Official Depth Chart vs Austin Peay

Remember, this is the 2-deep for this game. The 2-deep should be expected to be ready to play, so they are not gonna put injured guys listed in this 2-deep unless they think they could go. It is good to see Maggitt listed on there, but also Harris, Bynum and Meredith have had injury issues, and while we want to see them out there, if they aint ready then they aint ready. Even Couch seems to be able to play now, but he lost practice time coming back from injury, so he is at #2 for now, not 1.

Exactly! While it still may not be great by any means, it will be better when injured guys are put back in proper depth position. Plus there is always a couple of players that are just better than the star(s) by their name coming out of high school.

Reactions: 1 person
Damn, Darr can't even see the field as a holder? #1 punter coming out. Geez.

Also, pretty sure I've never seen that one Redshirt Sr. corner on any depth chart before. Interesting.

Let the fun begin.

I for one am torn. The optimist side of me likes the vibe and the perceived direction of the program. However, the pessimist in me keeps reminding me that we just hired the one coach DD spanked. Optimist wins 7-5 with a bowl win!

Everyone who is freaking out over corner depth should be excited. I see a lot of youth and potential with a real coaching staff. We will probably have bumps this year but we are laying the foundation for an excellent secondary. I am more concerned with the health of Smith and Maggitt. I was expecting those guys to create pressure for us this year. Without them I don't really see any pressure from anyone but Big Dan. If that is the case then I really don't think our secondary will be the problem. Pretty clear that our D will have to play on the other side of the line of scrimmage to be successful this year. If we don't demonstrate that ability against AP then it will be a long season.

I not trying to "have you believe" anything. Just stating my opinion. I only see 5 wins with #s 6 7 & 8 being toss-up games. You have to score points to win in football. That's going to be a challenge.

More challenging than the situation Dooley inherited? I full well expect the COACH to be better than Dooley. I hope that's Jones. Five or even 6 wins would be a very strong indicator that he is not.

This roster is awful. I'm not sure it's better than it was in 2010 at all.

Then you need to take another look at that roster.

There wasn't a single true DT on the roster. Not a Tugboat. Not a hybrid like Miller. They moved their best DE inside.

DE was so thin and bad that they squeezed every down out of Martin with a messed up knee as they could. Walk-on starting at MLB. Fr starting at both OLB's. True Fr and Simms the ONLY options at QB and neither had ever taken a snap for UT.

That roster was worse... and it ain't close.

Reactions: 3 people
Then you need to take another look at that roster.

There wasn't a single true DT on the roster. Not a Tugboat. Not a hybrid like Miller. They moved their best DE inside.

DE was so thin and bad that they squeezed every down out of Martin with a messed up knee as they could. Walk-on starting at MLB. Fr starting at both OLB's. True Fr and Simms the ONLY options at QB and neither had ever taken a snap for UT.

That roster was worse... and it ain't close.

Gooch at center

No. It really won't.

Saban won six games his first season at the school in the godforsaken state to the south of us. I promise, it really will be ok if we don't win more than six ourselves. We don't have quality depth right now. It's going to take a few years to build.

I for one am torn. The optimist side of me likes the vibe and the perceived direction of the program. However, the pessimist in me keeps reminding me that we just hired the one coach DD spanked. Optimist wins 7-5 with a bowl win!

Butch Jones will get us there. Maybe not this season, but he will. He's got a lot more talent to work with now.

Greg King, who has been around since Kiffin and Propst as backups...wow...we may be in for a long year. Where are Bynum, Harris and J. King? What about Maybin at OLB? He was supposed to be a stud Frosh.

I remember when everyone was upset when Harris got injured and now he isn't even close to the top- same with Bynum. Interesting take on talent when a new staff comes in. I asked before about Maybin- thought he was supposed to make an instant impact even though he has been hurt? There are a lot of folks like Maybin/Orta that I thought would shift around and maybe help out at CB.

For those interested, take a look at USCe's depth chart. Five of the 10 OL's listed in their two deep are Fr. They are starting a Fr at center. In all, 12 Fr and RSFr are listed in their two deep. Fourteen are Sophs... and in at least a few places you have Fr backing up Sophs or vice versa.

