Oregon vs Virginia observations

Agree that we have to move the chains. Oregons longest drive of the year was a whopping 3:08. Moving the chains early and not turning the ball over will be key. If we can do that, we avoid being routed.
We also must score more points than Oregon. (Said in John Madden's voice.)

I always kinda liked Oregon and don't disrespect what they have done in recent years ... but neither do I disrespect our guys and how this Butch Jones team is not last year's team.
Let's line up and see who can and who can't.

Reactions: 1 person
Actually looks pretty good to me. They'll get to the hotel no later than 9pm, which is midnight their time. They won't need to get up too early since kick off isn't until 2:30, so if the coaches let them sleep in until 8am, that is 11am Knoxville time. What college kid doesn't like to go to sleep around midnight and wake up at 11?

Time travel. Mind == blown.

Damn, what a thread! Great read and thanks Oregon fans for your input. Good conversation all around.

Hey if you're going to call out Duck fans for doing the same thing Vol fans do (and you likely ignore), then expect to be called out yourself.

Lol. Where are the posts? Weve got lots of our fans calling for Oregon to stomp us. Give me the posts and ill retract my statement.

From my perspective, it's game week and fans get a little bit more on edge.

First, I stated that I disagreed completely the post quote I referenced and I think I provided enough stats to at least consider that my opinion might be right.

It is what it is, just like to share with and learn from the fans here.

Tenn has great fans and I've been on here a while. I have a lot of respect for UT, UT fans and the UT board.

Im alright with you GoDucks. You have been an excellent poster.

Stay in the lanes and stuff them within the box is the key. Their guys get in the open field and they start running downhill real quick. Even if you are giving up 6-7 yard plays that's a win because without big plays they may get frustrated. They are a great team but I don't ever put an L on the vols schedule until the last tick of the 4th.

No harm no foul to the Duck fans. With the exception of PortlandDuck most of you guys are a class act. I like Oregon, I remember watching you guys rise from the ashes back in the day when you had the diamond metal pattern shoulder pad unis. Like I said, I like Oregon just not when the orange T is lined up across from them.

Things get a little heated this week because we are both passionate about our respective teams. Come back Sunday morning and we will both make fun of USC :).

Lol. Where are the posts? Weve got lots of our fans calling for Oregon to stomp us. Give me the posts and ill retract my statement.

Seriously, you need me to point out the posts on here where our own fans don't give credit to other teams when we lose and blame other things? For crying out loud we have posts saying Oregon had done nothing to impress them.

Good observations. The "edges" of the defense will be key to maintain against the ducks. The D will have to get pressure rushing four and maintain their lanes. We need to dominate on the ground both stuffing them and running big on them to have a chance. Limit the big play on defense, make Oregon work for their points. Keep the game close...

If those things happen and it's close in the 4th I'm confident that we can squeeze out a win. But if we get down early it won't happen.

Seriously, you need me to point out the posts on here where our own fans don't give credit to other teams when we lose and blame other things? For crying out loud we have posts saying Oregon had done nothing to impress them.

Yes. I want you to post the comments. If not, then your statement is invalid. I see alot of our fans calling for Oregon to kick our a** and to hope like hell we keep it respectable by keeping it within a couple of touchdowns.

Yes. I want you to post the comments. If not, then your statement is invalid. I see alot of our fans calling for Oregon to kick our a** and to hope like hell we keep it respectable by keeping it within a couple of touchdowns.

But strangely you don't see the posts from Vol saying Oregon doesn't impress them? And you've missed the extremely numerous posts over the years where Vol fans don't give credit to teams that beat us but make excuses? Like the ones that claim a thunderstorm is why we lost to Oregon in 2010?

Come on man....

But strangely you don't see the posts from Vol saying Oregon doesn't impress them? And you've missed the extremely numerous posts over the years where Vol fans don't give credit to teams that beat us but make excuses? Like the ones that claim a thunderstorm is why we lost to Oregon in 2010?

Come on man....

Ive seen comments saying Oregon isn't unbeatable and i agree. I think we've got the defense to upset Oregon, especially with Jac and Curt being back in the lineup. Ive also seen posts where a HC that wouldn't know his head from his a** (Doofus) takes alot of blame, and you and i both know, he was a big reason for our failure. Not once have i seen a single players performance, which was what i was talking about, got taken away.

Ive seen comments saying Oregon isn't unbeatable and i agree. I think we've got the defense to upset Oregon, especially with Jac and Curt being back in the lineup. Ive also seen posts where a HC that wouldn't know his head from his a** (Doofus) takes alot of blame, and you and i both know, he was a big reason for our failure. Not once have i seen a single players performance, which was what i was talking about, got taken away.

Then you either haven't noticed it or you choose to ignore it; over the years plenty of single players' performances have been taken away from by Vol fans on here.

I believe that CBJ held Maggitt out for the simple fact of not having film on him, Oregon is going to match up AJ on drag route of speedy receivers that's a given. But what O hasn't seen is the speedy Maggitt on film

Coaches don't hold out a healthy, contributing player to "hide him". He isn't a secret weapon. Wow....:lol:

Last edited:
Since I may be one of the few vol fans that actually chose to watch the ducks play over USCjr and Georgia, I'll put my two cents in on some observations of mine.

1. Don't look at the points they score and think that Oregon physically dominates their opponents like bama, LSU, Georgia, etc. They are an offense COMPLETELY reliant on the big play. The big plays come by the defense being completely out of position and Oregon's speed making them pay. Good gap control will stop the big plays (see Stanford last year where they scored 14 and lost).

