Oklahoma at Home

If they were truly inexperienced, and if our OL coach didn't have a history of developing great OL and units, then I'd be much more concerned. Our OL players do have experience; however they haven't played together. The expectation is that they will be a work in progress during the first game, and a strong unit by the end of the season.
O-Line is something to watch just a few games into the season. If i were an OU fan, i would be very concerned about my QBs turnover issues. he had them in the Bowl game, He had them in the spring, and from the scrimmage reports that came out of norman last week, he had them in the scrimmage aswell. That alone is kidna concerning, especially when you area also breaking in new OC's aswell.

Hmmm. @Proud Army Wife , what seems outrageous from that prediction?
jmo:
that you neutralize our DL, but not LSU's at the end of a season after your OL has had a chance to gel. I mean maybe the writer is counting on the SEC grind.

Beating Bama because of their suspect D, but losing to LSU's more suspect D. seems like the writer gives all the benefit just to the home team over any type of analysis. I mean both Bama and LSU have new D coordinators. But it would be a really big flip to expect Bama's defense to go from what it was, to something that loses a game. vs LSU going from what they are, to what wins LSU games.

LSU was 105 last year, in overall defense. Bama was 18.

Buddy, please stick around another month or so. It’ll be fun..

That's cryptic. Is it that the article predicts Oklahoma beats Tennessee at home after Tennessee jumps out to an early lead? A slighly-favored home team squeaking past an underdog on the road doesn't seem outlandish for a team with over 90% home field winning percentage. What am I missing?

Is it one of the other games?

BTW, I'll be here after the Tennessee-Oklahoma game win, lose, or draw. Thanks for letting me join you on your board.

That's cryptic. Is it that the article predicts Oklahoma beats Tennessee at home after Tennessee jumps out to an early lead? A slighly-favored home team squeaking past an underdog on the road doesn't seem outlandish for a team with over 90% home field winning percentage. What am I missing?

BTW, I'll be here after the Tennessee-Oklahoma game win, lose, or draw. Thanks for letting me join you on your board.
You have a talented but turnover prone QB, and we have the #1 player in CFB on any list you pull at edge rusher. Literally just pick a list, any site you’d like, and James Pearce is 1st. And we signed the #1 edge of the last cycle, oh and he’s 4th string. We legit go six deep at d tackle, four deep at SDE, and three to four deep at edge. It is going to be a long, brutal night for Arnold. And yes I’m aware Arnold was a 5 star, but we also have the #1 player from his class as our starting QB. We have a 230lb back with 4.4 speed as our RB2, and RB3 runs a 10.5 100m at 6’1 210lbs. OU better buckle up the chin straps, because after Heup shake hands and kiss the babies it will be a rough one for Sooner fans.

jmo:
that you neutralize our DL, but not LSU's at the end of a season after your OL has had a chance to gel. I mean maybe the writer is counting on the SEC grind.

Beating Bama because of their suspect D, but losing to LSU's more suspect D. seems like the writer gives all the benefit just to the home team over any type of analysis. I mean both Bama and LSU have new D coordinators. But it would be a really big flip to expect Bama's defense to go from what it was, to something that loses a game. vs LSU going from what they are, to what wins LSU games.

LSU was 105 last year, in overall defense. Bama was 18.

My reading was that the writer expects Tennessee to get sacks, but Oklahoma is still able to have some passing success and points. Do you really think Oklahoma will fail to have any success in the passing game?

I think a lot of people don't know what to make of LSU. They have a ton of raw team talent, but they lost a lot of starters including their incredible QB1. It's true their defense was awful last year, but again they have a ton of talent, and they significantly upgraded their defensive assistants. We get LSU as the last game of the season, at LSU, at night. That might be a tough game.

The only upset the writer picks according to Bill Connelly's SP+ rankings is Alabama at home. Alabama has a lot of questions too -- did you hear that they have a new coach? In 2013, we beat Saban (who was favored by 15) by double digits. It seems possible that we could beat a good Bama team at home after our young QB and OL get ten games of experience.

