Official Jon Gruden Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Brett McMurphy...

Jon Gruden in August: “If I became a college coach I would probably have you on probation w/in 4 or 5 weeks. Too many rules, man. I mean I like to work. The recruiting … all that stuff. Yeah, I’d probably have you in real deep, deep trouble if I was your college coach”

NYgeFBY.gif

:eek:lol:

Reactions: 4 people
The more smoke and stuff that continues to come out around Gruden, none less than the actual silence from Currie and the Gruden camp on the subject itself, the one thing I can't really make sense of is the MNF trucks in Knoxville last week. That is still just so strange to me.

The MNF trucks in Knoxville are very likely NOT a storyline worth pursuing. I have been in trucking my entire life. It is not uncommon for drivers of exhibitions/tours etc to be a wee bit out of route and in a hotel.

That said, I'm all in on the Grude.

SOON!!!!

Time to put this to rest. Gruden is not coaching again, especially not in college. He has been out of coaching a long long time now. He is 53, has a super gig on MNF and with all his endorsements from that job, paid more than most coaches. Doesn't have to jet around the country trying to convince high school kids to sign up 24/7 in their living rooms or deal with alumni/boosters etc.. He has landed in the perfect no pressure no lose situation and his lifestyle is stress free. He isn't coaching college ball folks. Move on.

So annoying when people come in here with their "facts" yet it is obvious they have not even researched what they say. Not to mention a message board will not get 32 threads on ONE candidate if there was no way it would happen.

Reactions: 1 person

Mullen has done decent in Starkville, not easy to do considering he’s done it in a completely stacked West.

I’m not saying he would be my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice but I wouldn’t be butthurt if that’s who we end up with.

If he is who we end up with that means Gruden, Patterson and Frost all said no

The MNF trucks in Knoxville are very likely NOT a storyline worth pursuing. I have been in trucking my entire life. It is not uncommon for drivers of exhibitions/tours etc to be a wee bit out of route and in a hotel.

That said, I'm all in on the Grude.

SOON!!!!

Agreed, not a truck driver. I think they came through Nashville and stayed on the west side rather than trying to navigate rush hour. Not to mention Gruden wouldn’t be on a production/moving truck.

Not team driven, I can vouch on this. Production truck drivers bounce from city to city and scheduled to only work gigs they can get to under their allowed driving restrictions. MNF production trucks have 3-4 days to go cross country if need be before set up begins for the next show.

I have previously litigated this topic. Don't see a need to here, but I'll indulge you. The shortest route to Knoxville from GB is just over 11 hours (and going the way you believe only increases it), that alone puts them in violation of DOT, if in fact they're not team-driven. Why stop at a hotel, and in that location, when you have sleeper cabs?

So, here we are, back where we started.... option 1) or option 2)

Edit: I'm done with this... so, believe what you want and move on.

Last edited:
Gruden should come to Knoxville, stand in a big room, and invite all male UT fans to come see him. He would then give each fan a quick man-hug and say the words, "Please stop: I like UT but I'm not going to be the coach here. Ever....Next."

respectfully, i think even including some things by my ex, that this is about the most ridiculous thing i have ever read or heard.

I think Mullen stays where he is. He's royalty there and is lobbying for a raise.

I think Gruden is the single biggest risk hire UT could make. You think you know, but you really don't. You are placing a lot of faith and $$$ on hope. If it works out, money well spent. If it doesn't, seriously bad move which damages the UT brand for a decade or more .

Which brings me to Frost. I think he brings much less risk than most of the other candidates with a huge future ahead. I think the guy can flat out coach and has a very strong all around mind and feel for the game. Biggest question would be can he recruit?

Chip Kelly....Would be splashy, would be entertaining to watch and would certainly win games. Would he stay? Would he recruit? Would he rub too many folks the wrong way? Nobody knows.

I would have Gruden, Kelly, and Frost at the top of my list and would be happy with any of them. No thank you Dan, I just don't think so.

Reactions: 2 people
Mullen has done decent in Starkville, not easy to do considering he’s done it in a completely stacked West.

I’m not saying he would be my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice but I wouldn’t be butthurt if that’s who we end up with.

If he is who we end up with that means Gruden, Patterson and Frost all said no
If we hire Mullen we aren't trying.

Reactions: 14 people
From Brett McMurphy...

Jon Gruden in August: “If I became a college coach I would probably have you on probation w/in 4 or 5 weeks. Too many rules, man. I mean I like to work. The recruiting … all that stuff. Yeah, I’d probably have you in real deep, deep trouble if I was your college coach”

Hey look guys! An article we’ve not seen since Gruden 22! You’re fun and all but you need to get out. The only way you’re allowed in this thread is by reading Gruden 1-30 asap. It’ll save you some GT*O’s.

Reactions: 3 people
Rank the Gruden hire compared to...

Saban to Bama
Meyer to OSU
Harbaugh to Michigan

These are the 3 biggest "splash" type hires that I can remember recently.

Saban to Bama when it happened was loud, but not deafening. But the results have been off the scale, of course.

Harbaugh was blared out in quadrophonic stereo at max volume. But the results have been underwhelming.

Gruden to the Vols will have noise like Harbaugh, results like Saban. Best of both worlds.

Go Vols! :good!:

Reactions: 11 people
Rank the Gruden hire compared to...

Saban to Bama
Meyer to OSU
Harbaugh to Michigan

These are the 3 biggest "splash" type hires that I can remember recently.

Gruden to UT would be on par with Harbaugh to Michigan at the top of the list...

Remember, a lot of questions around Meyer's wishy-washiness when he left Florida going into his OSU hire & some questions around Saban's commitment given his quick exit of Dolphins. Both were big splashes, but not without some initial anxiousness for both fan bases.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back