2. They suck between the tackles. Anything they get between the tackles is a result of linebackers over compensating and trying to get outside to stop Thomas. Thomas himself can't run between the tackles. He tried a few times against Virginia, once even running into his own blocker and getting blasted. If our corners can funnel Thomas back inside to our linebackers, he won't get outside, and won't hurt you.

3. Down and distance are huge. If you put Oregon in 3rd and long, it makes Mariota a pocket passer, which he is not good at. Guard against the screen, which they like to run on 3rd and long, and you can get them off of the field.

Having said all of this, Oregon is #2 for a reason. They make playing disciplined defense a priority. You don't have to have elite speed to stop them. You have to have a smart defense with good gap control. Virginia was completely out of position several times Saturday, which led to the highlight reel and the lopsided score. Our defense has done a good job of maintaining gap control through the first 2 games. If we have the discipline to do it in Eugene, a lot of people will be shocked at how unimpressive Oregon's offense can look.
36 likes, I said the same thing and got 2 likes.....wow

The ducks didn't look impressive running up the middle last week, but they don't always need to do that to win games. The coaches decided to run to the outside and throw more screens and bubbles to create space. Once that starts working, the running game opens up in the second half. To beat Oregon a team really needs to stop the plays to the outside.

I believe that CBJ held Maggitt out for the simple fact of not having film on him, Oregon is going to match up AJ on drag route of speedy receivers that's a given. But what O hasn't seen is the speedy Maggitt on film

Coaches don't hold out a healthy, contributing player to "hide him". He isn't a secret weapon. Wow....:lol:

I agree. If anything, they would've wanted to get Maggitt reps so he could get back in football shape before Oregon.

The ducks didn't look impressive running up the middle last week, but they don't always need to do that to win games. The coaches decided to run to the outside and throw more screens and bubbles to create space. Once that starts working, the running game opens up in the second half. To beat Oregon a team really needs to stop the plays to the outside.

I think they tried with DAT up the middle too often.
Byron should be doing that. I know DAT wants to prove it but no good comes from him getting hurt and coughing up the ball. He needs to accept his strengths.

Since I may be one of the few vol fans that actually chose to watch the ducks play over USCjr and Georgia, I'll put my two cents in on some observations of mine.

1. Don't look at the points they score and think that Oregon physically dominates their opponents like bama, LSU, Georgia, etc. They are an offense COMPLETELY reliant on the big play. The big plays come by the defense being completely out of position and Oregon's speed making them pay. Good gap control will stop the big plays (see Stanford last year where they scored 14 and lost).

2. They suck between the tackles. Anything they get between the tackles is a result of linebackers over compensating and trying to get outside to stop Thomas. Thomas himself can't run between the tackles. He tried a few times against Virginia, once even running into his own blocker and getting blasted. If our corners can funnel Thomas back inside to our linebackers, he won't get outside, and won't hurt you.

3. Down and distance are huge. If you put Oregon in 3rd and long, it makes Mariota a pocket passer, which he is not good at. Guard against the screen, which they like to run on 3rd and long, and you can get them off of the field.

Having said all of this, Oregon is #2 for a reason. They make playing disciplined defense a priority. You don't have to have elite speed to stop them. You have to have a smart defense with good gap control. Virginia was completely out of position several times Saturday, which led to the highlight reel and the lopsided score. Our defense has done a good job of maintaining gap control through the first 2 games. If we have the discipline to do it in Eugene, a lot of people will be shocked at how unimpressive Oregon's offense can look.

I can agree with parts of this post, but there are some misconceptions here:
They are an offense COMPLETELY reliant on the big play.
This is not quite correct. Oregon runs near 65% of the time, and the majority of the passes are between 5-7 yards. Maybe this statement is just worded incorrectly? Big plays develop from average, ordinary, plays. Oregon's ability to create big plays from small plays turns into quick scores, but to think we are running halfback passes, reverses, and bombs to get all these scores isn't the case.

2. They suck between the tackles.
Unlike the SEC, we do not rely on "smash mouth" football, but to say we suck isn't quite accurate. If your referring to last weeks game, I'm as mystified as any Duck fan why we were using DAT between the tackles. But I must point out, on average we have good success between the tackles. See any game with (LaMichael) James or Barner. It's really feast or famine. We either get dropped for a loss, or get through the line so quickly it turns into a 20 yard gain. Expect to see Marshall and possibly Tyner this week.

If you put Oregon in 3rd and long, it makes Mariota a pocket passer, which he is not good at.
That's what Cal thought. Final stats for Mariota: 27/34 377yds 6touchdowns. He IS off to a somewhat shaky start this year passing, but really, who isn't? (Disclaimer: who isn't that is playing at least decent competition. There are certain quarterbacks whom I won't name that are getting gaudy stats against second rate teams, I barely count that).

The truth is, disciplined linebacker play and outstanding defensive lineman have given Oregon fits. See Auburn, LSU, and Stanford last season. But keep in mind, teams also have problems doing it twice against Oregon. We have beat Stanford 9 of the last 11 times. So its not a guarantee either.

Lots of great posts here and Duck fans are well represented. Its going to be a great game and I haven't seen such excited fans as UT fans are here. Its good to see since that POS Kiffin screwed your program over. What a tool....................

VN Store

Back