Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

The refs add 5 minutes to the game when the USA is winning and when Portugal kicks a goal to tie the game is immediately over? WTF is up with that. Damn buncha cheating soccer jacklegs.

You're not familiar with how extra time works at the end of halves, are you?

A lot of that 5 minutes was because play was stopped for 3 whole minutes in the first half while the clock still ran (which it always does in soccer).

A lot of that 5 minutes was because play was stopped for 3 whole minutes in the first half while the clock still ran (which it always does in soccer).
Of course not, soccer sucks. Why was play stopped? Doesn't matter, soccer refs hate the USA.

Of course not, soccer sucks. Why was play stopped? Doesn't matter, soccer refs hate the USA.

Extra time comes at the end to make up for the fact that regardless of fouls, substitutions, injuries, etc, the rules say the clock keeps running. In return, based on what's happened during the game, a varying amount (usually 2-5 minutes, it varies depending on what's happened during the game) is added to the end of each half as compensation for the time lost.

Also I don't think UGA was so much that we didn't put them away, as it was our defense couldn't make the stops in scoring late needed to win the game.

Remember after tying them at the we let Aaron Murray run for like 60 yards?

Yeah I realize that but still you let a team hang around it's inviting disaster whether the team is mediocre, awful, good, great, etc.
Same tough lesson happened vs damn vandy.

Georgia is at best my opinion if we're talking football the sec Detroit Lions. They have these impressive games but then revert to choke artist they blow it on the worst way that leave fans screaming. Bloody Mary as they blow it or implode in major games.
Loss to auburn tigers of tipped pass may be one of the worst losses of blowing it right up there with vastly similar uk wildcats pass to upset lsu tigers, but then Alabama loses it in possibly the mile high of screw ups missed field goal caught in endZone and ran back all the way for a td.

The crimson tide experience the misery of egregiousness of a field goal that didn't get made resulting in a abysmal loss in a major game at the worst time.
Like it's said what goes around comes around.

Put it out of reach avoid the cardiac drama is what I believe sums it up best.

That was also don't score right away eat up the clock leaned the hard way.
although we didn't repeat it vs gamecocks so not a utter hollow bitter lesson.

Last edited:

Question and I'm still kinda a soccer novice so I really don't know, but they had the water break in the first half and added two minutes of extra time after the first half. So why does it also affect the second half? Shouldn't it just be based on each individual half as to how much time gets added?

Heartbreaking. Feels like a loss. The first goal was horrid. Outplayed them for the next 90 minutes.

Can't be too upset at the last goal though. It was a world-class pass by a world-class player.

Heartbreaking. Feels like a loss. The first goal was horrid. Outplayed them for the next 90 minutes.

Can't be too upset at the last goal though. It was a world-class pass by a world-class player.

It sucks that we shutdown pretty boy for 94 1/2 minutes only to have that happen at the end.

It sucks that we shutdown pretty boy for 94 1/2 minutes only to have that happen at the end.

Yeah. The fact that they kept him in check as well as they did is quite an accomplishment.

The first horrid goal and the open shot Bradley had (and proceeded to hit it straight at the defensive guy) killed us. Opportunities wasted. Should have easily been 3-1.

Devastating. 20 seconds. 20 seconds away. I'm still really mad about this result. Bradley. Our most important player has pretty much **** the bed this tournament when we needed him most. It's starting to feel like the US is about to get royally screwed.

Devastating. 20 seconds. 20 seconds away. I'm still really mad about this result. Bradley. Our most important player has pretty much **** the bed this tournament when we needed him most. It's starting to feel like the US is about to get royally screwed.

I thought it was him that lost control of the ball on the other side of midfield right before the last play? Am I wrong?

Looked liked we lost control because of lack of effort. Maybe I am wrong, it was blur at the end.

I thought it was him that lost control of the ball on the other side of midfield right before the last play? Am I wrong?

Looked liked we lost control because of lack of effort. Maybe I am wrong, it was blur at the end.

There were times where it seemed he was just walking around out there. I don't know if it was the heat or the humidity or what but he gave no effort on a play that could have likely put the team through to the next round. This is why you play to the whistle. You don't take plays off and you certainly don't do it in extra time clinging to a one goal lead. That miscue could ruin our entire tournament. Klinsy should have a talk about that behind closed doors. He's supposedly a leader of this team. Play to the ******* whistle!!! (Shakes fist) BRADLEY!!!

Last edited:
There were times where it seemed he was just walking around out there. I don't know if it was the heat or the humidity or what but he gave no effort on a play that could have likely put the team through to the next round. This is why you play to the whistle. You don't take plays off and you certainly don't do it in extra time clinging to a one goal lead. That miscue could ruin our entire tournament. Klinsy should ream him about that behind closed doors. He's supposedly a leader of this team. Play to the ******* whistle!!! (Shakes fist) BRADLEY!!!

Lol. It's not all on him. He made a mistake but the defense should have marked better.

He didn't have a bad game, just a bad turnover that shouldn't have been a goal of our defenders marked better.

Lol. It's not all on him. He made a mistake but the defense should have marked better.

He didn't have a bad game, just a bad turnover that shouldn't have been a goal of our defenders marked better.

I know I'm being irrational and it's not 100% on him. But he gave the ball up a few times. Had the shot on goal that was right at a defender - probably better play by the defender than bad choice by Bradley. He even kinda botched his shot on the second goal by Dempsey. It just miraculously landed at Zusi's feet after it was deflected. And he just generally looked sluggish out there. This is the second match in a row that he's drawn such criticism. Not a good look for him so far.

And you're right. The four guys at the back are ultimately responsible for defending the cross. To let that guy just wander in loosely marked is unacceptable. It's just so, so disappointing.

It's amazing how fast our fans turn on players.

I'm not turning on anyone dude. I'm calling a guy out for a lazy play and generally poor form for the last two games. I like Bradley. I think he's a very important player, if not the most important for our team. And I hope he has the game of his career against Germany. So take this crap to the Football Forum where it belongs.

I agree. Lost in all of this is how perfect the cross was, how well timed the run was and how good the header was. Sometimes great players just make plays.

VN Store

Back