It's going to be a great game for both fan bases. If you've never been to a game in Norman, it's a great environment. Kansas State has given OU fits over the years with sound, fundamental football. Neyland's game maxims will never be more important than they will be in Norman.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Wasn’t our choice. 😴
giphy.gif

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
You have a talented but turnover prone QB, and we have the #1 player in CFB on any list you pull at edge rusher. Literally just pick a list, any site you’d like, and James Pearce is 1st. And we signed the #1 edge of the last cycle, oh and he’s 4th string. We legit go six deep at d tackle, four deep at SDE, and three to four deep at edge. It is going to be a long, brutal night for Arnold. And yes I’m aware Arnold was a 5 star, but we also have the #1 player from his class as our starting QB. We have a 230lb back with 4.4 speed as our RB2, and RB3 runs a 10.5 100m at 6’1 210lbs. OU better buckle up the chin straps, because after Heup shake hands and kiss the babies it will be a rough one for Sooner fans.

So picking OU over Tennessee, the outcome Vegas predicts, means the writer is "smoking crack"? Folks, Oklahoma has a proud football program. While they're young in places for 2024, they're a strong team this year.

My reading was that the writer expects Tennessee to get sacks, but Oklahoma is still able to have some passing success and points. Do you really think Oklahoma will fail to have any success in the passing game?

I think a lot of people don't know what to make of LSU. They have a ton of raw team talent, but they lost a lot of starters including their incredible QB1. It's true their defense was awful last year, but again they have a ton of talent, and they significantly upgraded their defensive assistants. We get LSU as the last game of the season, at LSU, at night. That might be a tough game.

The only upset the writer picks according to Bill Connelly's SP+ rankings is Alabama at home. Alabama has a lot of questions too -- did you hear that they have a new coach? In 2013, we beat Saban (who was favored by 15) by double digits. It seems possible that we could beat a good Bama team at home after our young QB and OL get ten games of experience.
It’s not a ridiculous prediction, based on what we know right now. Most fans on this board think the OU game will be a tough one. Something Tennessee and OU have in common is a young, relatively inexperienced qb. I think because of the weapons we have on our Dline, the offensive playcalling on yalls side will be pretty conservative early. Short passes and runs. I don’t see OU being able to run on us consistently, but my goodness it’s been a while since I’ve seen a UT team be able to defend a slant effectively. Looking forward to the matchup

So picking OU over Tennessee, the outcome Vegas predicts, means the writer is "smoking crack"? Folks, Oklahoma has a proud football program. While they're young in places for 2024, they're a strong team this year.
IMHO, 9-3 is OU's ceiling, could just as easily end up 7-5. Pretty good team, I agree. Lack of depth on the offensive side of the ball should be the primary concern.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I didn’t say smoking crack, so I’m not sure what you’re referencing. I just think we pound the ball down your throat, and suffocate your young QB. Pretty much a typical SEC game, something we’ve been accustomed to a long time. The days of Baylor & Kansas etc giving you all you can handle are over. The only break you’ll get is when you play Vandy. Welcome..

Hmmm. @Proud Army Wife , what seems outrageous from that prediction?
It’s not so much the prediction although 9-3 is a very generous take for a team’s first year in the SEC with that schedule no less. It’s more about the writer of the article. He hasn’t put out TN’s predictions yet but if his others are any indication then we’re losing every game lol. He’s notorious for crapping on TN.

I didn’t say smoking crack, so I’m not sure what you’re referencing. I just think we pound the ball down your throat, and suffocate your young QB. Pretty much a typical SEC game, something we’ve been accustomed to a long time. The days of Baylor & Kansas etc giving you all you can handle are over. The only break you’ll get is when you play Vandy. Welcome..
He’s referencing me but also making huge assumptions that I was referring to our game. I wasn’t. I was referring to the writer in general as he has notoriously bad takes. I just linked the article here because it was about OK.

It’s not so much the prediction although 9-3 is a very generous take for a team’s first year in the SEC with that schedule no less. It’s more about the writer of the article. He hasn’t put out TN’s predictions yet but if his others are any indication then we’re losing every game lol. He’s notorious for crapping on TN.
Connor O’Gara is notoriously a click bait writer. He can’t even keep his links straight. He also picks Arky to beat Tennessee in Fayetteville. But. It is that time of year. Wouldn’t read much into it. And I certainly wouldn’t seek to run an apparently respectable OU fan off for a difference of perspective or bias.

SI is written to their base which would make Paul Finebaum blush were they to compare idiots. 😉

Here's a take that isn’t cryptic. We about to whip that ass. Welcome to the SEC.

Reactions: OrangeMoundTNVol

I wouldn't say the author is smoking crack, but I think his assessment of which factors predicate winning are wrong.

The run game will decide this one for both teams. Huge advantage to either team that can shut down the others run.

