Oklahoma at Home

Norman is historically a tough place for anyone to win against OU. But it happens, sometimes to teams that don't even have any business winning a game against OU anywhere. Even going back to the 80s, there always seemed to be a loss that could only be explained by overconfidence on OU's part.

I don't expect them to be overconfident against UT. If anything, they have a ton of respect for Josh Heupel and what he has accomplished. OU may not win, but I expect that it will be because UT plays an awesome game.

Norman is historically a tough place for anyone to win against OU. But it happens, sometimes to teams that don't even have any business winning a game against OU anywhere. Even going back to the 80s, there always seemed to be a loss that could only be explained by overconfidence on OU's part.

I don't expect them to be overconfident against UT. If anything, they have a ton of respect for Josh Heupel and what he has accomplished. OU may not win, but I expect that it will be because UT plays an awesome game.
…ex…cell…ent… 🤙🏼

Throw the names out of this game and just go with Xs and Os plus the rosters.

If you look at it from that view point with the limited sample we have from our Bowl games each…

It’s not a good matchup for OU. They honestly think their defense will keep it close. And hey they won 10 games last year and beat Texas. I understand their confidence but this is a Horrible matchup for them.

- When Nico starts to run, those cover 2 DBs will come to damn close.
- they can’t cover our WRs 1 on 1. As a matter of fact no team can this season.
- Then we will run at them with pace and power.

- Offensively they’ll try to roll the pocket and our dlineman will track that QB down.
- They will not have success running the ball and They will be down by 35 points before halftime….

NC State is a better team than OU.
- they have good RBs
- Proven QB in McCall
- speed at WR:
- fast LBs

If you look at it from that view point with the limited sample we have from our Bowl games each…

It’s not a good matchup for OU. They honestly think their defense will keep it close. And hey they won 10 games last year and beat Texas. I understand their confidence but this is a Horrible matchup for them.

- Offensively they’ll try to roll the pocket and our dlineman will track that QB down.
- They will not have success running the ball and They will be down by 35 points before halftime….

- they have good RBs
- Proven QB in McCall
- speed at WR:
- fast LBs

- they have good RBs
- Proven QB in McCall
- speed at WR:
- fast LBs
Aight then. I' think I'll take a mortage out on my house and lay it all on Tennessee. You reckon?

- they have good RBs
- Proven QB in McCall
- speed at WR:
- fast LBs
@trj would like a word with you… 🤣🤙🏼

Reactions: trj

- they have good RBs
- Proven QB in McCall
- speed at WR:
- fast LBs

I'm glad we'll play the game on the field instead of on your version of paper stats.

Just for grins, here's an alternate view of paper stats:

Player-1
• High School: Long Beach, CA (1986 yds, 25 TD senior year)
• Honors: Five-Star rating; 2024 Citrus Bowl MVP
• Bowl Game Stats:
• Passing: 12-19 (63%) for 151 yards (7.9 yds/attempt)
• Rushing: 15 attempts for 27 yards (1.8 yds/carry)
• led team to 28 points

Player-2
• Five-star player from Denton, TX (3383 yds, 33 TD senior year)
• Honors: Five-Star rating; Gatorade national player of year; Elite-11 MVP
• Bowl Game Stats
• Passing: 26-45 (58%) for 361 yards (8.0 yds/attempt)
• Rushing: 11 attempts for 38 yards (3.5 yds/carry)
• led team to 24 points

The player stat that Oklahoma would want to change from that bowl game performance was turnovers. Obviously Oklahoma's Jackson Arnold needs to complete the jump from high school ball to college ball. Those that know football around the OU program -- and OU has had a number of successful QBs including 4 Heisman winners and one Josh Heupel -- say Jackson Arnold is going to be special. Elite players sometimes have terrible initial outings during their transition year (Peyton Manning in the NFL, Troy Aikman in the NFL, the list is a long one). The Jackson Arnold you see in Norman on September 21 might look different than the Jackson Arnold that Arizona saw after 7 practices as Oklahoma's QB1.

I'm glad we'll play the game on the field instead of on your version of paper stats.

