Opinion from a 17 year old Vol fan ( long)

I had to sit up for this one.....yeah traditions are very important and they are things that we remember as a kid and love until we die. But the kid did make a good point in saying that it is not such a bad thing to tweak things in order to cause excitement among recruits in general. Because quite frankly, I don't care if a uniform doesn't excite some old fart. If it excites recruits and they want to come to Tennessee and win games...that is exciting to me.

Lot's of people share the ideals of this kid. It was a good post. It's not just "teens" though that think they "get it". I am 33 and love attention lol. JK. Seriously though......I don't know how to comment about a 50 yo man tweeting a 18 yo about "stuff", but social media is huge these days, BUTCH gets that, and so does everyone I work with. They are in their 40's and 50's. Lots of people get this, not just "teens".

Reactions: 1 person
Personal stuff yes, but just sending messages like "Enjoy your visit on Rocky Top and I hope you join the VFL family" or something like that is fine. IMO.

still creepy but everyone has to set their own limit. Twittercruitin ain't easy

Winning keeps you relevant. Coming out in flashy uni's only to get your Arse kicked makes you look like a clown.

That's obvious and I agree..and I never said we should come out looking like Oregon or something like that....but if you think that we can wear the same uni's and never change it up a bit then your just wrong, very wrong.:ermm: It's just cool...as long as you stay in moderation.

Last edited:
Personal stuff yes, but just sending messages like "Enjoy your visit on Rocky Top and I hope you join the VFL family" or something like that is fine. IMO.

I can just see some nut fan telling a recruit how good the copper cellar is then staking it out on a chance of meeting him or them.

solid post young man and thanks for the input.

I guess I am considered a old timer being in my late 50's and I can say that I am not against change, traditions have to start someplace. New uniforms done right I think would be great.
I personally would like to see a new type of intro music for when the team comes on the field and runs through the T. Maybe something like AC-DC Thunderstruck or some kind of hard hitting music, something to really get the fans and the team fired up. (the fans could bring the Thunder )

Traditions are great and I am all for them , but we have to keep up with the times also.

Good post - and I am right there with you on the age.

A big shout out to the OP - well done!!! Thanks for staying connected to your friends and giving the rest of us the truth. As far as the local media's talking heads go - forget about 'em. For the most part they are clueless. They were all for the changes that happened in their day. It is your turn.

While on the subject, somebody please inform the PotS director to enter a new age as well with their half time show. After 50+ years of essentially seeing the same stuff or their pathetic attempt to go current with a 30 year old rock ballad - I have to leave my seat and do something else I am so bored. And I have family members that have been in the band that agree with me.

New dawn, new age, time for positive change.

Reactions: 2 people
Good post - and I am right there with you on the age.

A big shout out to the OP - well done!!! Thanks for staying connected to your friends and giving the rest of us the truth. As far as the local media's talking heads go - forget about 'em. For the most part they are clueless. They were all for the changes that happened in their day. It is your turn.

While on the subject, somebody please inform the PotS director to enter a new age as well with their half time show. After 50+ years of essentially seeing the same stuff or their pathetic attempt to go current with a 30 year old rock ballad - I have to leave my seat and do something else I am so bored. And I have family members that have been in the band that agree with me.

New dawn, new age, time for positive change.

Well said...but it has been like this for a while. He is good at what he does but he just takes tradition to the extreme IMO.

Great post!! The backlash that the uniform change has brought always makes me laugh!! If that's what it takes to get Johnny 5 star, do it imho!!
Social media is huge with teens, period!! I'm only 35, but my daughter is 17, so she and her friends are always around tweeting pics of us out wake boarding, or instagram, whatever!! They eat it up!
I think you will see that most agree with you, but there will always be that crowd that is never happy!! GBO!!!

Maybe something like AC-DC Thunderstruck or some kind of hard hitting music, something to really get the fans and the team fired up. (the fans could bring the Thunder )

Traditions are great and I am all for them , but we have to keep up with the times also.

keeping up with the times means playing a song released before the players were born?

I'm about to be a senior in highschool and I am friends with several freshman on the team and several recruits committed or be recruited by UT. You ask why am I starting a thread? I am starting a thread so you can see what I think about social media, new uniforms ETC.. Because I guarantee I have the same or close to the same interests as many of the current players and players we are recruiting.

First topic- new uniforms
I realize the traditionalist hate change what so ever but if you want to impress the kids of today you have to keep up with the times. What Butch is doing with our uniforms is great because he isn't going Oregon flashy but he is bringing a new style to them, which I can tell you first hand by talking to my friends who are on the team love it. I can also tell you there is more to come with the uniforms. You guys haven't seen anything yet.

Second topic- "Rocky Top"
To those of you who want "rocky top" gone.... go ahead and take your orange and give it away. I absolutely love Rocky Top and in my opinion it should never even be in question to get rid of it. There is nothing like hearing 100,000 + fans screaming such a great song.

Last Topic- Social Media
To the people thinking its weird and ripping other posters on here for following recruits on twitter because you think its creepy... just stop. We teens absolutely love the attention and I for one is very involved in Twitter, Instagram etc. So keep up the good work VOL fans because trust me every teen loves getting attention anywhere we can get it, and social media is a great tool for VOL fans to show who the best fan base is to these recruits. Like I said before, if we want to win we have to keep up with the times, and Coach Jones gets that as he makes sure his whole staff and himself are very involved with social media.

