One Game you wished you'd seen in person/live

Any game from 1998 or before when Tennessee Volunteer teams got hit in the mouth and knocked on their behinds, yet stayed mentally and physically tough and found a way or made a way to endure through to a victory. In seasons of late, they do really well until something goes against them....a bad call, or a fumble, or a coach blowing an opporunity to be SEC savvy, then they fold in a gut wrenching way. That said, I think Butch has the trainwreck cleared and has the train rebuilding.

Off the top of my head, here are a few of those games (in no particular order):

1989 LSU
1990 (1991 Sugar Bowl against UVA)
1991 ND
1992 UGA
1984 BAMA
1985 BAMA
1987 Iowa
1990 Colorado (ended in a tie)

Off the top of my head, here are a few of those games (in no particular order):

1989 LSU
1990 (1991 Sugar Bowl against UVA)
1991 ND
1992 UGA
1984 BAMA
1985 BAMA
1987 Iowa
1990 Colorado (ended in a tie)

Glad to see someone mention this - the other Sugar Bowl. UVA spent part of the year ranked #1. It was a terrific fightback by the Vols with a last minute TD to win it.

Anyone who was there will tell you the 1992 Florida game in the downpour was one of the best days in Neyland in living memory.

Miracle at South Bend
1999 Fiesta Bowl
1986 Sugar Bowl
1996 UF game (I could not find my student id and couldn't get in. Had we pulled off the comeback it would be at the top of the list)

Best game I've attended was 1998 Florida
Best road game was 1995 Bama

Top two games I attended were
1996 alabama at neyland. I was 11 and it was raining and we were down late in the third and I kept begging my dad to go and he talked me into staying cause he knew what could happen with Peyton at the helm.
Which ever year we played cal at home and they were pretty high in the pre-season polls #9 I think and we beat the brakes off em.
These are my two favorite memories but would have loved to been at some of the bowl games in the 80's and the nc game in 98

Crompton deserves the accolades: we need to keep in perspective that some of these young men mature at different rates.

I like seeing these young men mature, especially when they have college eligibility at UT!

So what's your point? I didn't smash on the kid.

Glad to see someone mention this - the other Sugar Bowl. UVA spent part of the year ranked #1. It was a terrific fightback by the Vols with a last minute TD to win it.

Anyone who was there will tell you the 1992 Florida game in the downpour was one of the best days in Neyland in living memory.

The 1990 game against Fla wasn't bad either. UT thrashed Fla 45-3. It was close at halftime and Dale Carter's kickoff return to start the 2nd half opened the floodgates. The crowd was electric.

Fla would've won the SEC that year, but they were on probation. So, UT was the next in line, won the SEC and got to go to the Sugar Bowl. The last time UT has been there. 22 years. Damn. I had no idea when I was at that game that it would be over two decades and counting before UT made it back.

I was fortunate enough to be at all of the home games in'98 ( Fla, Arky fumble, etc), but one of my fondest memories of that season was the Kentucky game. Yes, we won and remained undefeated toward championship dreams. But it was, IIRC, the last game John Ward and Bill Anderson called at Neyland. Watching Kenny Chesney at midfield honoring "The Voice of The Vols" gave me chills.

I would LOVE to be able to see any or all of the games from that undefeated/untied/un -scored on team in the 30's!

2001 at Florida. Best UT game I have ever seen, just wish I could have been there in person instead of watching it on the tube.

The 1986 Sugar Bowl. All I've heard from fans who were there was how it was eardrum-busting loud. The second half of that game has to be one of finest halves ever played by a UT defense.

The 2 that come to mind are 98 NC game, awesome!
And the 85 Sugar Bowl against Miami.
I will never forget Jimmy Johnson saying before the game, "after this game we should be ranked no.1"
Suck It Jimmy!!!

Last edited:
It's a tough call, but here are the top 10 games I HAVE ATTENDED.....

1969 South Carolina - just because it was my first game I ever attended and the memory of riding on my dad's shoulders...
1982 Bama - after 11 straight losses
1986 Sugar Bowl (Miami) - 10 to 1, Tennessee fans
1991 Notre Dame - "the greatest comeback in Tennessee Football history"
1992 Florida - the RAIN!!
1995 Bama - The first play, Manning to Kent
1996 Citrus Bowl (Ohio State) - Bill Duff vs Eddie George
1998 Florida - no..sireeee.
1998 Arkansas - yeah, the fumble, but Travis Henry was a monster!!
1999 Fiesta Bowl (FSU) - National Champs, not the greatest game, but the only National Championship of my life (and I'm 52).

SugarVols, no doubt. I remember watching the game at home with a 102 degree fever, slept through every other bowl game that day. By half time of the Sugar Bowl, I was off the couch, blanket on the floor, dancing on the coffee table. '85 Vols cured the flu.

Exactly what it says on the tin. Which UT game in all of history do you wish you could've seen in person (or if you prefer, live on tv) that you were too young to remember, not born yet at all, or somehow couldn't see?

For me personally, I'd go with the Sugar Bowl where we trounced Miami in 86. I can't imagine how awesome that was to see in action, especially in that decade and time for Miami.

Miracle at South Bend would have been nice to take a few hours off during Mountain Phase of Ranger School.

Reactions: 1 person
To change it up a bit, I'm going to say the NC State game from this past year. When I saw us dominating that game against an NC State team that I thought was a pretty strong team, I believed I was watching the Vols we were all expecting to see this season. A high-powered, unstoppable offense with a decent defense. That was also CP's big "I don't know who this guy is, but he's the real deal" game.

As it turns out........ that game was quite misleading.

VN Store

Back