One Game you wished you'd seen in person/live

Well since I've seen all the great games since, either in person or on TV, I'd have to say 1956 vs Georgia Tech. Vols won 6-0 on way to undefeated season. This game was once rated the 2nd greatest game ever played.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll always regret not going to the 1986 Sugar Bowl. Watched it on TV though. One of the best games ever! I watched it in my apt on White Ave where the new parking garage is at White, 11th & Cumberland. You could hear whooping & hollering late into the night!!!

Yes, this reminded of other games that were not on TV back in the day. The '89 UCLA game, where we unleashed the Cobb-Webb backfield to the Bruins surprise, the '66 game against UCLA that we won, 37-34, played in Memphis with Dewey Warren as the hero, the '67 Alabama game where Albert Dorsey intercepted three passes and was on the cover of SI, Vols winning 24-13, and the '69 Alabama game, Jackie Walker leads Vols to 41-13 thrashing of the Tide on Legion Field.

After the 86 Sugar Bowl, I would like to have been at the 1971 Tennessee -- Penn State game in Neyland Stadium. PSU was undefeated and #4 in the nation and complaining about not getting the respect they deserved.

The Nittany Lions were driving early in the game when Jackie Walker hit QB Huffnagel and Conrad Graham intercepted the pitch and ran about 80 yds for a TD and the rout was on.

Penn State had Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell in their backfield and the #12 ranked Vols took them apart 31-11. The Vols added an INT return for a TD by Walker and a punt return for a TD by Bobby Majors for another one.

I've still got this one on VHS. The most awesome play (to me) in the game was when we were already leading 28-7, and Jeff Powell ran a LONG touchdown to truly ice the game. Powell was way down the depth chart and had not participated very much during the year. But he was a track star also, and he showed why on that run.

Was at this game. 3 to 1 Tenn fans at least. Miami scored and people said the rout was on. They were right but not the way they expected. Stayed in town for 2 more days to party and locals loved us because lots of fans stuck around a few days, spent lots of money, Was the best time i ever had at a Tenn game.

The 1982 Alabama game. I would have loved to have been there

Was there with my wife (we had just gotten engaged). Third row up in the endzone of the student section. Spent all night in line wrapped around the student center by a "fire barrel" to keep warm with to get the tickets...ah...those were the days. Rushed the field, Johnny was carried off on shoulders, and the Bear just hung his head and retired.

Personally, would have loved to have seen any game the General coached.

86 Sugar Bowl
91 Miracle at South Bend
95 @ Alabama
98 vs Florida
98 vs Arkansas

This is my list except I would replace the Miracle at South bend with the National Championship game.

I was at the Miracle at South Bend

1995 Alabama game
1998 Florida game
1998 Arkansas game
1998 NC game
2001 Florida game
2003 Alabama game (5 OT win)
2009 Georgia game
2009 South Carolina game

I'd have to agree with some who said the SugarVols in the Sugar Bowl in 1985 would have been the one I'd like to have seen in person. I did see it on TV and I was about as excited as I've ever been; could not imagine what it would have been like to be there. Having come to most games at Neyland since 1967, I've seen the great ones like the Penn State wins in the 1970's, that Alabama game that broke the long spell against them in 1982 where a running back by the name of Chuck Coleman was a key player -- from my high school, Iroquois, in Louisville, Kentucky, and Reggie White personally dismantling LSU in 1983, the "Bo-1985 to be Heisman Trophy-winner-knows he going to get beat game -- Auburn 1985 where Tony Robinson becomes the story, and and the crescendo building to that awesome game against Miami and future Heisman Trophy winner Vinnie Testaverde. I was living in Chicago the year of the Miracle at South Bend and miraculously I was there as was Jeremy Lincoln's behind. Then all of those good ones with Heath Shuler and the greatest of all time Peyton Manning. I recall James Wilhoit's second chance field goal that won the 2004 game game against Florida. Then there was the incredible NC year. I remember purchasing the biggest TV I could find prior to the opening of the 1998 season and just in time to see the Vols eek out that final second field goal by incredible Jeff Hall against Syracuse and Donovan McNabb which was then followed by that Florida game. My son, who was six years old at the time was with me and probably got his lifelong Orange Bloodedness as the Vols won its first overtime game 20-17 against Florida as they missed that field goal. The southend of the endzone exploded a millisecond ahead of the rest of the stadium because we could see it had missed - I saw the daylight between the goal post and the ball to the left, my right. Since all the rest of the crowd went down on the carpet, I took my son down there, too. By the time, we arrived, the goal post was gone and already making its way down Cumberland Avenue. At South Carolina, where Tee Martin made every pass he threw. Then there was Arky's Clint Stoerner fumble that Billy Ratliff grabbed that raised my spirits from the depths of despair headed toward total exhilaration with Travis Henry pounding out the 40 roads to paydirt and a Vols comeback win to stay #1. Still living in Chicago, I had to overcome the Blizzard of 1998 to get to Phoenix for the NC game and just made it several hours prior to gametime. Giving me that feeling that something good was going to happen, there was an omen at the hotel. Despite living in Chicago, I got the closest hotel room to Midway Airport I could find to make sure I would not miss that early early morning flight; the snow was piled several feet deep and the temperature was more than 20 below zero windchill. In the hotel lobby, I saw another person headed for the airport dressed in Orange. I took up a brief conversation with him and it was Billy Ratliff's father! I heard there were several chartered aircraft who could not make it out of Nashville because of ice. The NC game was definitely colored Orange with the huge Vols crowd there that night. Long and loud into the night were the cheers, "It is GREAT to BE a TENNESSEE VOL!!

The 98 Florida game was amazing, I don't think you can beat that atmosphere. It was probably our greatest game ever when you look at it

Reactions: 2 people
Any game, I just desperately want to get myself to Neyland.

If I had to pick though, I would say the game when we lit up Bama with Manning at centre 41-14. That would have been cool.

Miracle at South Bend
Sugar Vols
'98 Arky
Florida in the downpour(Mose Phillips pose)

VN Store

Back