Oregon counties/Join Idaho vote

One important thing to remember if you look at Idaho for retirement is that if you move to the southern part of the state, Boise etc. you will be living in a Mormon community. Outsiders don't always do well in Mormon communities. It's pretty much impossible to develop a good community of friends, you will always be an outsider.

Decades ago a history prof of mine said Idaho is the only state in the union with two capitals, Spokane WA and Salt Lake City UT. And he was right. Of course in today's world Boise has become a nice city, good place to "visit".
I have an ex-wife there. It is not a good place to visit on a personal level.

What's the problem with counties voting to leave a particular state?

But yeah I understand the problem and I also understand the root cause of why this is a topic and that is too much centralized power both at the state and federal level. Not to mention the fact that you wouldn't give two ***** about this if it didn'ty possibly effect the amount of electors a solidly Dem state would have. If this were the counties in NW ID wanting to be annexed into WA or OR I'm confident you would be 100% supportive.

No I would not be supportive even if it was favorable to Dems.

You want counties to be able to vote to join another state. What happens if a county completely landlocked within a state elects to join another state with which it has no border? Can it be any state? Can Nashville say i wants to be part of Virginia? If your answer is no then you're being situational in your claim to rights.

You don't think it through, you just like to imply Repubs would favor it and Dems wouldn't. I doubt you would find any Repubs in Tennessee in favor of letting Chattanooga join Georgia, probably even you.

If we accept the fable of how West Virginia was established, that is western counties far from Richmond with a different economic base and values than the eastern part of the state seceding to form their own state for better self government, what's wrong with that?

I believe the formation of West Virginia was completely illegal but somehow was accepted anyway. Beyond that, I'm quite sure Virginia is glad that it happened: Other side of the mountains and the poorest state in America, I believe.

Can you define gerrymandering?

Gerrymandering is essentially redistricting--creating newly defined congressional districts--for political gain. Political gain
meaning to gain another congressional seat for your party at the expense of the other party.

Someone above asserted that gerrymandering has been outlawed. Yes and no. The Supreme Court
has outlawed racial and partisan redistricting--but state redistricting takes place regularly--I think it may even be required
based on population changes every 10 years--and redistricting plans are regularly challenged with lawsuits that claim they are partisan.
The cases often make their way to state supreme courts, which can also be problematic. So, in practice, the Supreme Court rulings have done
little to stop attempts to gerrymander, by both parties.

From the Brennan Center:

"As of June 9, 2023, a total of 74 cases have been filed challenging congressional and legislative maps in 27 states as racially discriminatory and/or partisan gerrymanders, of which 45 remain pending at either the trial or appellate levels.

To date, litigation has resulted in redrawn legislative and/or congressional maps in Alaska, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, and South Carolina, though the North Carolina Supreme Court has since vacated its anti-partisan gerrymandering rulings and both the legislative and congressional maps there are expected to be redrawn to recreate gerrymanders.

In addition, federal courts also ordered a redraw of congressional maps in Alabama and Louisiana, but the Supreme Court has stayed those judgements pending ongoing appeals. The Court subsequently affirmed the trial court’s preliminary blocking Alabama’s new congressional map. A federal court has also ordered South Carolina to redraw its congressional map with a new map due 30 days after the Supreme Court adjudicates an ongoing appeal of the case."

I believe the formation of West Virginia was completely illegal but somehow was accepted anyway. Beyond that, I'm quite sure Virginia is glad that it happened: Other side of the mountains and the poorest state in America, I believe.
It's mainly suburban pinheads in NoVa and Tidewater, who are predominately descended from carpetbaggers, that are glad it happened. Most Virginians aren't.
I'm not sure if you're able to read a map, but a lot of Virginia is farther west than anywhere in WBG.

VN Store

Back