Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

Tim Howard could have won it, but the you have to admit that the German keeper has had a great WC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Germany only allowed 3 or 4 goals in the whole tournament.

Totally agree, but that German backline was a massive part of that. While ours played pretty well, Howard bailed them out on many occasions.

I'm good with kicks. I'd be okay if they went straight to them after 90 minutes to keep things more fair. No way anyone will ever convince me that an extra day's rest and Argentina going 120 against holland didn't give Germany an edge and that advantage showed its self at about the point I'd expect.

I'm good with kicks. I'd be okay if they went straight to them after 90 minutes to keep things more fair. No way anyone will ever convince me that an extra day's rest and Argentina going 120 against holland didn't give Germany an edge and that advantage showed its self at about the point I'd expect.

Well then I guess Argentina shouldn't have let it go to 120 minutes against Holland, who had just played 120 minutes against Costa Rica. Right?

Well then I guess Argentina shouldn't have let it go to 120 minutes against Holland, who had just played 120 minutes against Costa Rica. Right?
sure. I'm no great fan of either squad that was in the finals. I'd like to see some nontraditional powers getting into the mix starting of course with the USMNT.

90 minutes then kicks and all matches in knockout rounds get simultaneous kickoffs just like the final games in group play. That's the only fair way to structure it. But then they couldn't maximize their television deals.

and I'll add that changing the format is really only necessary if you're actually trying to crown a side as the best in the world. If you just look at the WC as a high profile jamboree to celebrate the sport and get people around the world to join in the excitement for a few weeks while realizing that the format is not perfect and the results are not necessarily indicative of which side is the best then there's no need to change anything.

Last edited:
Really? He wasn't marked. Probably because of tired legs in that late minute. I would've preferred PKs.

So YOU'RE the one!

I'm surprised some of you thought it wasn't a great match. I thought it was much better than some WC Finals we've seen recently. I would have liked a Germany goal early just so we could see Argentina press even more, but I loved it.

Can you think of a more humble superstar in professional athletics than Leo Messi?

Last edited:
It was a good match but for me it was an anticlimactic ending. Young guy with fresh legs on the better rested team gets a tap in in the 113th minute. Not compelling IMO. Not trying to start a war here.

It was a good match but for me it was an anticlimactic ending. Young guy with fresh legs on the better rested team gets a tap in in the 113th minute. Not compelling IMO. Not trying to start a war here.

No one should really care what you think of the ending since you clearly have no clue about what you were watching in the first place.

Reactions: 2 people
Totally agree, but that German backline was a massive part of that. While ours played pretty well, Howard bailed them out on many occasions.

I'd argue that their backline was a weakness in the WC, especially when Lahm was playing Center Midfielder instead of right back for most of the tourney.

Germany had the deeper bench by far. Happens in every sport. The fit and better teams pull games out in the end.

Disappointed to learn FOX will handle the next world cup. I'm sure they'll make it much more americanized than espn. Espn really did a great job having mostly foreign commentators and analysts who knew what they were talking about. They had Americans who could more than hold their own and represent us well (Tirico as a moderator and Lalas as an analyst) but for the most part you want a world experience when watching the world cup.

So YOU'RE the one!

I'm surprised some of you thought it wasn't a great match. I thought it was much better than some WC Finals we've seen recently. I would have liked a Germany goal early just so we could see Argentina press even more, but I loved it.

Can you think of a more humble superstar in professional athletics than Leo Messi?

Everybody I watched the game with was calling him a pouter for his demeanor after the game. Mostly unbiased fans (didn't care about teams or players).

I myself think that's a little harsh of them, but what makes him so humble, in your opinion?

Tap in? That was a world class goal. Great first touch and turn on the ball. You gotta be trolling.

VN Store

Back