Official Depth Chart vs Austin Peay

I expected to see Jacob Carter in the two deep. He got a lot of play on last year's roster behind three receivers that were starting locks. Hard to imagine that Dallas and Young will be more productive than he would've been.

Of everything this is what surprises me most. He was solid and showed great hands in his limited play last year. Maybe he just didn't get off to a great start with this coaching staff like he did with the last. Remember when he was the spring practice hero?

Last edited:
Of everything this is what surprises me most. He was solid and showed great hands in his limited play last year. Maybe he just didn't get off the a great start with this coaching staff like he did with the last. Remember when he was the spring practice hero?

Yep, totally agree. He seems like a natural receiver, which is also how I've heard Josh Smith described. I think he'll still get a lot of play this year. Seemed too consistent last year not to.

New QB
New WR's and TE
New staff and scheme
Very thin in the secondary and at LB

We just won the EAST.

If UT does... Manning is going to lose his street sign and Neyland may not have his name on the stadium anymore.

TE isn't new. He played alot last year in the 1st team rotation. Ayres isn't new either.

The WR's aren't all new though none have a lot of experience.

There are several other teams considered contenders right now that are no less thin than UT in some positions. Against Bama, they probably won't be able to scheme around it. Against USCe... UGA.... Aub... perhaps even UF or Oregon? Possibly.

5-6, with 6 overachieving.

Six is an underachievement. Five is a massive underachievement.

The simplest, most direct way to illustrate this is to compare with Dooley's first year. Most of us now agree that Dooley failed magnificently, right? In his first year, he took a worse roster against a schedule at least as difficult and probably more so. He won 6 games. He was within an illegal participation penalty and obvious hold on Reviez from beating top 10 LSU. He was a fluke away from beating UNC in the bowl game.

So what you would have us to believe is that Jones performing inferior to what Dooley did his first year would be an overachievement. Sorry. Not buying that.

The simplest, most direct way to illustrate this is to compare with Dooley's first year. Most of us now agree that Dooley failed magnificently, right? In his first year, he took a worse roster against a schedule at least as difficult and probably more so. He won 6 games. He was within an illegal participation penalty and obvious hold on Reviez from beating top 10 LSU. He was a fluke away from beating UNC in the bowl game.

So what you would have us to believe is that Jones performing inferior to what Dooley did his first year would be an overachievement. Sorry. Not buying that.
We didn't have Worley playing that year either.

What has happened to our DE position? That is a key position in a 4-3 defense. Please give me some info on Miller and Williams. Thanks

If UT does... Manning is going to lose his street sign and Neyland may not have his name on the stadium anymore.

TE isn't new. He played alot last year in the 1st team rotation. Ayres isn't new either.

The WR's aren't all new though none have a lot of experience.

There are several other teams considered contenders right now that are no less thin than UT in some positions. Against Bama, they probably won't be able to scheme around it. Against USCe... UGA.... Aub... perhaps even UF or Oregon? Possibly.

I was saying this as a joke...

We should all have reasonable expectations... The top six from the east and west do not have walk on's scattered thoughtout their top 44., plus all of the new starters at the skill positions.

I not trying to "have you believe" anything. Just stating my opinion. I only see 5 wins with #s 6 7 & 8 being toss-up games. You have to score points to win in football. That's going to be a challenge.

I not trying to "have you believe" anything. Just stating my opinion. I only see 5 wins with #s 6 7 & 8 being toss-up games. You have to score points to win in football. That's going to be a challenge.

While your point is true, I don't think we'll ever actually know what kind of Offense we have until the Oregon but possibly even Florida game.

This, of course, includes Worley "clicking" like Crompton did after about 3-4 games or another QB stepping up.

The first games will be rough, regardless, but I think it's pretty presumptive to say we won't be able to score points.

I'm honestly more worried about other teams scoring points on us. Our O-line is beastly and our backs have enough experience to at least know whats expected of them.

Our defense was horrific last year and as a squad none of these guys have the experience of standing up to quality competition. I believe they have the talent, but until they prove it on the field I can't have faith in our defense to compete the way we need them to. I want to have faith that they will turn around, but I've only been seriously following UT since 2007 and I've learned not to get my hopes up until I see it on the field.

I'm honestly more worried about other teams scoring points on us. Our O-line is beastly and our backs have enough experience to at least know whats expected of them.

Our defense was horrific last year and as a squad none of these guys have the experience of standing up to quality competition. I believe they have the talent, but until they prove it on the field I can't have faith in our defense to compete the way we need them to. I want to have faith that they will turn around, but I've only been seriously following UT since 2007 and I've learned not to get my hopes up until I see it on the field.

Just in my mind, this Defense has more talent on it than the 2011 Defense did that went #28 in yardage and #36 in scoring.

2/3 and a further 3/5 of our top tacklers (Johnson, Maggitt, Randolph) from that 2011 team are back. They were FR then, JRs now. Should be vastly improved.

2/3 and a further 3/5 top Tackle-for-loss leaders (Smith, Maggitt, Couch) are back and have more experience/development under their belt.

The difference will be Wilcox vs. Jancek, at least IMO.

Reactions: 2 people

This roster is awful. I'm not sure it's better than it was in 2010 at all.

Remember, this is the 2-deep for this game. The 2-deep should be expected to be ready to play, so they are not gonna put injured guys listed in this 2-deep unless they think they could go. It is good to see Maggitt listed on there, but also Harris, Bynum and Meredith have had injury issues, and while we want to see them out there, if they aint ready then they aint ready. Even Couch seems to be able to play now, but he lost practice time coming back from injury, so he is at #2 for now, not 1.

This roster is awful. I'm not sure it's better than it was in 2010 at all.

Clearly AP is a game where we can gamble on playing freshmen to see what they might do, and where we can afford to keep some talented guys on the bench. Chillax, man.

VN Store

Back