Observations from Autzen

Dang dude! That breaks down to 7,777 posts per year that you've been on VN...or 21+ posts per day! WTF?
:eek:hmy: :loco: :crazy:

I've been here for 10 years, so it's more like 7,000 per year and 19 per day. I cut it off there because 20 posts per day would indicate an obsession or something. :crazy:

Reactions: 3 people
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but UNLV sells beer at their games, until 1/2 way thru the 3rd quarter

Some older Oregon fans explained that the university sold the land to boosters, they build the building and then lease it back to the university so they can get around selling alcohol and such. Not sure if that is true, just what we were told.

Here is a pretty cool panoramic shot of their facilities that I took yesterday. Their outdoor fields are behind these buildings as well.

IMG_3963_zpsc2cb05c8.jpg

I have a bunch of other pictures if there is a thread for those sorts of things.

Reactions: 1 person
1. Strong showing by Vol fans. Plenty of orange.

2. The crowd noise was a little overblown. The student sections were full of students but it wasn't nearly as loud as Neyland last year for the FL game. For a 50000 seat stadium it was impressive though.

3. Worley does not look good. Not sure why the freshmen aren't getting a look.

4. That's a fun stadium. You can actually walk into the practice facility to buy beer, food, etc during the game.

5. Yesterday was a wakeup call. We have a long way to go.

6. Most fans there were very nice. A few bad apples, mostly students, but everyone else was fairly accommodating.

7. Oregon cheerleaders are the hottest I've ever seen. Wife just read this and hit me. Don't care, it had to be said.

I agree with the above, I sat in Section 40, row 29 and it was great for those few minutes when we had the lead. Point #7 is 100% accurate! :)

One more thing, the Oregon fans I talked to all said they were impressed by how many of us Tennessee fans were at the game, they said by far it was the most fans they had seen from any opponent at one of their home games.

Reactions: 2 people
I was at the game and had an Oregon fan tell me that was the most orange ever in the stadium...that's significant because their biggest rival-Oregon St-wears orange and is only an hour down the road.

I also thought it wasn't as loud as I expected, but, their classes haven't started, so many of the students still aren't there. Hence, one reason why it appeared to be so many UT fans.

As for the alcohol, it's up to the school. Many are considering selling it now, since attendance (and therefore the almighty revenue) is down. This would be a way to make alot of money.

2. The crowd noise was a little overblown. The student sections were full of students but it wasn't nearly as loud as Neyland last year for the FL game. For a 50000 seat stadium it was impressive though.

4. That's a fun stadium. You can actually walk into the practice facility to buy beer, food, etc during the game.

6. Most fans there were very nice. A few bad apples, mostly students, but everyone else was fairly accommodating.

7. Oregon cheerleaders are the hottest I've ever seen. Wife just read this and hit me. Don't care, it had to be said.

My gf was pretty angry with my gawking stares during the game, and the occasional "mmm, gah" - sorry nature made me this way :)

Reactions: 2 people
Forgot to mention there were a couple Alabama fans in full gear at the game. You would really miss your own game for that if you're a Bama fan? Those clowns never cease to amaze.

Only idiots are Bama fans & morons pretend to be!

I was impressed with the Orange following also. Good post, agree with all especially number 7. ( my wife doesnt get on volnation so I'm safe )

That's all an SEC school needs is to sell beer at the football games, as if we don't have enough drunks there already!

I wasnt as impressed this year as in years past with the cheerleaders. Lot if paper bag specials imo, just a couple lookers from what I could see from the tv.

The game was never going to be as loud as the stadium gets. First, no offense to you guys, but this wasn't a marquee game. Sure, you're an SEC team; but it's not like you guys rolled into Autzen with the #10 team. Fact is, stadiums are only their loudest - and loudest for prolonged periods of time - when a good team comes to town.

Second, the game was over cater than we could all say Autzen Stadium. No reason to be deafening when your team scores ever 4 plays.

And last, you guys ha an awesome showing. But remember, that whole group of fans filling up that section adjacent to our student section? They wouldn't have been there had Oregon's scholastic year a started. School doesn't beging until September 25th I believe. Which means that huge contingent of Tennessee fans near the north side of the stadium would have normally been UO students, which in turn means a louder stadium atmosphere. Don't judge the loudness of our stadium on a student deprived, blow out game against an unranked opponent.

Not dissing your program or fans at all. Just wanted to point out the reality of the noise situation. Hope you enjoyed the trip nonetheless. It's a fun experience, game day in Eugene.

The game was never going to be as loud as the stadium gets. First, no offense to you guys, but this wasn't a marquee game. Sure, you're an SEC team; but it's not like you guys rolled into Autzen with the #10 team. Fact is, stadiums are only their loudest - and loudest for prolonged periods of time - when a good team comes to town.

Second, the game was over cater than we could all say Autzen Stadium. No reason to be deafening when your team scores ever 4 plays.

