Observations from Autzen

I understand what you're saying but I still don't understand why Oregon fans think Tennessee was going to be intimidated by the noise. EA Sports said it themselves. "We can go anywhere for noise, but we come to Neyland Stadium for a lot of noise." Still much respect to Oregon, your stadium, and your fans.

I'll tell you why. 95% of oregon fans have never been to a game outside of a pac-12 stadium.and considering that the oregon game day experience is miles ahead of other pac-12 schools. husky stadium is also pretty loud but since they have been sucky for the last decade, crowd noise has been irrelevant for them.

So duck fans dont really have a whole lot to compare too. when you live in the south, almost every team has a 90k seat stadium and are all pretty easy to travel too.the few oregon fans who have traveled outside of the west coast certainly understand where autzen falls inline.

and when you dont have past championships to talk about, you try to talk about other things, like stadium experience.

Reactions: 1 person
My friends went to Neyland for the Oregon game. They said it was pretty loud to start, but that the lightning delay and the fact that the crowd had their faces buried in their hands by the 3rd quarter had a lot to do with the silence. I wouldn't judge Neyland's rowdiness based on the experience of my friends at that one game. It was all too circumstantial, as was ours. That's all I'm saying.

My wife and I went to the UT-Cal game in 2007 in Berkeley. (This was the year after the beating Cal experienced at Neyland in 2006. Sadly, Cal returned the favor in a less dramatic fashion that day ...) As we were walking to the stadium and I had on my UT jersey, one of the Cal fans said (unprompted) that they had been to the game in Neyland the year before and that it was the loudest thing they had ever heard.

Reactions: 2 people
I was at the ducks/huskies game last year @ Autzen. It was a much louder crowd, I'm sure that has to do with the hatred for the huskies. This game was definitely not the loudest it's been at Autzen, but I didn't expect it.

I don't know who would say that there is no difference in the crowds at Neyland, because some games are definitely louder than others.

I'll tell you why. 95% of oregon fans have never been to a game outside of a pac-12 stadium.and considering that the oregon game day experience is miles ahead of other pac-12 schools. husky stadium is also pretty loud but since they have been sucky for the last decade, crowd noise has been irrelevant for them.

So Duck fans dont really have a whole lot to compare too. when you live in the south, almost every team has a 90k seat stadium and are all pretty easy to travel too.the few oregon fans who have traveled outside of the west coast certainly understand where autzen falls inline.

And when you dont have past championships to talk about, you try to talk about other things, like stadium experience.

95%? Is that from your own personal research? Haha. Don't mean to poke fun, but that seams like a rather arbitrary number.

In regards to you "almost every team has a 90,000 seat stadium - way off. Half of the stadiums seat 82,000 or less, and only 4 of 14 stadiums - or roughly a quarter - seat 90,000 fans. So that's a bit misinformed.

The big 4 SEC stadiums are big; but they're also the same size as other big stadiums (Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Florida State). I'm just always a little confused about where this rhetoric that the SEC holds exclusive monopoly on big stadiums comes from. And I'm also confused why people seem to think that size = intimidation.

My wife and I went to the UT-Cal game in 2007 in Berkeley. (This was the year after the beating Cal experienced at Neyland in 2006. Sadly, Cal returned the favor in a less dramatic fashion that day ...) As we were walking to the stadium and I had on my UT jersey, one of the Cal fans said (unprompted) that they had been to the game in Neyland the year before and that it was the loudest thing they had ever heard.

That's fine and well. It's a useless argument though. I mean, are you assuming that they had been to Autzen? Did they reveal that they had been to Autzen? Had they been to Penn State? Or Columbus? Or Va Tech? These are the problems with these arguments, in the end.

I guess im in the minority but I hate Oregon's style of football. Its a hurry up system that relys on a lot of small speedy guys and trickery. I always preferred a more traditional, smashmouth approach to the game.

You also sit on your porch and yell at kids, "Get off my lawn!" And then you watch CSPAN and eat your prunes. But that sounds fun too.

You also sit on your porch and yell at kids, "Get off my lawn!" And then you watch CSPAN and eat your prunes. But that sounds fun too.

We all know the news is bs 'round here :crazy: I guess smashmouth football isnt popular anymore and teams like oregon are the new bullies on the block. How many NC's you all have over there again?

95%? Is that from your own personal research? Haha. Don't mean to poke fun, but that seams like a rather arbitrary number.

In regards to you "almost every team has a 90,000 seat stadium - way off. Half of the stadiums seat 82,000 or less, and only 4 of 14 stadiums - or roughly a quarter - seat 90,000 fans. So that's a bit misinformed.

The big 4 SEC stadiums are big; but they're also the same size as other big stadiums (Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Florida State). I'm just always a little confused about where this rhetoric that the SEC holds exclusive monopoly on big stadiums comes from. And I'm also confused why people seem to think that size = intimidation.

Not sure if it always does, but I know in 2010 Chip Kelly himself said he an the team took awhile to just get used to how massive it was an how many people were around.

Never been to Oregon. Maybe that will change some day.

