Official WBB NCAA tournament thread 2024

Old timers will remember that Candace got a lot of grief from opposing fans for her "unclassy antics". She was not as objectively flamboyant as Angel but for women's sports in the 1990s, she might have been relatively more so. Candace could talk a great trash game.

Elite women athletes grow up playing with the boys and they have to dish with the best of them. We are a bit passed the Victorian era.

It saddened me to hear Angel report that she has received death threats. Sports can bring out the best in people and the absolute worse.
Individuals who go that far need to find a hobby.

Stuff like that is Harvey UpDyke individuals.

I don't mind trash talk (within reason) either, but I thought the pointing to the ring finger thing and following her around with it was trashy behavior. I'd think the same if anyone, even a Tennessee player, did it.

What the expression? There's winning, and winning with class.
I think the ring thing was pushing boundaries, but the end result was probably over the top. You'd think that Angel drowned a bag of kittens and puppies or something.

I have no animosity toward Bueckers or any of the current or recent CONN players (although I do sometimes wish a fly would zoom into her mouth when she makes that weird facial expression after big plays).

On the other hand, I always hope that her smarmy, profane, egotistical, back-biting coach loses every contest he ever participated in, even if it's just a game of tiddlywinks.

Railing at Geno got old and meaningless about 15 years ago....

Old timers will remember that Candace got a lot of grief from opposing fans for her "unclassy antics". She was not as objectively flamboyant as Angel but for women's sports in the 1990s, she might have been relatively more so. Candace could talk a great trash game.

Elite women athletes grow up playing with the boys and they have to dish with the best of them. We are a bit passed the Victorian era.

It saddened me to hear Angel report that she has received death threats. Sports can bring out the best in people and the absolute worse.
UConn fans thought Candace was the devil for some rather benign taunting and trash talking. And this is the program that unleashed Diana Taurasi to the world. Everyone thinks their players are angels (not of the Reese variety).

UConn fans thought Candace was the devil for some rather benign taunting and trash talking. And this is the program that unleashed Diana Taurasi to the world. Everyone thinks their players are angels (not of the Reese variety).
Anyone who thinks these young ladies playing basketball are Choir girls are delusional.

So do I. I think it makes the games livelier as well, so long as players can take and dish it at the same time, and not go playing "victim" afterwards. I don't think Angel minded that one bit, and Rickea probably wasn't bothered by all of her lip service beforehand either.

It's the pearl clutchers here who want a bunch of alter girls on the court (when Tennessee clearly isn't it...those girls can be spicy when they choose to), but only seem to apply their high moral standards to other players.
Lol, I think there's some distance btw the two. I like trash talk that stays on the court and is btw the players, not for fan whoppees.
I think the ring thing was pushing boundaries, but the end result was probably over the top. You'd think that Angel drowned a bag of kittens and puppies or something.
That's where some significant mature guidance would have greatly benefited Angel. She got quickly swept up as everyone's fave poster girl for whatever cultural cause, for good and bad. Everything went over the top. She did make big bank from it, but obviously it hasn't exactly been worth it. I feel bad for her.

The good news is that's old news. All that drama lasted exactly one year and now everyone is backing off of it. The great young players got no need for it. They do their talking no doubt but they don't seem bothered to feed a "good for the game" performance machine. They just ball. Thought the game last night was great in that respect, and a fitting bookend to a pretty troubling episode.

The good news is that's old news. All that drama lasted exactly one year and now everyone is backing off of it. The great young players got no need for it. They do their talking no doubt but they don't seem bothered to feed a "good for the game" performance machine. They just ball. Thought the game last night was great in that respect, and a fitting bookend to a pretty troubling episode.

The drama has certainly receded, but I think moments like that can give you insight into who someone is. Both from their actions, and what they do afterward. As to whether people in that situation reflect on their actions, or even feel like they ought to learn anything from them, who can say? Time will tell. Nothing else.

Well you're still ahead of about 90% of Americans who have trouble with two/too/to or there/their/they're.

Maybe you should teach. ;)

I use talk to text a lot on here when I’m on my phone. It makes a lot of those errors, thankfully none of us are getting a grade.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This is wild to think about. Mimi Collins will play in the final four this weekend for NCSt. She left Tennessee in protest of the firing of Holly Warlick.

I'm kind of going to miss these 30 yr old 6 year covid college players.
Who would have known after playing for Holly 12 years ago that Mimi would find herself in the Final Four?

This is wild to think about. Mimi Collins will play in the final four this weekend for NCSt. She left Tennessee in protest of the firing of Holly Warlick.

I'm kind of going to miss these 30 yr old 6 year covid college players.
It is so cool. Straight from the final four to drawing social security.....

What makes you think I think he isn't an American?
I’m wondering about you only, since you missed out on the English lessons on commas? His English is better than yours btw, even if it is his second language. Not uncommon these days in some circles.

I’m wondering about you only, since you missed out on the English lessons on commas? His English is better than yours btw, even if it is his second language. Not uncommon these days in some circles.
Dude (or dudette), you've missed the whole thing. (Maybe you missed out on the comprehension lessons, huh?) Obviously his English is good, that's why I was complementing him. I was also saying most Americans (whether he is one or not, not relevant), can't use two/to/too or there/their/they're let alone accept/except (which he used very well).

It's very unusual, especially on message boards to see someone use accept/except correctly. Let alone both of them correctly in the same sentence. He did, so I just told him, nice job. Geez, let the man have a complement.

VN Store

Back