Nice analysis of NC State from Rob Lewis

After what should be a warm-up against Chattanooga to open the season Tennessee will travel to Charlotte to take on the NC State Wolfpack for a neutral site game in the Duke’s Mayo Classic which will be a nationally televised contest.
NC State is coming off a 9-4 campaign in head Coach Dave Doeren’s 11th season leading the Wolfpack.
NC State got off to a fairly dismal 4-3 start in 2023 that included a blowout loss at home to Notre Dame, a 13-10 home loss to Louisville, a last-minute field goal to beat Virginia at home.
The Wolfpack regrouped though and rattled off five straight wins to close the regular season, but missed a chance at a 10-win season with a loss to Kansas State in the Pop Tart Bowl.
Still, NC State closed 2023 with some legit momentum and they’ll be looking to build on that in 2024. The ACC is looking a little wide open, and a win over a ranked Tennessee team in a spot like this could stamp the Wolfpack as an early season contender in that conference.
2023 Record: 9-4 (6-2 ACC)
Head Coach: Dave Doeren (13th year 81-58 at NC State overall, 104-62 overall)

WGWTFA 🍊🍊🍊

Seriously, if we don’t win this by double digits then our conference record will be awful.
Yep. I don’t understand the ones saying this should be a really tough game. Now they got a good QB but people need to understand that his success was under Chadwells system. His system is almost as offensive friendly as Heupels.

We are superior to them at virtually every main skill position. I believe Heupel is the better HC. If we can’t dominate then we have problems.

Reactions: VolFanatic27
Well, back in the day, a Peyton lead team, and a stand-out defense, pizzed their pants against a way inferior Memphis team. The oopsies can happen to anybody. Just ask Michigan about Appalachian State. Or Oklahoma about Boise State, in a bowl game no less.

There was blood on the saddle and blood all around
And a great big puddle of blood on the ground

Oh, pity the cowboy, all bloody and red
For the bronco fell on him and bashed in his head
Boise was tough when Peterson was there. That game was no fluke. Best game planning I think I ever saw. Oklahoma never knew what play was coming next. I had to be at work early the next day but I couldn't turn the game off.

They did a replay of that return in today's replay climate that play would have been brought back. His knee touched and his elbow touched both should have brought a whistle but that was the old rules. So we lost by those rules.
He was down even with the old rules. That was just a blown call. Still, we were favored by about 50 jillion points.

Not intimidated by NC State in the slightest, honestly. I probably shouldn’t say that because this is Tennessee football we’re talking about, but I think the Vols run this team off the field if they play a clean game. That’s the key. No turnovers, no stupid penalties and the Vols’ talent advantage will really become evident. I kind’ve view NC State like Kentucky. Solid, well-coached squad, but don’t have the horses to go 4 quarters with Tennessee as long as Tennessee doesn’t shoot themselves in the foot. We have a clear advantage on both lines of scrimmage imo. NC State also had the Bednarick and Butkus Award winner at LB last year, but he plays for the Steelers now.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Well, back in the day, a Peyton lead team, and a stand-out defense, pizzed their pants against a way inferior Memphis team. The oopsies can happen to anybody. Just ask Michigan about Appalachian State. Or Oklahoma about Boise State, in a bowl game no less.

There was blood on the saddle and blood all around
And a great big puddle of blood on the ground

Oh, pity the cowboy, all bloody and red
For the bronco fell on him and bashed in his head
Yeah and those losses are remembered as historic. Sorry but those excuses you just mentioned aren’t gonna cut it. We are a better team than NC St.

Yeah and those losses are remembered as historic. Sorry but those excuses you just mentioned aren’t gonna cut it. We are a better team than NC St.
Oh, so you ARE a Vols fan, and not just a pretentious gum flapper? Imagine that! Here you go, not my usual brand, but...it is orange.
1721041551956.png

Remember that UConn TE that carved up Vols last year? Guess where he transferred to-----
You mean the guy who carved us up, along with his entire team, for a grand total of 3 points?

Heh.

It's a team sport, and a game of strategy. Let them hand off to Dilbert all night, or get the ball through the air to Barney as much as they want, if it means they're not scoring.

WGWTFA

Go Vols!

This will be a tougher game than most think. Should be a good test before going to OK 2 weeks later.
Doesn't seem so.

This is exactly the reason we should not be playing games like this. I like a lot of what Danny White has done, but not buying out this game was a giant mistake IMO. The SEC slate is already hard as it is, there's no reason to test ourselves even more with these tough OOC games. He needs to get on buying us out of the Syracuse and Nebraska games in the next few years since those teams seem like they are on the rise. Look at what Ole Miss and Mizzou have scheduled this year. Cakewalk schedules, but they if they go 10-2 they will be in the playoff. We need to get to 10-2 by any means possible.
Brother, you're stuck in the 2010s. We're not that team any more. Don't fear middling schools from the other P4 conferences.

The 'Pack will have a good offense; Grayson McCall can throw the ball, and is what; a 5th year player/starter and 3 time all SBC from Coastal? Quality RB's and Receivers. Tennessee should open as a 6 point favorite, should be lots of points. 38-34. VOLS
It sure was a lot of points. On our side at least.

Yep, won't be an "easy win"
Seemed pretty one-sided to me. 20-3 at the half. Just kept getting wider after that.

We will cure BVS one victory at a time, brothers and sisters!

Go Vols!

Doesn't seem so.

Brother, you're stuck in the 2010s. We're not that team any more. Don't fear middling schools from the other P4 conferences.

It sure was a lot of points. On our side at least.

Seemed pretty one-sided to me. 20-3 at the half. Just kept getting wider after that.

We will cure BVS one victory at a time, brothers and sisters!

Go Vols!
JohnWardForever said:
McCall did all his big things in the Sun Belt. This is Big Boy Ball. It won't be close by the fourth quarter. Advantage on Offense=Tennessee Advantage on Defense= Tennessee ST----Tennessee. ....... FANS---Tennessee. Cmon Man. I don't usually hype my team like this but I believe what I saw Saturday. Nico will light them up. And the defense will shut them down. -------------------- I see you reached back and found my previous quote BEFORE I saw what Tennessee did to Chatt and what Western Carolina did to Ncst. You can see from my quote last week I changed my assessment.

JohnWardForever said:
McCall did all his big things in the Sun Belt. This is Big Boy Ball. It won't be close by the fourth quarter. Advantage on Offense=Tennessee Advantage on Defense= Tennessee ST----Tennessee. ....... FANS---Tennessee. Cmon Man. I don't usually hype my team like this but I believe what I saw Saturday. Nico will light them up. And the defense will shut them down. -------------------- I see you reached back and found my previous quote BEFORE I saw what Tennessee did to Chatt and what Western Carolina did to Ncst. You can see from my quote last week I changed my assessment.
You're right, you did. I'm glad you had a change of heart

But there were plenty of folks in that thread who showed confidence in our lads even back in those earlier days. Only a few didn't. Those are the ones I quoted.

Go Vols!

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
You're right, you did. I'm glad you had a change of heart

But there were plenty of folks in that thread who showed confidence in our lads even back in those earlier days. Only a few didn't. Those are the ones I quoted.

Go Vols!
So glad you feel better about yourself. I've been saying I told you so myself.

VN Store

Back