Observations from Autzen

This is kind of funny how mad you Oregon fans are that we thought Autzen wasn't deafening.

You obviously have the best fans in your conference but if you were in the SEC, Autzen would be lumped right in with half a dozen other places, which is why most UT fans weren't blown away (which is really a compliment based on the places you'd be lumped in with).

Also if Eugene was only 20 minutes from Knoxville then you'd probably have at least 10,000 UT fans there every other year, no matter how bad we were.

With all that said you have an absolutely excellent team this season and a great gameday atmosphere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I was at the ducks/huskies game last year @ Autzen. It was a much louder crowd, I'm sure that has to do with the hatred for the huskies. This game was definitely not the loudest it's been at Autzen, but I didn't expect it.

I didn't realize until Saturday how bad the Oregon fans hate U-Dub. I was shocked actually. Not Oregon State. Not USC. Not UCLA. But Washington? I mean whatever I guess. I was just shocked. And as far as the crowd noise, I was honestly disappointed. I've always wanted to visit Autzen Stadium due to how loud it supposedly gets. I didn't feel it Saturday.

Reactions: 2 people
You guys keep talking about how much Neyland was rocking for Tenn-Florida.

Judge Oregon's crowd on a legit game. Oregon-USC, Oregon-Washington, Oregon-Stanford, PAC-12 title game. Rivals, ranked opponents, titles or Heisman's on the line.

Oregon fans like the Tennessee brand and respect the history. But there wasn't a fan in Autzen who didn't think that we'd win by 40+. And day games are a different animal. Most "crazy" atmospheres that go down in history as crazy - be it PAC, SEC, B1G, etc. - occur during prime time night games, when the nation is watching.

Everything about the game - except the SEC sticker on your uniforms - was a ho hum game.

And again, it's not an excuse, it's a numerical fact. Over half the student population is not in Eugene. School doesn't start until end of September. The extra fans that Tennessee funneled into our regular student section were only there because our students weren't there. That's a significant number of the loudest and drunkest fans not being in the stadium. Just a fact.

And for those of you bragging about how many more Tennessee fans made it to Autzen than Oregon State fans who are just an hour away: remember that this was a novelty game for you. And also remember that few teams travel well to Autzen anymore. Oregon State has lost something like 7 in a row, all by what feels like a gazillion points. Let me ask you this...if Knoxville were even 20 minutes away, how many of you would spend the time and money to watch Oregon beat you 59-14 every year?

As fun as it is, and as much as I'll never complain about winning, the general domination of Oregon has caused both home and away fans to become quite apathetic.

The impressive thing about how many we brought (myself included) is that Tennessee has been awful for years now and still have that following.

Serious question, why did Oregon sell the student section seats to Tennessee fans and not Oregon fans? Or did they just go on sale through the ticket office and UT fans just happen to buy them up?

This is kind of funny how mad you Oregon fans are that we thought Autzen wasn't deafening.

You obviously have the best fans in your conference but if you were in the SEC, Autzen would be lumped right in with half a dozen other places, which is why most UT fans weren't blown away.

Also if Eugene was only 20 minutes from Knoxville then you'd probably have at least 10,000 UT fans there every other year, no matter how bad we were.

With all that said you have an absolutely excellent team this season and a great gameday atmosphere.

I don't man. I know there's fan commitment - especially for home games. But ask Washington fans. It's hard making a trip to a school to watch your team beat by 30 points every year for 10 years. Away game commitment has its limits.

And in the SEC, Oregon would be there with LSU, Florida, and Tennessee in ferocity. Watch "Fright night" highlights from the USC-Oregon game on Halloween a few years back.

And we're not bad. Oregon fans are annoyed to hear fans from a broken team predicted to lose by 28 on a midday game before students are even on campus say that Autzen was underwhelming. What did you expect? The atmosphere of Autzen if it were a night game, #2 against # 8, in the middle of fall term? It's stupid to make sweeping judgements after that one experience. If I went to Death Valley and watched LSU play Furman in a 50-3 blowout at midday, I wouldn't leave thinking "That wasn't so loud." I would base my opinion on LSU-Bama, night time kickoff, SEC title implications on the line, ranked opponents or serious rivals on the field.

It's like when someone hears about a place like Budapest: hottest women, so much fun, parties everywhere, best bars, coolest city ever. Then they go in January and leave thinking, "It wasn't that great. Kind of boring, actually." It's because you went when it was -5 degrees!!!!!! Go in the summer or spring when you can make an accurate assessment of how wild Budapest is. Same applies to stadium rowdiness.

