Oregon counties/Join Idaho vote

Disgruntled Oregonians in five counties vote in favor of joining Idaho. What’s next?

Voters in Sherman, Lake, Grant, Baker and Malheur counties all voted for ballot measures that would lead to them becoming Idahoans. People in Union and Jefferson counties had already voted in favor during the November election.

I don't see this ever happening because it would open the floodgates for other counties across the country to move states. No way the powers that be allow that.

Also I think this really highlights the political divide between rural and urban America across much of the country. The mindsets are diametrically opposed with no desire for reconciliation.

I've lived rural, and I've lived suburban. I believe there's a lot more in common between the two and plenty of room for understanding.

I believe the problem is that we've forgotten the need for compromise to meet in the middle. There is too much ego and too much headstrong me-ism on both sides, and it's getting worse.

I've lived rural, and I've lived suburban. I believe there's a lot more in common between the two and plenty of room for understanding.

I believe the problem is that we've forgotten the need for compromise to meet in the middle. There is too much ego and too much headstrong me-ism on both sides, and it's getting worse.

The problem is the urban dwellers don't want to compromise. And by compromise I mean leave the rural areas alone.

Hogg gave my answer. I live in the burbs but spend a good amount of time in both worlds. Rural people think urban people are idiots. Which is nothing new. But they just want to be largely left alone from my experience.

Hogg gave my answer. I live in the burbs but spend a good amount of time in both worlds. Rural people think urban people are idiots. Which is nothing new. But they just want to be largely left alone from my experience.
Well duh, because they are. Urban people are idiots coming from an suburban person. I'm an inbetweener so I've dealt with both sides and give me a rural person any day over some self entitled BMW driver.

Well duh, because they are. Urban people are idiots coming from an suburban person. I'm an inbetweener so I've dealt with both sides and give me a rural person any day over some self entitled BMW driver.

Put this day down in history, when I actually wholeheartedly agree with you.

I hate that I lost my job but I'm looking forward to getting out of Cleveland. The urbanites are a whole different ballgame with more good ol boy networks than I ever dealt with in Dunlap or Knoxville.

Oh, the issues of states rights and the idea of the Commonwealth. May as well just be 350m+ little countries if this is the case.

What I'm getting at is states like NY and IL, they have 1 big metropolis that controls the entire state and laws passed at the state level are tailored to those metropolises.

Yeah you don't see the rural people bothering the urban dwellers.

Nope. They think they are idiots but they just want to be left alone largely. I think it has a lot to do with the economics dynamics. The economic dynamics are different too. Incorporated areas tend to already come with higher tax burdens it’s part of the package. Rural people don’t understand why they have to levy more I believe they’ve moved to an area with generally lower taxation for a reason.

Actually, you do. Votes for narrowly defined "family values" and religious adjacent laws tend to be found in states with a higher percentage of rural voters.

Hell, if you read this board, you see that many of the posters who staunchly advocate for their de facto separation and self-sovereignty also strongly promote laws and practices that adversely affect urban dwellers in greater percentages.

It's interesting how do many who want to govern themselves in all situations are adamantly (and sometimes rudely) vocal about the need for government entities to control others.

Actually, you do. Votes for narrowly defined "family values" and religious adjacent laws tend to be found in states with a higher percentage of rural voters.

Hell, if you read this board, you see that many of the posters who staunchly advocate for their de facto separation and self-sovereignty also strongly promote laws and practices that adversely affect urban dwellers in greater percentages.

It's interesting how do many who want to govern themselves in all situations are adamantly (and sometimes rudely) vocal about the need for government entities to control others.
Now extrapolate that to government support programs which favor urban areas just due to sheer population when they already levy higher taxes for their required infrastructure.

And if the Feds would butt out on beliefs legislation as well as federal support programs and let the states handle it in their own this would settle itself out. People would live where their beliefs and taxation fits their needs.

VN Store

Back