Oklahoma at Home

That's the kind of scenario where you hang 50 on a good team. That was a great Vol victory -- no question. I think that 2022 team set 15 Tennessee offensive records: total points (599), points per game, total offense (6,832), total offense per game, yards per play (7.2), total touchdowns, passing touchdowns (38), rushing touchdowns (40), completion percentage (68.7), passing efficiency, passing yards (4,239), fewest interceptions thrown (3) and first downs (330).

I think the 2024 OU-Tennessee game will be a different story though. I actually think this might be a comparatively low scoring game.
I think so too. At the end of the day, both teams are starting unproven qb’s, the game is early in the season, and TN is on the road. Should be a great matchup.

I look at the flip side of the coin in that Oklahoma is due for a home loss.

This game brought back an old memory when TN ended Miami’s consecutive game winning streak. They hadn’t lost a game in over a year and I think undefeated @ home for two years. It was a boring game ending with a TN win that led to Kellen Winslow’s infamous post game quote.

Oklahoma will be a difficult game but one I expect to win. If we are going to get back to elite status, then we must win games like this.

I will be there - Go Vols!

That's the kind of scenario where you hang 50 on a good team. That was a great Vol victory -- no question. I think that 2022 team set 15 Tennessee offensive records: total points (599), points per game, total offense (6,832), total offense per game, yards per play (7.2), total touchdowns, passing touchdowns (38), rushing touchdowns (40), completion percentage (68.7), passing efficiency, passing yards (4,239), fewest interceptions thrown (3) and first downs (330).

I think the 2024 OU-Tennessee game will be a different story though. I actually think this might be a comparatively low scoring game.

You know, I said earlier in this thread that most of us agree this will be a dog fight.

But the more I think about it, the more I compare our strengths and weaknesses, the more I think this could be--not for sure, but possibly be--a lopsided win for the Vols.

I am pretty confident--as you seem to be--that our defense can contain your offense to a lowish score. Where you and I differ is, I'm not nearly as confident as you that your defense can slow down the offense we're about to unveil.

This could be a blowout after all. Or at least a comfortable win for the good guys.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
You know, I said earlier in this thread that most of us agree this will be a dog fight.

But the more I think about it, the more I compare our strengths and weaknesses, the more I think this could be--not for sure, but possibly be--a lopsided win for the Vols.

I am pretty confident--as you seem to be--that our defense can contain your offense to a lowish score. Where you and I differ is, I'm not nearly as confident as you that your defense can slow down the offense we're about to unveil.

This could be a blowout after all. Or at least a comfortable win for the good guys.

Go Vols!
Would love it, but I think some forget how bad Helps teams have been on the Rd. I remember how confident fans were about SC 2 yrs ago, Mizzou and Fla last year. We've gotten some beat downs on the road and some by teams we had zero business losing to. No way should we feel confident about any Rd game until the trend changes. Outside of at LSU, we've had very few good road wins. Hope that changes this year.GBO

...I think some forget how bad Helps teams have been on the Rd....SC 2 yrs ago, Mizzou and Fla last year. ...Outside of at LSU...

Okay, so if you think about it, your sample size is WAY too small to draw any conclusions.

Four games, right? USCe and LSU in '22, Mizzou and FL in '23. Four games. 3 losses, 1 win. Which is, statistically speaking, one data point from 50/50.

In other words, way too small a population to draw any conclusions about how well Hype teams do on the road.

Even more importantly, you cherry picked those four matches.

Let's try this instead: let's look at all the games Heupel led the Vols to outside Neyland Stadium:

2021:
@ Florida - Loss
@ Mizzou - Win
@ Bama - Loss
@ Kentucky - Win
Purdue (bowl) - Loss

2022:
@ Pitt - Win
@ LSU - Win
@ UGa - Loss
@ USCe - Loss
@ Vandy - Win
Clemson (bowl) - Win

2023:
Virginia (neutral site) - Win
@ Florida - Loss
@ Bama - Loss
@ Kentucky - Win
@ Mizzou - Loss
Iowa (bowl) - Win

So that's 9 wins, 8 losses over Heup's first three seasons (or if you prefer only true away games, it's 7 wins, 7 losses).

There are some decent victories in there: LSU, Pitt, Clemson, Iowa. There are also some painful losses: the three you mention, plus I'd add Purdue.

Then again, Heupel's first season was miraculous for not being a complete train wreck. I think we can forgive a bit of pain in 2021.

Bottom line is, you've cherry picked data to convince yourself Heup isn't good on the road. He's at least average. And that's including his first season, which ought to be a freebie/mulligan.

Go Vols!

We will need our defense to show up and shut them down. We have struggled to score in big road games at times under Huepel. I think it will be a somewhat low scoring game if we win.