Just for grins, here's an alternate view of paper stats:

Player-1
• High School: Long Beach, CA (1986 yds, 25 TD senior year)
• Honors: Five-Star rating; 2024 Citrus Bowl MVP
• Bowl Game Stats:
• Passing: 12-19 (63%) for 151 yards (7.9 yds/attempt)
• Rushing: 15 attempts for 27 yards (1.8 yds/carry)
• led team to 28 points

Player-2
• Five-star player from Denton, TX (3383 yds, 33 TD senior year)
• Honors: Five-Star rating; Gatorade national player of year; Elite-11 MVP
• Bowl Game Stats
• Passing: 26-45 (58%) for 361 yards (8.0 yds/attempt)
• Rushing: 11 attempts for 38 yards (3.5 yds/carry)
• led team to 24 points

The player stat that Oklahoma would want to change from that bowl game performance was turnovers. Obviously Oklahoma's Jackson Arnold needs to complete the jump from high school ball to college ball. Those that know football around the OU program -- and OU has had a number of successful QBs including 4 Heisman winners and one Josh Heupel -- say Jackson Arnold is going to be special. Elite players sometimes have terrible initial outings during their transition year (Peyton Manning in the NFL, Troy Aikman in the NFL, the list is a long one). The Jackson Arnold you see in Norman on September 21 might look different than the Jackson Arnold that Arizona saw after 7 practices as Oklahoma's QB1.
Grateful you’ve stayed centered behind enemy lines. Hang n there, the closer to kickoff the more fire yer gonna take from the xenophobs…

Reactions: trj and LouderVol
Oklahoma wide receiver Jayden Gibson is expected to miss the 2024 season after suffering a significant knee injury during a fall camp practice last week, Sooners coach Brent Venables confirmed Tuesday afternoon. Gibson, a junior from Winter Garden, Florida, was viewed as a potential breakout star for Oklahoma in 2024 after he caught 14 passes for 375 yards and five touchdowns as a sophomore last fall. The 6-foot-5 pass catcher injured his knee in practice last Tuesday, and a subsequent MRI revealed damage that will keep Gibson on the sidelines for Oklahoma's debut SEC campaign this fall.

Oklahoma wide receiver Jayden Gibson is expected to miss the 2024 season after suffering a significant knee injury during a fall camp practice last week, Sooners coach Brent Venables confirmed Tuesday afternoon. Gibson, a junior from Winter Garden, Florida, was viewed as a potential breakout star for Oklahoma in 2024 after he caught 14 passes for 375 yards and five touchdowns as a sophomore last fall. The 6-foot-5 pass catcher injured his knee in practice last Tuesday, and a subsequent MRI revealed damage that will keep Gibson on the sidelines for Oklahoma's debut SEC campaign this fall.

Yeah -- that's a real loss. No way around it. Gibson is 6'5" and was going to be our possession receiver (especially in the red zone).

That's why I'm against college seasons extending too long. Some have proposed 32-team or even 64-team playoffs. College rosters simply don't have the depth for a season that long, nor should they. I'd argue that 15 games is already too long.

Next man up for the Sooners.

Yeah -- that's a real loss. No way around it. Gibson is 6'5" and was going to be our possession receiver (especially in the red zone).

That's why I'm against college seasons extending too long. Some have proposed 32-team or even 64-team playoffs. College rosters simply don't have the depth for a season that long, nor should they. I'd argue that 15 games is already too long.

Next man up for the Sooners.
Hate to see any player get hurt, especially in preseason. More targets for Anderson.

We have a sellout streak of 148 home games so I wouldn't count on more than the maximum required by the SEC.

Glad to have you here. Half my family is OU grads. I have 2 little cousins there now.

I will be at the game in Norman because my last remaining uncle is a big booster for OU.

I wish OU well, but when they play the real UT I hope they lose by 50.

When you play UTjr I will hope you win by 50.

Keep dodging tornados!!

OU fans like to brag about their record in Norman but they've historically played in a two team league, and they play the RRR in Dallas.

TX isn't much better as historically they haven't played many big games outside the state of TX.

I think both programs are in for a much different experience.
I think their fans and team will get up for the first SEC game, and its never ideal to be going into that situation as the away team. They can treat this like their one big game a year before the SEC grind takes over.

the overall talent level in the Big 12 is laughable compared to the SEC. excluding Texas and Oklahoma, the next top talented school is TCU, number 19. there are 7 SEC schools more talented than TCU.

the Big 12, sans the two that left, only had 4 schools in the top 50 of talent. the SEC has 13 schools in the Top 50 in talent, only Vandy is out.