I lived in Italy for 2 years. I went to a soccer game because I heard how crazy they are. I left thinking, "Meh." Then I learned that my city played a nobody team, and went back when they played their arch rivals, and it was absolutely insane. That's what annoys Oregon fans.

You guys keep talking about how much Neyland was rocking for Tenn-Florida.

Judge Oregon's crowd on a legit game. Oregon-USC, Oregon-Washington, Oregon-Stanford, PAC-12 title game. Rivals, ranked opponents, titles or Heisman's on the line.

Oregon fans like the Tennessee brand and respect the history. But there wasn't a fan in Autzen who didn't think that we'd win by 40+. And day games are a different animal. Most "crazy" atmospheres that go down in history as crazy - be it PAC, SEC, B1G, etc. - occur during prime time night games, when the nation is watching.

Everything about the game - except the SEC sticker on your uniforms - was a ho hum game.

And again, it's not an excuse, it's a numerical fact. Over half the student population is not in Eugene. School doesn't start until end of September. The extra fans that Tennessee funneled into our regular student section were only there because our students weren't there. That's a significant number of the loudest and drunkest fans not being in the stadium. Just a fact.

And for those of you bragging about how many more Tennessee fans made it to Autzen than Oregon State fans who are just an hour away: remember that this was a novelty game for you. And also remember that few teams travel well to Autzen anymore. Oregon State has lost something like 7 in a row, all by what feels like a gazillion points. Let me ask you this...if Knoxville were even 20 minutes away, how many of you would spend the time and money to watch Oregon beat you 59-14 every year?

As fun as it is, and as much as I'll never complain about winning, the general domination of Oregon has caused both home and away fans to become quite apathetic.

If we were that close you better believe that place wouldn't have enough tickets for us. We've been suffering for over 5 years now and we still consider just shy of 90K as being terrible for us. After everything we've been through. We had 60K at a spring game. We had a regular practice that was open to the public and had 40K.

Reactions: 2 people
I didn't realize until Saturday how bad the Oregon fans hate U-Dub. I was shocked actually. Not Oregon State. Not USC. Not UCLA. But Washington? I mean whatever I guess. I was just shocked. And as far as the crowd noise, I was honestly disappointed. I've always wanted to visit Autzen Stadium due to how loud it supposedly gets. I didn't feel it Saturday.

We. Hate. washington. It has to do with a long, long, long history of Seattle city slickers thinking they were better than Oregon country folk, and the way Washington fans and teams treats Oregon and its fans when our fortunes were reversed. I'm from Los Angeles, so I had to be taught. And it's crazy - it took me 10 minutes of listening to old timer Ducks talk about washington for me to develop a hatred for washington that is akin to an Armenian hating a Turk.

The exact reasons why are really fascinating and good old fashioned college football fun. I recommend giving the rivalry history a read. It goes all the way from them screwing us out of a bowl and trying to vote is out of the PAC ages ago.

I don't man. I know there's fan commitment - especially for home games. But ask Washington fans. It's hard making a trip to a school to watch your team beat by 30 points every year for 10 years. Away game commitment has its limits.

And in the SEC, Oregon would be there with LSU, Florida, and Tennessee in ferocity. Watch "Fright night" highlights from the USC-Oregon game on Halloween a few years back.

And we're not bad. Oregon fans are annoyed to hear fans from a broken team predicted to lose by 28 on a midday game before students are even on campus say that Autzen was underwhelming. What did you expect? The atmosphere of Autzen if it were a night game, #2 against # 8, in the middle of fall term? It's stupid to make sweeping judgements after that one experience. If I went to Death Valley and watched LSU play Furman in a 50-3 blowout at midday, I wouldn't leave thinking "That wasn't so loud." I would base my opinion on LSU-Bama, night time kickoff, SEC title implications on the line, ranked opponents or serious rivals on the field.

It's like when someone hears about a place like Budapest: hottest women, so much fun, parties everywhere, best bars, coolest city ever. Then they go in January and leave thinking, "It wasn't that great. Kind of boring, actually." It's because you went when it was -5 degrees!!!!!! Go in the summer or spring when you can make an accurate assessment of how wild Budapest is. Same applies to stadium rowdiness.