Conclusion...
This tread was for just in case you wanted to know how the younger generation felt about some hot topics on this board. Because after all I am the same age and I think the same as most of these recruits. How do I know that? Because I have 3 friends currently freshman on the team and 2 friends committed and 1 friend getting recruited by UT.. But I will probably get ripped by some of you but I don't care, at least you know how the younger fans think. So with that I say GO VOLS!! Hopefully we can shock some people this year and build some momentum going into the year the 2014 class (my class) comes in! :hi:

Bama's uniforms aren't flashy, and they're doing OK.

That's obvious and I agree..and I never said we should come out looking like Oregon or something like that....but if you think that we can wear the same uni's and never change it up a bit then your just wrong, very wrong.:ermm: It's just cool...as long as you stay in moderation.

How am I wrong? I said I'm not against slight tweeks. But Bama still has their same old school look and recruiting is fine with them. Win and recruits will come. Flashy unis or dull unis. Winning....

How am I wrong? I said I'm not against slight tweeks. But Bama still has their same old school look and recruiting is fine with them. Win and recruits will come. Flashy unis or dull unis. Winning....

My mistake. No sarcasm. But using Bama as the example probably isn't the best team to use.

Good stuff, man. Being 18 and an incoming UT freshman, I agree. The only thing is I come from a high school in Knoxville with very minimal football talent, so I don't have any insight into the players opinions on anything, so good on you!

I'm about to be a senior in highschool and I am friends with several freshman on the team and several recruits committed or be recruited by UT. You ask why am I starting a thread? I am starting a thread so you can see what I think about social media, new uniforms ETC.. Because I guarantee I have the same or close to the same interests as many of the current players and players we are recruiting.

First topic- new uniforms
I realize the traditionalist hate change what so ever but if you want to impress the kids of today you have to keep up with the times. What Butch is doing with our uniforms is great because he isn't going Oregon flashy but he is bringing a new style to them, which I can tell you first hand by talking to my friends who are on the team love it. I can also tell you there is more to come with the uniforms. You guys haven't seen anything yet.

Second topic- "Rocky Top"
To those of you who want "rocky top" gone.... go ahead and take your orange and give it away. I absolutely love Rocky Top and in my opinion it should never even be in question to get rid of it. There is nothing like hearing 100,000 + fans screaming such a great song.

Last Topic- Social Media
To the people thinking its weird and ripping other posters on here for following recruits on twitter because you think its creepy... just stop. We teens absolutely love the attention and I for one is very involved in Twitter, Instagram etc. So keep up the good work VOL fans because trust me every teen loves getting attention anywhere we can get it, and social media is a great tool for VOL fans to show who the best fan base is to these recruits. Like I said before, if we want to win we have to keep up with the times, and Coach Jones gets that as he makes sure his whole staff and himself are very involved with social media.

Conclusion...
This tread was for just in case you wanted to know how the younger generation felt about some hot topics on this board. Because after all I am the same age and I think the same as most of these recruits. How do I know that? Because I have 3 friends currently freshman on the team and 2 friends committed and 1 friend getting recruited by UT.. But I will probably get ripped by some of you but I don't care, at least you know how the younger fans think. So with that I say GO VOLS!! Hopefully we can shock some people this year and build some momentum going into the year the 2014 class (my class) comes in! :hi:

My 12 year old nephew, from a small town in South Carolina, loves Oregon football strictly because of the unis. It is definitely a way to get attention with the recruits and, apparently, gain young fans from far away places with no ties to the school.

Nice OP, young man.

But stay off my lawn!

128899735614287476.jpg

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

hA28148F6

:eek:lol:Get rid of rocky top:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

My mistake. No sarcasm. But using Bama as the example probably isn't the best team to use.

Why isn't Bama the best example? They have dull ugly maroon unis that look like they're from the 50's. They have the top class in the country every year. It's winning.

If Bama isn't a good example, then let's use Oregon. They have the best variety of unis in the nation. How come they rarely have a top 15 recruiting class? They're success has been due to a top 3 coach.

keeping up with the times means playing a song released before the players were born?

the AC-DC song was referring to the intro and is just my personal opinion.

the traditions and keeping up with the times was referring to the OP.

two different subjects.

Why isn't Bama the best example? They have dull ugly maroon unis that look like they're from the 50's. They have the top class in the country every year. It's winning.

If Bama isn't a good example, then let's use Oregon. They have the best variety of unis in the nation. How come they rarely have a top 15 recruiting class? They're success has been due to a top 3 coach.

Bama doesn't need to generate excitement for their program, we kinda do! JMO

the AC-DC song was referring to the intro and is just my personal opinion.

the traditions and keeping up with the times was referring to the OP.

two different subjects.

playing canned music while running onto the field is for ACC teams

Bama doesn't need to generate excitement for their program, we kinda do! JMO

they did in 2007 and still didn't change. If it's something the coach wants to do then that's fine but it's not a need or requirement to rebuilding

I can deal with most of that but you'll never convince me that 50yo men tweeting personal stuff to 16yo recruits isn't creepy.

and no one is seriously considering getting rid of Rocky Top. It was just a writer scraping the bottom for something to write

This x1000. Anyone who is old enough to be the parent of one if these recruits and is in regular contact with them on Twitter needs to take a long look in the mirror IMO.

playing canned music while running onto the field is for ACC teams

they did in 2007 and still didn't change. If it's something the coach wants to do then that's fine but it's not a need or requirement to rebuilding

I'm with you.

VN Store

Back