I don't think Tennessee will have any SEC advantage for that first game, it will be all the other teams towards the end of the season who are going to benefit from Oklahoma's, and Texas's, past weak home schedule. hopefully we beat them up pretty good for everyone else.

the other thing is that those Big 12 schools going to Oklahoma, 80k, or Texas 100k, would not be used to playing in stadiums that large with crowds that large. which would help the home crowd even more. Instead of Oklahoma being about 20k more seats than a Big 12 team is used to, its going to be pretty average in the SEC. We have 4 stadiums larger than Texas's 100k, and an SEC school isn't going to be as intimidated, disrupted, as a Big 12 team would be.

plus the new headsets to help with communication. theoretically that should help communication while away.

Not sure if this tells us anything/something/very little, but Sooners record at home the past 3 years is 19-3, with the losses all occurring in 2022 to Kansas State, Texas and Baylor. Undefeated at home last year and 2021. With our completely new defensive backfield, my expectations for this game are cautiously optimistic. Heck, how can I/we be overly optimistic? Some teams just don't lose at home very often, regardless of where they finish the year. Anyway, hoping we reverse this trend in Norman this year!! Go Vols!

View attachment 666911
3 things:

1.) Only two home wins against ranked opponents in those 3 years. They have at least 3 home games against ranked opponents this year, potentially 4 depending on Sellers as a QB at s car.

2.) this entire schedule is likely the hardest schedule they’ve played in 50+ years. Have they ever faced 7 ranked teams in one regular season? The overall difficulty makes it harder to win week to week. They have Tennessee, auburn, and Texas in a 3 game span, and then have ole miss, Mizzou, Bama, and LSU in a 5 game stretch. They’re used to cupcake, cupcake, Kansas state, cupcake, cupcake, cupcake, texas, cupcake, cupcake, cupcake…

3.) 2021 doesn’t matter at all because that was Lincoln Riley’s team. We wouldn’t include 2020 results talking about Tennessee, because that was Pruitt.

Overall, not much to be taken from their results. I bet most of the SEC would have similar home results if their second hardest game was against a Kansas school. They’re 6-2 at home against power five under Venables in his two years. They’re 7-5 in home + neutral site.. Forgot to add that the tExAs loss was a neutral site game so doesn’t count as a home loss.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
3 things:

1.) Only two home wins against ranked opponents in those 3 years. They have at least 3 home games against ranked opponents this year, potentially 4 depending on Sellers as a QB at s car.

2.) this entire schedule is likely the hardest schedule they’ve played in 50+ years. Have they ever faced 7 ranked teams in one regular season? The overall difficulty makes it harder to win week to week. They have Tennessee, auburn, and Texas in a 3 game span, and then have ole miss, Mizzou, Bama, and LSU in a 5 game stretch. They’re used to cupcake, cupcake, Kansas state, cupcake, cupcake, cupcake, texas, cupcake, cupcake, cupcake…

3.) 2021 doesn’t matter at all because that was Lincoln Riley’s team. We wouldn’t include 2020 results talking about Tennessee, because that was Pruitt.

Overall, not much to be taken from their results. I bet most of the SEC would have similar home results if their second hardest game was against a Kansas school. They’re 6-2 at home against power five under Venables in his two years. They’re 7-5 in home + neutral site.. Forgot to add that the tExAs loss was a neutral site game so doesn’t count as a home loss.

That's a thoughtful post. Here's a few responses from a Sooner perspective:

1) Going back to 2000, OU is 23-5 against AP ranked teams at home. That's enough samples to be statistically significant and recent enough to be meaningful.

2) Just about every P4 team has a harder schedule after realignment. That's the point -- the media moguls wanted more must-see games. The goal for each contender is no longer to be undefeated; now things are more like the NFL and a 10-2 record will get you in the playoffs.

3) When picking the winner this year, I don't think you can place much of your reasoning on what happened in the last 2 games. However, I think there are plenty of other reasons to like Oklahoma in a close game.

OK, after setting my cup of kool-aid down, I still don't believe we will go into Norman and win this game. It's called home field advantage for a reason.

The only thing that will change my mind is if this Vol squad can show that they are really a much better team than we have seen since Heup took the reins.

1) Going back to 2000, OU is 23-5 against AP ranked teams at home. That's enough samples to be statistically significant and recent enough to be meaningful.