And last, you guys ha an awesome showing. But remember, that whole group of fans filling up that section adjacent to our student section? They wouldn't have been there had Oregon's scholastic year a started. School doesn't beging until September 25th I believe. Which means that huge contingent of Tennessee fans near the north side of the stadium would have normally been UO students, which in turn means a louder stadium atmosphere. Don't judge the loudness of our stadium on a student deprived, blow out game against an unranked opponent.

Not dissing your program or fans at all. Just wanted to point out the reality of the noise situation. Hope you enjoyed the trip nonetheless. It's a fun experience, game day in Eugene.

yet we were told time and time again last week that it would be like nothing UT has ever experienced. If that were true then at least the 1st quarter would have been loud and by all accounts it was not.

Reactions: 5 people
I was at the game and had an Oregon fan tell me that was the most orange ever in the stadium...that's significant because their biggest rival-Oregon St-wears orange and is only an hour down the road.

I also thought it wasn't as loud as I expected, but, their classes haven't started, so many of the students still aren't there. Hence, one reason why it appeared to be so many UT fans.

As for the alcohol, it's up to the school. Many are considering selling it now, since attendance (and therefore the almighty revenue) is down. This would be a way to make alot of money.

All you have to do is look at the Strip. The city of knoxville shut down the party. I'm dead serious about that -- before we used to have beer outside and in tents attached to the restaurants and on every corner. Then the city decided NO. What happened? Those businesses relied on game days to be able to operate year round (you wouldn't believe the $$$$$ that would come in on Fri and Sat gamedays) but when the city shut it down it was impossible to operate without them. Students and faculty leave over the summer and it's dead -- you gotta be able to make bank on gamedays.

Now. We have "WE BUY GOLD" businesses on the corner. And other cruddy businesses.

Bring back the strip and you will bring back attendance.

It's really a pointless argument, but I will say I noticed something. Throughout the week we hear how autzen will be this an that. Then as game day drew near we start getting the school not in session discussion. I even recall a poster saying you're setting yourself up for the excuse after the game aren't you. Let's be real. Your fans are loud for the amount of people, and sure your stadium design is this and that, but 100K+ is not matched by autzen when the stadium is actually rocking.

And about the whole crowd not into a blowout. I'm pretty sure when the game started an we drove down the field and scored after stopping your offense. Then held them to a field goal; I bet that place was into the game enough for fans that attended to know it doesn't match the likes of the stadiums we've played in.

It's really a pointless argument, but I will say I noticed something. Throughout the week we hear how autzen will be this an that. Then as game day drew near we start getting the school not in session discussion. I even recall a poster saying you're setting yourself up for the excuse after the game aren't you. Let's be real. Your fans are loud for the amount of people, and sure your stadium design is this and that, but 100K+ is not matched by autzen when the stadium is actually rocking.

And about the whole crowd not into a blowout. I'm pretty sure when the game started an we drove down the field and scored after stopping your offense. Then held them to a field goal; I bet that place was into the game enough for fans that attended to know it doesn't match the likes of the stadiums we've played in.

This is true. I judged it based on when we were ahead and not later when it was a blowout. I'm sure other factors like that fact that it was a day game, unranked nonrival opponent, etc. factored in but last years Fl game was ear bleeding loud and Autzen was just loud. No false start penalties either. I even walked down to the front as another poster had suggested. Pointless argument though, Oregon obviously has a passionate fan base and it was surprisingly intimidating there.

I was at the ducks/huskies game last year @ Autzen. It was a much louder crowd, I'm sure that has to do with the hatred for the huskies. This game was definitely not the loudest it's been at Autzen, but I didn't expect it.

OBSERVATIONS. ..I thought you meant something like you saw Oregons team after the game pull theirmasks off and it was the San Francisco 49ers or something ..

You guys keep talking about how much Neyland was rocking for Tenn-Florida.

Judge Oregon's crowd on a legit game. Oregon-USC, Oregon-Washington, Oregon-Stanford, PAC-12 title game. Rivals, ranked opponents, titles or Heisman's on the line.

Oregon fans like the Tennessee brand and respect the history. But there wasn't a fan in Autzen who didn't think that we'd win by 40+. And day games are a different animal. Most "crazy" atmospheres that go down in history as crazy - be it PAC, SEC, B1G, etc. - occur during prime time night games, when the nation is watching.

Everything about the game - except the SEC sticker on your uniforms - was a ho hum game.

And again, it's not an excuse, it's a numerical fact. Over half the student population is not in Eugene. School doesn't start until end of September. The extra fans that Tennessee funneled into our regular student section were only there because our students weren't there. That's a significant number of the loudest and drunkest fans not being in the stadium. Just a fact.

And for those of you bragging about how many more Tennessee fans made it to Autzen than Oregon State fans who are just an hour away: remember that this was a novelty game for you. And also remember that few teams travel well to Autzen anymore. Oregon State has lost something like 7 in a row, all by what feels like a gazillion points. Let me ask you this...if Knoxville were even 20 minutes away, how many of you would spend the time and money to watch Oregon beat you 59-14 every year?

As fun as it is, and as much as I'll never complain about winning, the general domination of Oregon has caused both home and away fans to become quite apathetic.

VN Store

Back