Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

Disappointed to learn FOX will handle the next world cup. I'm sure they'll make it much more americanized than espn. Espn really did a great job having mostly foreign commentators and analysts who knew what they were talking about. They had Americans who could more than hold their own and represent us well (Tirico as a moderator and Lalas as an analyst) but for the most part you want a world experience when watching the world cup.
This has to be a joke.

Everybody I watched the game with was calling him a pouter for his demeanor after the game. Mostly unbiased fans (didn't care about teams or players).

I myself think that's a little harsh of them, but what makes him so humble, in your opinion?

Messi catches too much flak from people. The World Cup only happens once in four years, to make it that far and come up just short has to be devastating.

It was a good match but for me it was an anticlimactic ending. Young guy with fresh legs on the better rested team gets a tap in in the 113th minute. Not compelling IMO. Not trying to start a war here.

:eek:lol: at calling that goal a "tap in." That took incredible skill and timing. Love to see you or any amateur soccer player try that from a cross.

Everybody I watched the game with was calling him a pouter for his demeanor after the game. Mostly unbiased fans (didn't care about teams or players).

I myself think that's a little harsh of them, but what makes him so humble, in your opinion?

He's there to do his job, and that's it. When he does well, he isn't a major d-bag like Ronaldo and when he loses, he isn't weeping in a "feel sorry for me" kind of a way. He's currently the best player in the world and he acts like he's never even heard anything about that.
This is coming from someone who was pulling for Germany.

Reactions: 1 person
:eek:lol: at calling that goal a "tap in." That took incredible skill and timing. Love to see you or any amateur soccer player try that from a cross.

You're talking to someone who doesn't understand the skill it takes first of all, to make that cross into a perfect spot on the run, and the skill for Goetze to chest it down and in fluid motion hit that ball at a tough angle. It was made to look easier because of the incredible skill the player has.

On a side note it's nice to see a bayern Munich fan on VN. I had the same avy for a while, I think we mentioned it before. Anyway, carry on :p

Always great to see another fan. Hohen is another Bayern fan, too. It's been a good couple of years with the Champions League and World Cup. We're lucky to have a great generation of players and I'm happy that guys like Schweinsteiger and Lahm got their trophies before retiring.

He's there to do his job, and that's it. When he does well, he isn't a major d-bag like Ronaldo and when he loses, he isn't weeping in a "feel sorry for me" kind of a way. He's currently the best player in the world and he acts like he's never even heard anything about that.
This is coming from someone who was pulling for Germany.

Have all the respect in the world for Messi. Not only is he the best player, but he doesn't act a fool like Ronaldo. I don't lay the blame on him at all, sometimes he is asked to do too much. If I were to blame anyone, I would blame Higuain for missing what should have been an easy goal, and his general piss-poor performance.

And I certainly don't blame Messi for not being all smiles after losing the World Cup. I wouldn't want a guy who was non-chalant about losing.

You're talking to someone who doesn't understand the skill it takes first of all, to make that cross into a perfect spot on the run, and the skill for Goetze to chest it down and in fluid motion hit that ball at a tough angle. It was made to look easier because of the incredible skill the player has.

He had the angle off his right foot and was unchecked. It was a tap in.

Gotta love Joe Buck calling soccer. But seriously, read this and the comments Fox doesn’t need to be ready for the World Cup by 2018, they need to be ready now | Awful Announcing
Fox will draw on their Sky team who are more experienced commentators and who speak easily understood English.

I'm happy for Tirico that he got some fun in the sun but I'm not sure why he was there. Definitely not for his soccer acumen. The international guys, while all superstars whose knowledge is irrefutable, were all over the map with Gilberto being barely understandable at best to Solari who was as good as anyone. The homerism of Lalas Ballard and Nistelrooy got old very fast. The men in blazers probably saved the wrap up show.

Always great to see another fan. Hohen is another Bayern fan, too. It's been a good couple of years with the Champions League and World Cup. We're lucky to have a great generation of players and I'm happy that guys like Schweinsteiger and Lahm got their trophies before retiring.

I am a bayern fan myself

It's brutal how they make the other team stay on the pitch while the winner celebrates. Messi looked so so sad, and I don't blame him one bit. He couldn't have cared less about winning the golden ball. It probably should have gone to Muller just to spare the guy having to walk up and accept the award after he just suffered the worst defeat of his career.

Fox will draw on their Sky team who are more experienced commentators and who speak easily understood English.

I'm happy for Tirico that he got some fun in the sun but I'm not sure why he was there. Definitely not for his soccer acumen. The international guys, while all superstars whose knowledge is irrefutable, were all over the map with Gilberto being barely understandable at best to Solari who was as good as anyone. The homerism of Lalas Ballard and Nistelrooy got old very fast. The men in blazers probably saved the wrap up show.

Who's this Ballard guy you speak of?

VN Store

Back