I lived in Italy for 2 years. I went to a soccer game because I heard how crazy they are. I left thinking, "Meh." Then I learned that my city played a nobody team, and went back when they played their arch rivals, and it was absolutely insane. That's what annoys Oregon fans.

I don't disagree but I think we hear so much about Autzen so the opinions being stated can only be of their experience this past Saturday. Not through the fault of Duck fans though.

The impressive thing about how many we brought (myself included) is that Tennessee has been awful for years now and still have that following.

Serious question, why did Oregon sell the student section seats to Tennessee fans and not Oregon fans? Or did they just go on sale through the ticket office and UT fans just happen to buy them up?

When student section seats are open, anyone can buy them without having to reveal who they're a fan of.

Eugene is small. Knoxville has a metropolitan population of 800,000+. Eugene has a metropolitan population of 350,000 plus. Further, your state has nearly twice the population, and Oregon over twice the area in terms of size, which means the state's population is scattered more.

And if that weren't enough, aside from Portland, most of UO's alumni core are in San Francisco and Los Angeles and Seattle. Quite far away compared to the closely packed alumni base of southern schools. So Oregon fans who don't live in Eugene have to choose with more financial care which games they're going to travel to. Fact is, UCLA and Stanford are going to be far better home games to see this year.

And I don't think you can really understate how big of an impact it is that Oregon wasn't in session academically. Oregon is a transplant school. The vast majority of UO students live far away from Eugene. The town is simply empty before academic year starts. Most away teams pack our stadium before school starts, especially a team with a huge loyal fan base who rarely gets the opportunity to go west. When school is in session, it's a whole different story. I'm from California. My roommates from Sophomore year were from San Francisco and Chicago. We missed the first 1-2 home games ever year. And we're a small sample size that is indicative of most of the school.

If you can't see why Autzen would have been "down" in terms of noise, I don't know what else to say.

My friends went to Neyland for the Oregon game. They said it was pretty loud to start, but that the lightning delay and the fact that the crowd had their faces buried in their hands by the 3rd quarter had a lot to do with the silence. I wouldn't judge Neyland's rowdiness based on the experience of my friends at that one game. It was all too circumstantial, as was ours. That's all I'm saying.

Exactly what all of the Duck fans told me during our visit!

Haha. I really am sorry that you guys couldn't experience the full Autzen roar. I'm not brig a homer. I'm a sports fan first, and I've been to a lot of games for a lot of teams in a lot of sports, and it truly is special. But I knew it would be a let down for you because of the academics quarter system at UO.

Either way, heard you guys were great in Eugene and Knoxville. By all accounts I've heard, you all are the class of the SEC in terms of fan hospitality.

And let's hope we do another home and home. I would love another visit from Tennessee when they bring a top10 ranking into Autzen. Now THAT's a home game that Duck fans would return early to Eugene to see.

It sounds like all in all, Vol fans had a pretty good experience at Autzen.

I for one, lose no girth if the noise wasn't overwhelming compared to the 90k-100k stadiums they are used to. Hopefully we can do another home-n-home in the near future.

Reactions: 3 people
I am a huge oregon fan, grew up 10 minutes from autzen, went to dozens of games but now live in texas. Autzen is half the size of neyland. the fact alone that the noise level of autzen is even comparable to a stadium the size of neyland should make duck fans proud but for duck fans to simply say that 58,000 is going to be louder than 102,000 is ridiculous. the architecture helps the sound get trapped onto the field, I have witnessed it and its a lot louder on the field than in the stands but i am pretty sure its scientifically proven that 58,000 cant be louder than 102,000.

the truth is, is that oregon doesnt have tradition and a past to be proud of, so when coaches like loyd carr say "autzen is the loudest stadium ive ever been in" we hang our hats on that and run with it like its something that really matters.

I am also not buying the fact that because tennessee wasnt a "quality" opponent, the stadium wasnt loud. As I have mentioned, I have been to many games at autzen and I personally dont ever remember screaming "less" because of who the opponent was. obviously depending on how much we were winning by determined how much I would scream through out the game but every team from the get go (unless your nicholls st) gets the same treatment.

I hope oregon decides to expand autzen in the next 5 years. theres no reason why autzen should be less than 70-75k seats. It will help attract more recruits and will allow for more tickets to be sold at a cheaper price, allowing fans who cant drop $100 a game to experience autzen.