A lot of you guys look at UT's roster in a vacuum and jaded by the past few years. UT has some distinct roster advantages over USCe... some disadvantages too... but some advantages. Yet everyone is calling USCe a favorite to win the East... and then saying UT will struggle to win 6. If that's the case then the only missing factor is coaching.

Saban won six games his first season at the school in the godforsaken state to the south of us. I promise, it really will be ok if we don't win more than six ourselves. We don't have quality depth right now. It's going to take a few years to build.

Saban's first year was more like Kiffin's than Jones'. Jones' has not had to deal with a mass of discipline issues. By his own confession, he's never had a team buy in more quickly.

The Bama problems were rooted so deep that they lost to ULM. Those weren't talent problems which is what you all are arguing with UT's current team but attitude and culture problems.

The direct comparison is Dooley. In spite of some attitude issues due to Fulmer's firing and Kiffin's departure... in spite of a roster with maybe a handful of players who would seriously contend for the two deep on this team.... in spite of playing a very difficult schedule... and in spite of flat out not being a very good coach... Dooley won six. Now you guys would suggest that should be the standard for Jones while out of the other side of your mouth declaring his greatness.

Make up your mind. Embrace mediocrity or demand that the HC use the talent he has and win some games.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Gooch at center

Yeah... I am sure some here think he would make the two deep now.

None of the starters that year would compete for a starting job this year and only the OL's who were Fr then and Srs now would have competed to play in the two deep this year.

Dooley couldn't coach but any sane person can look at that roster and see that he was left virtually nothing on either side of the line of scrimmage. I believe Jones CAN coach and he was left a TON of talent on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Saban's first year was more like Kiffin's than Jones'. Jones' has not had to deal with a mass of discipline issues. By his own confession, he's never had a team buy in more quickly.

The Bama problems were rooted so deep that they lost to ULM. Those weren't talent problems which is what you all are arguing with UT's current team but attitude and culture problems.

The direct comparison is Dooley. In spite of some attitude issues due to Fulmer's firing and Kiffin's departure... in spite of a roster with maybe a handful of players who would seriously contend for the two deep on this team.... in spite of playing a very difficult schedule... and in spite of flat out not being a very good coach... Dooley won six. Now you guys would suggest that should be the standard for Jones while out of the other side of your mouth declaring his greatness.

Make up your mind. Embrace mediocrity or demand that the HC use the talent he has and win some games.

This roster playing this schedule looks like 5-6 wins to me. Our season is vandy, mizz, and auburn. 5-8 wins, with Jones hitting it out of the park if he can win those three.

This roster playing this schedule looks like 5-6 wins to me. Our season is vandy, mizz, and auburn. 5-8 wins, with Jones hitting it out of the park if he can win those three.

If Jones cannot beat the teams that have less talent than him (Vandy, Mizzou) then he's not the right guy.

Again, why do you ignore the obvious? If he wins 6 or less then you are very likely looking at Dooley Part Deux. Dooley with a MUCH worse roster and against a schedule at least as difficult coming out of the turmoil of Kiffin and Fulmer... won six. He's not a good head coach. So if a poor HC can win six with no better than similar circumstances then I full well expect a GOOD coach to win more than that.

Reactions: 2 people
For those interested, take a look at USCe's depth chart. Five of the 10 OL's listed in their two deep are Fr. They are starting a Fr at center. In all, 12 Fr and RSFr are listed in their two deep. Fourteen are Sophs... and in at least a few places you have Fr backing up Sophs or vice versa.

A lot of you guys look at UT's roster in a vacuum and jaded by the past few years. UT has some distinct roster advantages over USCe... some disadvantages too... but some advantages. Yet everyone is calling USCe a favorite to win the East... and then saying UT will struggle to win 6. If that's the case then the only missing factor is coaching.

I don't see USC being a strong contender for the east, primarily from the holes in their D. It's by far their most glaring weakness.

It wouldn't surprise me to see UNC put up a very close game with them by just exploiting their LB issues.

Amazing. When Dooley lost his first game to a team with less talent... the condemnations thundered.... now we have guys pre-excusing Jones for losing to two teams with less talent.

Amazing. When Dooley lost his first game to a team with less talent... the condemnations thundered.... now we have guys pre-excusing Jones for losing to two teams with less talent.

Barring any crippling injuries at key positions, 7-8 wins pre bowl season should be the expectation.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back