Official Depth Chart vs Austin Peay

I don't see USC being a strong contender for the east, primarily from the holes in their D. It's by far their most glaring weakness.

It wouldn't surprise me to see UNC put up a very close game with them by just exploiting their LB issues.

Agreed but my intent was to shake some of these guys out of their sleep. USCe IMO is a 8 win or so team. I think UT is about the same if Jones can coach... more like 7. But those rosters look comparable to me as far as talent and depth of talent. USCe plays an easier schedule overall.

It comes down to coaching.

Agreed but my intent was to shake some of these guys out of their sleep. USCe IMO is a 8 win or so team. I think UT is about the same if Jones can coach... more like 7. But those rosters look comparable to me as far as talent and depth of talent. USCe plays an easier schedule overall.

It comes down to coaching.

Some believe that their front 4 may be the best in the Sec

Amazing. When Dooley lost his first game to a team with less talent... the condemnations thundered.... now we have guys pre-excusing Jones for losing to two teams with less talent.

You must be the melodramatic type. God forbid we have different opinions.

Reactions: 2 people
Some believe that their front 4 may be the best in the Sec

Yeah, that's true. Their secondary is where there are big question marks.

Also, I don't think they've settled on a #1 at QB. Looks like they are going into the season with a 2 QB system.

They only have four seniors on their entire scholarship squad.

It had to. Talk about a wake up call on where you team stands.

What I want to see this year is improvement in:

Coaching - game management, adjustments, penalties, etc.
Effort - don't quit, show progress
Toughness - what kind of pride do we have
Competitiveness - I want to see a team that competes with everyone it plays - no moral victories, but a baseline to grow from.

It's going to be a long season, but it could have a few bright spots.

What SpringBokVol said! :good!:

You must be the melodramatic type. God forbid we have different opinions.[/QUOTE

I agree with stj18. If CBJ only wins 5 games this year we have hired the wrong guy. He has to at least win 1 more than CDD and one the worst defensive coaches ever. I've said it before if Gruden was our coach everyone would expect 8 or 9 wins this year. Lets not hold Jones to a lower standard. 6 wins should be required, 7 wins expected and 8 wins or more should be exceeding expectations.

Reactions: 1 person
For those interested, take a look at USCe's depth chart. Five of the 10 OL's listed in their two deep are Fr. They are starting a Fr at center. In all, 12 Fr and RSFr are listed in their two deep. Fourteen are Sophs... and in at least a few places you have Fr backing up Sophs or vice versa.

A lot of you guys look at UT's roster in a vacuum and jaded by the past few years. UT has some distinct roster advantages over USCe... some disadvantages too... but some advantages. Yet everyone is calling USCe a favorite to win the East... and then saying UT will struggle to win 6. If that's the case then the only missing factor is coaching.

Or Clowney

If Jones cannot beat the teams that have less talent than him (Vandy, Mizzou) then he's not the right guy.

Again, why do you ignore the obvious? If he wins 6 or less then you are very likely looking at Dooley Part Deux. Dooley with a MUCH worse roster and against a schedule at least as difficult coming out of the turmoil of Kiffin and Fulmer... won six. He's not a good head coach. So if a poor HC can win six with no better than similar circumstances then I full well expect a GOOD coach to win more than that.
Holy shtttt this already!! Stfu with comparisons to Dools. Let the man coach a few games first.

Maybe they are keeping the better players healthier for the upcoming tougher games. Maybe we will see them some in this game too... who knows... I will give my opinion of this team only once i see the product on the field.

AP team photo

ncaafb_youth_team.jpg

Holy shtttt this already!! Stfu with comparisons to Dools. Let the man coach a few games first.

Um, no.

The comparisons are built in. I think Jones is a better coach. You did catch that, right? Being a better coach and inheriting a better situation... should mean a better result, right? Dooley won 6. That makes 7 the floor if Jones is indeed a better coach.

There's not a lot of difficult logic there.... just application of consistent expectations from the HC and history. Not really hard at all....

FWIW, Peterman's attitude since learning he was number 2 has shifted my opinion slightly. I think he is pretty well ahead of the Fr though there's little chance anyone will say that publicly. I am not sure the gap between him and Worley is significant.

If Worley does not lead or has management issues then Peterman will get a shot to take and hold the job. I'd increase his chances to about 40% for starting at some point this seasons. I think the chances of either Fr losing their RS are near zero barring injury.

I was hoping that Pair would step up and take that spot behind Tiny. Was hearing good things about him in the spring but has failed to do so as of now I guess.
Him or Posey. I'm like, WTF?....as I looked at that chart. We NEEDED Eric Gordon to stay.....badly. Same thing with Bonner and Gray. I'm cool with Coleman and Sutton starting, but having a walk-on in the 2 deep is scary, scary. Then, one would expect Orta to back up Randolph before Max Arnold

We also needed Daunte Phillips. What in the world are the coaches thinking, making Hood (at 277lbs) the starter, next to McCullers? Why not put Couch there, instead...and have Hood or Saulsberry as the backup? I'd rather have Carson, O'Brien, Clark....anyone other than Hood.

Hood has had 4yrs to bulk up in the S&C system here, and he looks like he skips the weightlifting part.

After looking at the roster, again...I'm not quite as scared as I was, when I first looked at the depth chart, because we have Tino Thomas, Lemond Johnson, and of course Riyad Jones, if he can get healthy. But I'm pretty concerned that we have walk-ons listed before these guys. I really expected Posey and Pair to have the backup OT spots. Not good news seeing what they have behind the starters.

Also, I think Jackson is a better OL than Bullard. Bullard has bounced around for a reason. But I guess the coaches see something in all these guys that we don't.

James is Tiny's back up and I suspect that Pair would enter as a OG before any walk-on.

Not sure exactly why those scholarship players with athleticism are listed behind walk-ons. Maybe the walk-ons are better.... maybe Jones is sending a message.

Here is Oregon's depth chart for comparison:

Duck Depth Chart

The Ducks build their roster different from most programs. Several visiting Duck fans have said the same. They look for certain things that make a guy suitable for their system even if their overall talent isn't what most programs look for. It is pretty ingenious and allows a program in a state virtually devoid of high end HSFB "talent" to be a national contender.

This kind of depth chart will be pretty typical of any good Ducks team. But there are risks. If they guess wrong on someone or they do not develop as planned then they end up with a big hole in their depth chart.

VN Store

Back