Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

It was supposed to be a physical and close match. But hats off to Ghana! They were physically strong, they were motivated, they were able to controll the ball. The Germans thought they would get dominance in midfield, and Ghana, in a great show of will and endurance, denied that.* The German team was maybe surprised, but it took them a while to find an answer.

That's where people usually question the coach. And rightly so. Jogi Löw, with his weird line up, cost us the semi-finals in the Euros 2012 against Italy. And yet again, common knowledge questiones the coaches decisions:

- Ghana managed to destruct the German playmaking in midfield. We were supposed to have some holding midfielders up to the challange. But Khedira didn'd have his best day, and Kroos was supposed to play way up front. Hence, a lot of possession losses in midfield. If you have one of the best holding midfielders in the world on the bench - why is he on the bench? When Schweinsteiger came in, that was the most dominant and dangerous part of the game for ze Germans.

- The Ghanans won just about every (besides 2, in the first half) headers within their box. If you have one of the best strikers, especially by headers, why do you keep him on the bench? When Klose came in, things obviously approved for the German team.

I know, much of that sounds like hindsight. But even before the semifinal-exit to Italia 2 years ago, everybody was unhappy witch Löw's line up. Just like today. He is stubborn and clinges to his starting 11. That is a bit contrary to the emphasis on variety and the need to have everybody ready, just like he repeats telling every media outlet.

So, I wish the USMNT all the best anyway. :good!: But this way - let's find the positive: Ghana will totally need a win in the last game. US and Germany still to advance... :whistling:

Last edited:
* they rarely lost the ball. Had an impressive passing rate. That shows you a classy side, where most of their midfielders play in big Clubs.

We're not sure if this is good or bad for the US, so we have to take care of business tomorrow. Nothing really changed. Win and we're through.

If we win, the result today was a good thing. If we lose, it was a bad thing. Simple as that. As clear as mud, at least for the moment.

Just win baby. Portugal is a winnable match. The Ghana Germany result was probably not a good thing for us. It put Germany on the defensive and will make them highly motivated against us now. A win was a long shot. A draw was conceivable. But now...

wOYiTmG.png

Reactions: 3 people
Hey, how about that Nazi dude storming the pitch during the Germany v. Ghana match? I also saw photos that have gone viral of German soccer fans in Brazil dressed up in black face with "Ghana" scrawled on their shirts.

I know Americans have a very dark past, but them Europeans are some racists motherfers, particularly for a society that likes to hold itself up as somehow more cultured and sophisticated than us.

Is this a "nazi dude"?

E: just to make clear: That's the guy who went on the field today. His phone number is Polish.

728107584-flitzer_neu_dpa_20140621-224628-1o4VLqd7BjOI.jpg

Last edited:
If argentina beats nigeria 1-0 and iran beats Bosnia 1-0. Fifa would have to pick straws out of a hat to choose which two will go to the next round. Would be a first if this happened.

If argentina beats nigeria 1-0 and iran beats Bosnia 1-0. Fifa would have to pick straws out of a hat to choose which two will go to the next round. Would be a first if this happened.

No...Argentina is in already. If Nigeria and Iran win in your scenario then they would have to choose btw those two teams...not which two would go.

Argentina 6 points
Nigeria 4 points
Iran 1 point
Bosnia 0 points

as of right now

No...Argentina is in already. If Nigeria and Iran win in your scenario then they would have to choose btw those two teams...not which two would go.

Argentina 6 points
Nigeria 4 points
Iran 1 point
Bosnia 0 points

as of right now

They would have to draw straws to see whether Nigeria or Iran went through, because under the scenario mentioned, both would end up with 4 points and be tied in all the other tiebreaking criteria.

Is this a "nazi dude"?

E: just to make clear: That's the guy who went on the field today. His phone number is Polish.

728107584-flitzer_neu_dpa_20140621-224628-1o4VLqd7BjOI.jpg

That's just what was said. Personally, I don't know, although I do find his lightning bolts and "black hand" interesting.

Argentina 6 points
Nigeria 4 points
Iran 1 point
Bosnia 0 points

as of right now

I meant nigeria and iran as the two teams

That's just what was said. Personally, I don't know, although I do find his lightning bolts and "black hand" interesting.

Haha I thought that was his hand too but it belongs to a Ghana player trying to get him off the pitch

VN Store

Back