What will matter is the confusion that Venables draws up for Iamaleava in his first road start.
We don't pass to set up the run, we run to set up the pass.
If you can shut down the run then sure, Iamaleava will have to read the defense and force it down field. How much improvement are you expecting from your D though? I'm not 100% where we ended up, but we were the top rushing offense in the SEC most of last season.
I'm as excited as the next Vol fan about Nico winning the next three Heismans, but I'm expecting way more WR screens and quick reads than down field throws. That's all coming straight from the sideline depending on how many you guys put in the box.

When Arnold can avoid James Pearce Jr., Tennessee’s secondary gets exposed.
On defense, LB's will make the difference more than the secondary. Last year FL&MO exploited our injuries (GA just out talented us & AL ref balled us). We brought in about a good as you can at LB Coach with Inge and our talent has improved massively. We should be much tougher to run against again.

How good are you RB's both blocking & recieiving in the passing game? Having not yet fielded a strong secondary under Heupel & T. Banks regime, our defense has schemed to shut down the run and bring pressure on passing downs rather than trusting our coverage. We're more likely to start off bringing 5 on passing downs than trust our coverage and hoping a 4 man front is enough.

Arnold could possibly have a 300yrd 3TD game and it won't necessarily mean he exposed us. It could mean we played zone read most the game and that's what we gave.......

Definitely think you will have some success in the passing game. if your qb is even on a decent level, I would expect some positives, maybe more than the negatives. i just don't see it as game winning success. at least with the reasoning of the DL being the deciding factor in several games per the writer. I think the writer's logic was inconsistent.

in football, especially in the SEC, everything is possible. its why we play the game. I would just expect an approach that varied as much as this writer's justifications.

reading those write ups, Oklahoma didn't sound like it had an overall weakness, or even strength. It was seemed like an magic eight ball filling in the blank.

Oklahoma's (position group) will (win/lose) Oklahoma (random game).

I get that it's football, and at least somewhat random. but over the course of the season, there should be a theme that develops. and the theme the writer creates doesn't make sense to me.

Definitely think you will have some success in the passing game. if your qb is even on a decent level, I would expect some positives, maybe more than the negatives. i just don't see it as game winning success. at least with the reasoning of the DL being the deciding factor in several games per the writer. I think the writer's logic was inconsistent.

in football, especially in the SEC, everything is possible. its why we play the game. I would just expect an approach that varied as much as this writer's justifications.

reading those write ups, Oklahoma didn't sound like it had an overall weakness, or even strength. It was seemed like an magic eight ball filling in the blank.

Oklahoma's (position group) will (win/lose) Oklahoma (random game).

I get that it's football, and at least somewhat random. but over the course of the season, there should be a theme that develops. and the theme the writer creates doesn't make sense to me.
Thank you for a reasoned response. I hate it when we get xenophobic and boorish on the board.

Reactions: LouderVol

Ahhh. I'm still learning the SEC media landscape. Thanks for the frank review of Connor O'Gara -- that's a new name for me.

I wouldn't say the author is smoking crack, but I think his assessment of which factors predicate winning are wrong.

The run game will decide this one for both teams. Huge advantage to either team that can shut down the others run.

We don't pass to set up the run, we run to set up the pass.
If you can shut down the run then sure, Iamaleava will have to read the defense and force it down field. How much improvement are you expecting from your D though? I'm not 100% where we ended up, but we were the top rushing offense in the SEC most of last season.
I'm as excited as the next Vol fan about Nico winning the next three Heismans, but I'm expecting way more WR screens and quick reads than down field throws. That's all coming straight from the sideline depending on how many you guys put in the box.

On defense, LB's will make the difference more than the secondary. Last year FL&MO exploited our injuries (GA just out talented us & AL ref balled us). We brought in about a good as you can at LB Coach with Inge and our talent has improved massively. We should be much tougher to run against again.

How good are you RB's both blocking & recieiving in the passing game? Having not yet fielded a strong secondary under Heupel & T. Banks regime, our defense has schemed to shut down the run and bring pressure on passing downs rather than trusting our coverage. We're more likely to start off bringing 5 on passing downs than trust our coverage and hoping a 4 man front is enough.

Arnold could possibly have a 300yrd 3TD game and it won't necessarily mean he exposed us. It could mean we played zone read most the game and that's what we gave.......

@MemphisVol77 , we should have a strong rushing attack. Phil Steele ranks our RB corp as 5th in the SEC. I think we will end the season with a very strong rushing attack. I'm not sure how far along we will be on Sept-21st.

I do expect our defense to be very strong from the season's outset.

VN Store

Back