2) Just about every P4 team has a harder schedule after realignment. That's the point -- the media moguls wanted more must-see games. The goal for each contender is no longer to be undefeated; now things are more like the NFL and a 10-2 record will get you in the playoffs.

3) When picking the winner this year, I don't think you can place much of your reasoning on what happened in the last 2 games. However, I think there are plenty of other reasons to like Oklahoma in a close game.
And yours is a thoughtful post in response!

Regarding your first point, I don’t think anything that Stoops or Riley did is significant at all. You may disagree but I doubt you’d find anything during the Dooley, Butch Jones, or Pruitt eras to be significant to the present for Tennessee.

I agree with your second part for the most part. However, every team that is an exception to that point is in the conference you just joined. Tennessee’s schedule is not harder this year than in years past. Texas’s and Oklahoma’s schedules got much harder, but Bama’s, Georgia’s, LSU’s A&M’s, Auburn’s, etc only got marginally more difficult at best.

I agree with your third point. My reasoning for picking a winner (Tennessee by two scores, to be transparent) is that your offensive line seems to be your team weakness, and we have what some are calling the best DL in the nation… that, and our biggest question mark, the secondary, is hard to take advantage of if you can’t keep your inexperienced QB’s jersey clean.

The SEC is not kind to teams with weak OL. I don’t think a team has ever won anything of significance in our conference with anything less than a very good OL.

In conclusion, I think Oklahoma will do very well to get to 8-4 in year one, unless the reports of your OL are inaccurate and they end up being good.

I will say this. I’d rather play y’all later. Early season will be harder to beat y’all, but the wear and tear of the SEC could mean some slip ups for you later on in October and November.

Regardless. Buck Fama and horns down!! amirite?

Regarding your first point, I don’t think anything that Stoops or Riley did is significant at all. You may disagree but I doubt you’d find anything during the Dooley, Butch Jones, or Pruitt eras to be significant to the present for Tennessee.

I agree with your second part for the most part. However, every team that is an exception to that point is in the conference you just joined. Tennessee’s schedule is not harder this year than in years past. Texas’s and Oklahoma’s schedules got much harder, but Bama’s, Georgia’s, LSU’s A&M’s, Auburn’s, etc only got marginally more difficult at best.

I agree with your third point. My reasoning for picking a winner (Tennessee by two scores, to be transparent) is that your offensive line seems to be your team weakness, and we have what some are calling the best DL in the nation… that, and our biggest question mark, the secondary, is hard to take advantage of if you can’t keep your inexperienced QB’s jersey clean.

The SEC is not kind to teams with weak OL. I don’t think a team has ever won anything of significance in our conference with anything less than a very good OL.

In conclusion, I think Oklahoma will do very well to get to 8-4 in year one, unless the reports of your OL are inaccurate and they end up being good.

I will say this. I’d rather play y’all later. Early season will be harder to beat y’all, but the wear and tear of the SEC could mean some slip ups for you later on in October and November.

Alabama has the hardest schedule that I have seen them play in years. Georgia also has a more difficult schedule for once with Alabama and Texas.

If you’re not concerned about breaking in five new linemen in the premier league of CFB then you guys are as delusional as UGA fans.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

Well, it's probably not helping to go around this mulberry tree many more times, but here's a few more thoughts:

On first point -- coaches matter but there's more at play in favoring Oklahoma in this game.

On the second point -- the SEC definitely features more games with ranked opponents in 2024 than in 2023:
• More ranked opponents: Bama, Arky, Auburn, Florida, UGA, LSU, Miss St, OU, So Car, Vandy
• Less ranked opponents: Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mizzu
• Equal ranked opponents: Tenn, Texas, TAMU
-----
• Total Regular Season 2023: 59 ranked opponents for 14 members (uses AP poll at time of game)
• Total Regular Season 2024: 81 ranked opponents for 16 members (uses AP preseason poll)

On the third point –– I don't agree that Tennessee will exploit OU's OL or DL. Sure Tennessee may get a couple of sacks, but Oklahoma will likely dial up a successful blitz or two also.

And I totally agree Buck Fama and horns down!! :)

Last edited:
- they have good RBs
- Proven QB in McCall
- speed at WR:
- fast LBs

That’s who I’m worried about. It sounds as if we’re creating a trap game in September by not talking about our first ranked opponent.

18 days from now we get our first road game.

1723753576484.png

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back