...58,000 is going to be louder than 102,000 is ridiculous. the architecture helps the sound get trapped onto the field, I have witnessed it and its a lot louder on the field than in the stands but i am pretty sure its scientifically proven that 58,000 cant be louder than 102,000.

You're wrong. Last night in Seattle, Seahawks fans broke the all-time noise record for a sporting event. Total attendance was 68,338. Also, yes you do make less noise when you're up several touchdowns. As a student, we were loudest when we were down or after we had thrown an interception.

That being said, you're right about duck fans trying to validate themselves based on perceived stadium noise. I'm sure Vols care more about being beaten by 45 that how loud the stadium was. It's time to move on.

Luckily for players some hightech microphones strategically positioned in specific parts of the stadium to pick up loud noises doesnt mean that much. There's more to intimidating stadiums than a nominal decible rating.

Never been to Oregon. Maybe that will change some day.

I like everything about Oregon. I like their style of football, the number of unique uniforms and the fact the school is unapologetic for scoring so many points.

Oregon's style of offense is the future of college football and I honestly believe CBJ will use our recent butt whipping to an advantage.

Keep winning Oregon, continue keeping it fun to watch and keep changing the uni's. this vol fan enjoys watching. Don't lose to Kiffin.

Never been to Oregon. Maybe that will change some day.

I like everything about Oregon. I like their style of football, the number of unique uniforms and the fact the school is unapologetic for scoring so many points.

Oregon's style of offense is the future of college football and I honestly believe CBJ will use our recent butt whipping to an advantage.

Keep winning Oregon, continue keeping it fun to watch and keep changing the uni's. this vol fan enjoys watching. Don't lose to Kiffin.

Thanks! There's a reason Oregon has earned the nickname "You're favorite team's favorite team." We are a damn fun watch. We blow everyone out with fireworks, and the games we do lose, we keep close to the end.

I've always been a Vols fan. I don't know why, but I've always rooted for the Vols and Old Miss in the SEC. I attribute my Vol affinity to Peyton Manning. Keep working and beat Florida!!

Let's try this again! How can 54,000 people be louder than 102,000? Did I miss something?
:crazy:

I guess im in the minority but I hate Oregon's style of football. Its a hurry up system that relys on a lot of small speedy guys and trickery. I always preferred a more traditional, smashmouth approach to the game.

Let's try this again! How can 54,000 people be louder than 102,000? Did I miss something?
:crazy:

autzen has a seating capacity of 54,000 but also sell up to 6,000 standing room only tickets.

usually for games against stanford, USC, or Oregon st, the 60,000 mark is surpassed, but 58,000 us about average. autzen even played around with putting temporary seating/bleachers around the north side of the stadium that was tested out at the end of the 2011 season. they started out with 2 "practice" towers to see how it would hold up with the goal to put in an additional 8-10 towers or so. the idea eventually crumbled for whatever reason. you can see a picture of those towers below
http://media.kval.com/images/111115autzen660.jpg

Have to say I would not like to sit in those towers.

heres a better view of what they looked like after they were actually done http://dailyemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DSC_4959-copy.jpg

they still don't look that safe but apparently they were. with 8 of them built side by side around the north side, they were suppose to add 2000 or so to the attendance aside from standing room only (So about a max of 62,000)

oregon has a brand new basketball arena, a brand new baseball stadium and soccer complex, a brand new football training facility and office, a brand new student athlete center, I am almost certain that the next thing on oregons list of things to do is an addition to the stadium. most assume that the north side will be built identically to how the south side is which should add about 15,000-20,000 but would remove a big chunk of the standing room only section

autzen has a seating capacity of 54,000 but also sell up to 6,000 standing room only tickets.

usually for games against stanford, USC, or Oregon st, the 60,000 mark is surpassed, but 58,000 us about average. autzen even played around with putting temporary seating/bleachers around the north side of the stadium that was tested out at the end of the 2011 season. they started out with 2 "practice" towers to see how it would hold up with the goal to put in an additional 8-10 towers or so. the idea eventually crumbled for whatever reason. you can see a picture of those towers below
http://media.kval.com/images/111115autzen660.jpg

I understand what you're saying but I still don't understand why Oregon fans think Tennessee was going to be intimidated by the noise. EA Sports said it themselves. "We can go anywhere for noise, but we come to Neyland Stadium for a lot of noise." Still much respect to Oregon, your stadium, and your fans.

VN Store

Back