Official Fourth of July Thread

Yep, my grandfather used to raise a couple of hogs every year, and he gave the meat to his adult children at Christmas time. One of the best memories of my childhood in the 50s and 60s.
My father had been raised on that meat, and really didn't care for store bought pork.
For people whose goal is sustainable ag on a small farm, and getting waste to the absolute minimum, the pig is the final stop in keeping nutrients and energy at home.

You grow it (crops), you eat it + feed it to the chickens or sheep or turkeys or whatever, <insert dogs and cats here>, you compost plant-based leftovers and eggshells and shredded paper to feed the soil, and whatever’s left that has absolutely zero other takers (meat scraps, bones, used cooking oils, really awful anything else), it goes to the hog. Who then gives back at slaughter time. A perfect circle. 🐖

For people whose goal is sustainable ag on a small farm, and getting waste to the absolute minimum, the pig is the final stop in keeping nutrients and energy at home.

You grow it (crops), you eat it + feed it to the chickens or sheep or turkeys or whatever, <insert dogs and cats here>, you compost plant-based leftovers and eggshells and shredded paper to feed the soil, and whatever’s left that has absolutely zero other takers (meat scraps, bones, used cooking oils, really awful anything else), it goes to the hog. Who then gives back at slaughter time. Aslop perfect circle. 🐖
slop

Reactions: VolNExile
For @Souce

OIP.tcLQmddgVHBR9j-i6NwygwHaEK

VN Store

Back