Official WBB NCAA tournament thread 2024

If she can bring Juju with her, then COME ON DOWN.

On a serious note though, I honestly don’t think she’s a really good Xs and Os coach. Juju’s just THAT good, imo. She’s better than Kellie though.
She has an eye for talent and elevates mid players to an elite 8 with 1 star

I truly did not anticipate UConn getting this far. The season was in shambles early on and I thought “oh well at least we can probably run through the Big East and hopefully at least make another S16”. I really thought this season was going to be a wash. Everything was looking bad.

But somehow these ladies got here. I don’t even know. With every foul that kept stacking up … Maybe God pulled some strings (😂). Maybe it was the diet of rice cakes and cough drops (😂).

Crazy things happen in March.

Watkins can ball out and she is going to lead USC to some good things. I understand the tears but I hope her coaches and teammates can lift her up. Better times are ahead for her.

I expected this game to be everything that it turned out to be and I had no idea what the outcome would be. I love competitive games like this. Another final four for a UConn team that I expected to struggle to make the sweet 16 this year because of all the injuries.

Reactions: maple and Tnphil
I expected this game to be everything that it turned out to be and I had no idea what the outcome would be. I love competitive games like this. Another final four for a UConn team that I expected to struggle to make the sweet 16 this year because of all the injuries.
Agree...Like em or hate em...Got to give them credit. That's what happens when you expect to be there and not just hope you can get there. Hopefully we will get back in that mix.

I truly did not anticipate UConn getting this far. The season was in shambles early on and I thought “oh well at least we can probably run through the Big East and hopefully at least make another S16”. I really thought this season was going to be a wash. Everything was looking bad.

But somehow these ladies got here. I don’t even know. With every foul that kept stacking up … Maybe God pulled some strings (😂). Maybe it was the diet of rice cakes and cough drops (😂).

Crazy things happen in March.

Watkins can ball out and she is going to lead USC to some good things. I understand the tears but I hope her coaches and teammates can lift her up. Better times are ahead for her.
that was an impressive win. they were up against a deeper, bigger, and more athletic team and found a way to win, even facing significant foul trouble.
Again, not a Geno fan but he has done an amazing job this season. The man is a basketball genius.

On the other game, it was little bit of the same. Iowa had to be shooting lights out and Clarke needed a big game to overcome the paint point and athleticism advantages of LSU. I really can't figure out why LSU played such soft defense for 3 quarters. If Kellie had put van Lith on Clark versus Johnson, this board would be calling for blood. Kim said, well you can't step Caitlon so don't let their other players beat you but you let Clark and her running mages all go off. Also, Kim did not bring enough sartorial flash. How the heck is here team going to win when she is not rockin leather pants and feather boa?

I think Iowa will finally end the Uconn run but it won't be easy.

Last edited:
Gotta like Paige she has overcame so many injuries in her career. Still yet I want Caitlin to light Connecticut up for 40 in National Semifinals.

Reactions: madtownvol
Gotta like Paige she has overcame so many injuries in her career. Still yet I want Caitlin to light Connecticut up for 40 in National Semifinals.

I have no animosity toward Bueckers or any of the current or recent CONN players (although I do sometimes wish a fly would zoom into her mouth when she makes that weird facial expression after big plays).

On the other hand, I always hope that her smarmy, profane, egotistical, back-biting coach loses every contest he ever participated in, even if it's just a game of tiddlywinks.

Yeah she’s always saying something weird like that. For someone with a pretty big profile she has obviously not had any quality media training. She is terrible on camera, mumbles, looks down and acts 12.

Lots of these other women seem to either have had some training or take themselves seriously enough to stand up straight and give a real interview.
Sooo, you like polished performances more than authenticity. Got it.

Carry on.

I think just since she broke her nose. I think it was last year? Can' remember if she started the season wearing it or just started again after getting hit in the nose towards the end of the regular season

She broke her nose her Junior year. Had to wear it all year. Broke it again in the BE tournament. Put it back for the the NCAA tournement

She did not wear it this year. She had her nose broken two weeks ago and missed two games. Because of that broken nose, she’s relegated to wearing it again, but this time it seems to be bothering her, and it has affected her effectiveness..

Thanks. I don’t generally watch UConn so just seems like she’s worn it her entire career to me.

Really poor shooting night for USC. They like to jack it up and 80 possessions got them 73 points which is quite awful. Their two key players went 16 for 47 from the field. UConn managed to get their 80 points on 71 possession which is not real great, but certainly beats what USC did. Teams that work through the post and win the possession battle are your most consistent teams.

Harden rule.

Yah. Jut seems like an absolute joke on the court. A lot of players over the years could have been amazing if they were given that kind of leeway.

I've seen situations where guys stop their dribbling right around the step - or right as they step - and then take two more. Okay, that's how you use the rule, I get that, but Clark is clearly picking up her dribble, then a step, and a step, but there's that third little step where she really lines herself up. It's a habit she's developed over the years, because she does it so often. I saw her do it two years ago, last year, and now this year. GAH. Just pisses me off. I don't understand how you can have integrity in a sport if you give the most impactful players even more help from officiating. Same as with Purdue and Mr. Never Fouls Anyone.

If they'd call her for it, I bet she could play just fine without doing it. But heaven forbid we ask or expect players to play by rules.

I personally like the ladies doing a little trash talking during the game.

Sara Puckett would be a great trash talker, you can tell by her demeanor on the court.
So do I. I think it makes the games livelier as well, so long as players can take and dish it at the same time, and not go playing "victim" afterwards. I don't think Angel minded that one bit, and Rickea probably wasn't bothered by all of her lip service beforehand either.

It's the pearl clutchers here who want a bunch of alter girls on the court (when Tennessee clearly isn't it...those girls can be spicy when they choose to), but only seem to apply their high moral standards to other players.

So do I. I think it makes the games livelier as well, so long as players can take and dish it at the same time, and not go playing "victim" afterwards. I don't think Angel minded that one bit, and Rickea probably wasn't bothered by all of her lip service beforehand either.

It's the pearl clutchers here who want a bunch of alter girls on the court (when Tennessee clearly isn't it...those girls can be spicy when they choose to), but only seem to apply their high moral standards to other players.

I don't mind trash talk (within reason) either, but I thought the pointing to the ring finger thing and following her around with it was trashy behavior. I'd think the same if anyone, even a Tennessee player, did it.

What the expression? There's winning, and winning with class.

Old timers will remember that Candace got a lot of grief from opposing fans for her "unclassy antics". She was not as objectively flamboyant as Angel but for women's sports in the 1990s, she might have been relatively more so. Candace could talk a great trash game.

Elite women athletes grow up playing with the boys and they have to dish with the best of them. We are a bit passed the Victorian era.

It saddened me to hear Angel report that she has received death threats. Sports can bring out the best in people and the absolute worse.

VN Store

Back