Oregon Governor signs new law allowing students to graduate without proving they can read, write, or do math at a HS level

When I was in school we didn’t have standardized testing outside of the SAT/ACT but we also had a 6 point grade scale and teachers were allowed to fail kids that didn’t make the grade. If they let the teachers teach and hold the kids to high standards they can trash the standardized tests.

Sure it is. Keep thinking that. You see what state this is happening in right? So I guess all this time minorities have had such a hard time graduation because the standards are too high huh? Please. Just stop with your faux down the middle rhetoric. It’s old. This bill is ridiculous on so many levels and it’s yet another liberal insult to minorities.

I'll stop being a centrist when you stop being addicted to binary thought.

I'll also gladly talk about education policy and practice with you when I have a reasonable expectation of being heard.

When I was in school we didn’t have standardized testing outside of the SAT/ACT but we also had a 6 point grade scale and teachers were allowed to fail kids that didn’t make the grade. If they let the teachers teach and hold the kids to high standards they can trash the standardized tests.

Or they could do all of the above.

It's not the teachers coming up with these crackpot ideas. It's these education "gurus" who went to the Broad Leadership Academy right after finishing their MBA and who ascended to principal-hood after only a year or two in the classroom. It's lifetime academians who got an Education PhD but haven't been in a K-12 classroom since graduating from high school.

You will find that most of the problems come from two places when there's a bad school or system:
  1. The leadership hasn't earned their position by coming up through the ranks but by playing politics and having the right "credentials"
  2. Too much of the community doesn't care about the school, just that it's open so they have a place to send their kids while at work. And don't you dare expect me to come to open house or parent teacher conference.

No, let‘s let the teachers have a freer hand and get rid of the STs. How about we start grading teachers on how many of their students are accepted into college/trade school or have jobs at graduation.

A standardized test should have no bearing on anything they do assuming they’re teaching from the supplied books that the test is based on. What’s your replacement for the ASVAB, SAT, ACT, college placement tests, etc?

A standardized test should have no bearing on anything they do assuming they’re teaching from the supplied books that the test is based on. What’s your replacement for the ASVAB, SAT, ACT, college placement tests, etc?

I don’t have a problem with having to to take a test for college admission. I’m taliking about tests like TCAP, tests a kid has to pass to graduate. They incentivize teachers to teach to the yeast instead of educating the students.

Reactions: Wireless1 and AshG
No, let‘s let the teachers have a freer hand and get rid of the STs. How about we start grading teachers on how many of their students are accepted into college/trade school or have jobs at graduation.

Part of me likes this, part of me realizes that there are communities where it will backfire and run teachers off.

I have a friend who has now taught French at three different schools. Same book. Same curriculum.

School 1 was a high school in Blount County. She was a one year interim for a teacher who took a year for maternity leave. Her kids were incredible. Several of them room the voluntary National French Society (I think that's what it's called) and ended up ranking very high. The county wanted to find a way to keep her, but no positions opened up.

School 2 was Austin East. Same book, same curriculum. Most of the kids failed. Didn't turn in homework, didn't pass the tests. Only a couple kids volunteered for the national society competition, but they placed very well. Despite being from a teaching family and having a huge well of support to draw from, she was not successful by any stretch of the imagination. Had her car keys stolen twice. Was offered a second year but turned it down.

School 3 was a private school in Knoxville. Results tracked on par with her kids in Blount County, only she got to take them to Paris at the end of the year.

Was she a great teacher in year 1, regressed in year 2, and magically became great again in year 3 and beyond? Or was the environment in School 2 so negative that it cancelled out her positive traits and high quality?

This is an example of why I'm leery of most teacher evaluation metrics that don't judge performance over time. One year snapshots can really mess things up

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back