big dogs again.

We can’t play all cup cakes. NCST is good challenge. Prob 3-4th place acc team?

Not even beginning to sound trite or boastful,but,wasn't Idiots Out Wandering Around(IOWA), supposed to have a great defense last year?Just thought I'd throw that out to ya'll.

Joly gets to play us two years in a row. Think he’s still sore Heupel passed on him?

The Marshall Game was one of only 2 games they gave up over 28 points and they won it.. shootouts tend to be that way. They gave up an average of 20 points a game. no one said they had a great defense he said stingy and pointed out it was mostly at the end of the season... their last 5 regular season games they gave up 17, 6, 6, 28, 20 in wins I think that fits the definition. They took 4 L's to decent teams all made bowls and were ranked at some point in the season. It is not like they were struggling against lower competition.

We should and likely will be NC State. The one big advantage and disadvantage we have is we play them week 2. They are bringing in a new QB and pretty much everyone projected to start in their offense outside of one WR and the Oline is new to their program. Thats a lot of people to get up to speed. We on the other hand return mostly guys who have been in the program at least a year and Nico got some PT last year so he is not starting at zero. For both teams I think it comes down to Defenses. They are replacing a lot of their back 7 as are we. NC state went hard in the portal and got some serious guys. The X factor, I think, in this game will be Hollywood Smothers...because that name is just too awesome. All jokes aside if we hear his name a lot we are in trouble.
Game will be decided in the trenches and the Vols are much better than NCSt on both lines.

Not even beginning to sound trite or boastful,but,wasn't Idiots Out Wandering Around(IOWA), supposed to have a great defense last year?Just thought I'd throw that out to ya'll.
Think of the key point here is that NCST actually has something that remotely resembles an offense so that makes them more dangerous than Iowa ever thought about being last year.

Reactions: Dansky
The Pack will field a very good team. Do not look past them.

I'll be there with my posse. Charlotte is a fun town.

Reminds me of when we opened the season against NC State in 2012. There was alot of worry about them upsetting us. We were clearly the better team and won 35-21.

Those were the DARK DAYS. I hope this game is NOTHING like that. Please, I beg you, don't compare those times to now. Both teams were a hot mess.

I was at that game. My perception was that both fan bases felt like they had a puncher's chance. I guess we were technically favored by Vegas, but the line was only -3.5 to -4.5. It was played at a neutral site in Atlanta. They had a better Sr QB (Glennon). They had an All American corner (Amerson). They had a better coach, although both coaches were fired that year. We had CP.....and that's all that mattered in the end. He was poetry in motion. Such a shame he didn't have a complete team around him.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib

VN Store

Back