I like everything about Oregon. I like their style of football, the number of unique uniforms and the fact the school is unapologetic for scoring so many points.

Oregon's style of offense is the future of college football and I honestly believe CBJ will use our recent butt whipping to an advantage.

Keep winning Oregon, continue keeping it fun to watch and keep changing the uni's. this vol fan enjoys watching. Don't lose to Kiffin.

Ditto! ^

Not sure if it always does, but I know in 2010 Chip Kelly himself said he an the team took awhile to just get used to how massive it was an how many people were around.

I was there, and being an Oregon student and going to numerous games, I can say the first quarter at Neyland was the loudest I have heard. It got pretty quiet after we started scoring.

Huskie Stadium and Autzen still hold the decibal records. But there is much more to being intimidating that just the noise. I found the chants that most SEC schools have to be intimidating. However, at the end of the game all that matters is the scoreboard, and a good team can play anywhere.

They were probably Oregon fans dressed up in Bama gear just to be lame.

a group i know went to it. one is a UT fan. one was UK. one graduated UT and pulls for them when playing anyone but bama (explain that one to me) and one is a UGA grad that went to root against UT.

yes, unfortunately i know 3 of these 4 people

When student section seats are open, anyone can buy them without having to reveal who they're a fan of.

Eugene is small. Knoxville has a metropolitan population of 800,000+. Eugene has a metropolitan population of 350,000 plus. Further, your state has nearly twice the population, and Oregon over twice the area in terms of size, which means the state's population is scattered more.

And if that weren't enough, aside from Portland, most of UO's alumni core are in San Francisco and Los Angeles and Seattle. Quite far away compared to the closely packed alumni base of southern schools. So Oregon fans who don't live in Eugene have to choose with more financial care which games they're going to travel to. Fact is, UCLA and Stanford are going to be far better home games to see this year.

If you can't see why Autzen would have been "down" in terms of noise, I don't know what else to say.

name a football team within 500 miles of you that actually fields a decent team every year. UT has many fans that travel from 6+ hours away to attend games. We also compete with fans from every other team in this radius.

That's fine and well. It's a useless argument though. I mean, are you assuming that they had been to Autzen? Did they reveal that they had been to Autzen? Had they been to Penn State? Or Columbus? Or Va Tech? These are the problems with these arguments, in the end.

Not really trying to argue here, just passing along what I thought was an interesting experience. Obviously, in our 15 seconds of unprompted conversation, I didn't ask them to provide a detailed itinerary of their previous college stadium attendance and their rankings of noise levels.

Last edited:
name a football team within 500 miles of you that actually fields a decent team every year. UT has many fans that travel from 6+ hours away to attend games. We also compete with fans from every other team in this radius.

Boise State seems to do fine every year. Somehow Oregon State manages to win 8-9 games every year. Washington used to be the resident power, and after a decade of ineptitude, seem to be back. And Stanford would seem to be a pretty damn good team.

The west coast can't be judged against the south, nor vice versa. Each group of Pac schools - Arizona, SoCal, NorCal, Oregon, Washington, and now Colorado/Utah - are minimum 4-6 hours drive from the next, and that's the closes example. In almost ever other case, an expensive flight is required. That also meanns no RV. It means hotel.

Also remember that the Pac schools draw from 8 large/huge metropolitan areas - Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Salt Lake City, Denver, Las Vegas, and Seattle. Most of our alumni base lives in wealthy regions with many entertainment options (world-class restaurants, shows, bars, nightclubs, numerous professional teams, gambling, etc.).

The west coast is also home to the world's - not just the nation's, but the world's - greatest diversity of outdoor entertainment: beaches, deserts, mountains, national parks, vineyards, snowboarding, mountain biking, surfing, hiking, camping, fly fishing, wine tasting, hunting, etc. The West Coast is simply unmatched in regards to variation of entertainment. Cosmopolitan meets outdoors. There is simply no other place where you can surf, snowboard, ride ATVs in the desert, and eat a 3 Michelin star meal in the same day.

And because we are located in wealthier areas and are an alumni base with a higher income, in an ever-advancing world, that means 70+" TVs, giant living rooms, huge backyards, perpetual BBQ weather. It all means that watching from home for a huge alumni gathering makes more sense on most gamedays. Rooting for your team every stressful second at home with all your buddies, decked out in team gear and screaming and cheering and BBQing and talking strategy doesn't make you any less of a fan than people who choose to do that at the stadium.

And because the economy is tighter, and because our huge big-city alumni base spreads more money around to restaurants, bars, clubs, day trips to other big cities, shows, concerts, etc., people have to be more selective choosing which games they go to. Especially because most away games entail a $500 plane flight instead of a 3 hour drive.

I studied sociology and did a thesis on migration - part of that study focusing on fan commitment to travel. I love your guys' passion. It's effing brilliant and is part of what makes college football amazing. But simply put, the demographics, geography, and social status of the west coast means you cannot compare SEC country and Pac country in regards to who packs more stadiums, particularly for away games.

VN Store

Back