You’re hoping for that you mean to say?

Your offense is in trouble because our front 7 is ferocious. Our secondary is much improved and your QB can’t take advantage of our only weakness

Iowa also had a stout defense. 4th in the country.
So if you want evidence of what Tennessee can do against a great defense- just look to our last bowl game.

People still sleep on Tennessees run game. We’re going to run to set up the pass. And this game will be over by halftime.

Oklahoma has ton of stuff to work as a football team. Welcome to the SEC yada yada yada, but this is BAD game for OU

Thank goodness Heupel won't be as overconfident

I will take a 1 point win right now. Couldn't care less as to score either
How do you know how confident he is in HIS football team???

You don’t.

Heupel was a scapegoat for OU, and he hasn’t forgotten that. Now he’s behind a better football team coming home to Norman.

Blood needs to be paid…

How do you know how confident he is in HIS football team???

You don’t.

Heupel was a scapegoat for OU, and he hasn’t forgotten that. Now he’s behind a better football team coming home to Norman.

Blood needs to be paid…
I know he won't go in there thinking we're going to win 50-20.

He'll be confident they can execute, but he won't be thinking about a score like you. That's 100%

Not sure if this tells us anything/something/very little, but Sooners record at home the past 3 years is 19-3, with the losses all occurring in 2022 to Kansas State, Texas and Baylor. Undefeated at home last year and 2021. With our completely new defensive backfield, my expectations for this game are cautiously optimistic. Heck, how can I/we be overly optimistic? Some teams just don't lose at home very often, regardless of where they finish the year. Anyway, hoping we reverse this trend in Norman this year!! Go Vols!

View attachment 666911
What this shows me is that Oklahoma has been able to feast on a cakewalk of a home schedule playing in the Big 12 conference. They lost just about every home game that they played in the last 3 years against a team with a pulse. Those days are over.

Reactions: igotworms
I know he won't go in there thinking we're going to win 50-20.

He'll be confident they can execute, but he won't be thinking about a score like you. That's 100%
We’re arguing about semantics then.

He’s going to try to beat Oklahoma as soundly as possible.

Is that better??

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Would love it, but I think some forget how bad Helps teams have been on the Rd. I remember how confident fans were about SC 2 yrs ago, Mizzou and Fla last year. We've gotten some beat downs on the road and some by teams we had zero business losing to. No way should we feel confident about any Rd game until the trend changes. Outside of at LSU, we've had very few good road wins. Hope that changes this year.GBO
Our fans were confident about that Mizzou game b/c they looked at the names of the teams playing and nothing else. Any non homer fan could have easily seen that Mizzou was a great team last year.

Reactions: LouderVol
If OU can block the Tennessee DL and allow their QB to pick the TN secondary apart, they’ll win. If their OL can’t, OU will lose & their QB might not be able to play the next week at Auburn.
Arnold threw 3 ints in their Bowl Game
He threw 3 ints in their scrimmage last week.

All he has yet to play against our defensive line which is the best in the SEC.

They’re starting 5 new olineman.
No…they won’t be able to block
- James Pearce jr
- Omar Norman Lott
- Jeremiah Telander/Ed Spillman
- Joshua Josephs
- Tyre West
- etc…..

Last edited:
Our fans were confident about that Mizzou game b/c they looked at the names of the teams playing and nothing else. Any non homer fan could have easily seen that Mizzou was a great team last year.
Yup.

That Mizzou team would beat this OU team by a similar score as they beat UT.

But now UT is a lot better this season.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
That's why it had the N, for Neutral beside it.

Yeah, I’m quite aware, obviously.

But, I did read the actual post:

Not sure if this tells us anything/something/very little, but Sooners record at home the past 3 years is 19-3, with the losses all occurring in 2022 to Kansas State, Texas and Baylor.

You’re hoping for that you mean to say?

Your offense is in trouble because our front 7 is ferocious. Our secondary is much improved and your QB can’t take advantage of our only weakness

Iowa also had a stout defense. 4th in the country.
So if you want evidence of what Tennessee can do against a great defense- just look to our last bowl game.

People still sleep on Tennessees run game. We’re going to run to set up the pass. And this game will be over by halftime.

Oklahoma has ton of stuff to work as a football team. Welcome to the SEC yada yada yada, but this is BAD game for OU
I wish I had this confidence. BVS I guess

Reactions: HalfullVol
They were a great team, and I’m not making excuses, but our team folded after Thorton was lost for the year when we answered on his 40 yd TD catch.

That’s one area where we need to improve: melting down when facing adversity.

Still wouldn’t have made a difference as we didn’t deserve to win that game last year, but we folded.

Reactions: 08Vol and Okie

VN Store

Back