Official Jon Gruden Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be a constitutional ammendment from having "Dennis dodd" and "knowledgeable" in the same sentence...

Reactions: 4 people
I’ve said this before but the danger of this place, like a huge megaphone, is that we often create the story. Something is said here, repeated elsewhere, repeated another place, and then comes back here as “verified by multiple sources.”

Why yes. That IS how it works.

I did consider that, almost typed it out...maybe we are putting him so high on the pedestal that he can't help but disappoint us. I think that is only true for a minority of fans though.

I don't expect to be playing for the SEC Championship in year 1. I also don't think the cupboard is nearly so stocked by Butch as some imagine it. We have talent, but we have serious issues also.

From my perspective, Gruden is to bring hope to UT, and on that, he can deliver day one. The potential will be there, excitement, staffing, recruiting, all will be geared and primed to excel.

I do think it takes a couples of seasons to turn this into a juggernaut of a program and I won't be faulting Gruden for 8 win seasons. Those might happen, but they will never be "acceptable" to him, and they will never be his ceiling.

Gruden brings hope. That is what we desperately need. No one should expect to beat bama out of the gate.

Again, I agree with you. Dang it man,......bringing logic and common sense into this thread can get us both banned.

Reactions: 1 person
Just playing devil's advocate here...

What would it take for you to want to fire Gruden once he's here? If he doesn't make an immediate impact, will we give him more time than we gave Butch/Dooley? What if we get to year 5 of Gruden and still haven't won the East?

I know this is unlikely, but you have to at least acknowledge the possibility since no coach is "perfect".
Butch got 5 years so I would give Gruden at least 10 seeing as he's the big fish we want. I believe the staff he would have surrounding him wouldn't allow him to fail at all.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope Freak is beefing up the servers

LPTdFEj.gif

Reactions: 6 people
Why do you think it's currie talking to the recruits?

It's already been reported through fairly reliable sources that Currie has been on the phone with some of our top-level recruits. The story was that Currie said, "If you don't know who the coach is by the early signing period, then I (Currie) will have to find another job."

I’ve said this before but the danger of this place, like a huge megaphone, is that we often create the story. Something is said here, repeated elsewhere, repeated another place, and then comes back here as “verified by multiple sources.”

I agree. I have said all along that my info is second hand. Just passing it along. I am sure that my screenshot has made it on to multiple platforms and it is just me talking to a guy that is friends with the son of a top booster.

Somebody on here said Gruden reached out to a former coordinator. Never thought it would be Jancek.

Wonder if he’d come back just to stick it to Jones.

Would be funny as hell. Jancek wasn’t bad but, I still can’t get over the QB spy he did against Florida, but then again Shoop blew it too against Florida in the same fashion. If Gruden thinks they’re good then I’ll believe.

Don't think Jon Gruden falls under the NCAA's definition of what a booster is. Also, I don't think they would make that contact like that if it were against NCAA rules. I say this without putting any stock into Mays being contacted.

"Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes."

Role of Boosters | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

I find it very interesting that many people and “sources” are saying and agreeing that:

A) Gruden has been offered
B) Gruden has been talking to potential assistants for his staff

I think A is obvious because you at least give it a try, but if B is also true.. if Gruden is interviewing potential assistants then you have to consider he has agreeed to take the job (whether or not anything has officially been signed) or at the very least that he is seriously considering it

Reactions: 2 people
[twitter]https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/930094687121272832[/twitter]

I will admit that part of the reason I want us to ultimately land Gruden is because of the utter shock and amazement it will cause among the media. There would be more egg on their faces than if a fox were turned loose in Tyson's henhouse.

Reactions: 5 people
Would be funny as hell. Jancek wasn’t bad but, I still can’t get over the QB spy he did against Florida, but then again Shoop blew it too against Florida in the same fashion. If Gruden thinks they’re good then I’ll believe.

If you have a strong HC then that leadership breeds more confidence in the other coaches and motivates them to be their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back