Oregon vs Virginia observations

I realize that AJ Johnson is the team's top returning tackler. However, would it be crazy to suggest that against UO, Butch utilizes Maggitt or Brewer at MLB to help cover Oregon's backs and TE's on passing plays? The Ducks don't seem to have a power inside running game (the one which AJ would be better suited towards). Tennessee needs to maximize its team speed at the second level.

Maybe not but you really need someone at LB to stop up the middle too. If he shuts down the lanes tackle to tackle then it will help the outside tremendously.

IIRC, they did have several D formations this past Saturday with AJ not in it. Brewer, Sapp, and Maggitt all bring more speed.

Swafford looked pretty quick at the Nickle. Didn't see that coming.

Subbing and getting into a called defensive mode will also be a key.....we can't go to sleep on these guys......reverse this analysis.....what can we do offensively that will give them problems...do we try to run it down their throats....with a mix of screens...I don't see misdirection as a total option but see it thrown in the mix....

3. Down and distance are huge. If you put Oregon in 3rd and long, it makes Mariota a pocket passer, which he is not good at. Guard against the screen, which they like to run on 3rd and long, and you can get them off of the field.

This simply isn't true. Oregon doesn't become a passing team all the time on third and long. The Ducks always have "4" downs to get a first and ten. A team should never think Oregon is throwing on third and long.

Plus, basing analysis on the Virginia game is a mistake. Oregon had a horrible day throwing the ball Lyerla alone dropped 4 very catchable balls.

The offense wasn't sharp in that game. Clearly, they've got lots of work to do.

I hate this thread!
I had convinced myself that I was the only one who though win could thus I must be wrong. Now I`m really pumped up and can`t wait till Saturday.

This simply isn't true. Oregon doesn't become a passing team all the time on third and long. The Ducks always have "4" downs to get a first and ten. A team should never think Oregon is throwing on third and long.

Plus, basing analysis on the Virginia game is a mistake. Oregon had a horrible day throwing the ball Lyerla alone dropped 4 very catchable balls.

The offense wasn't sharp in that game. Clearly, they've got lots of work to do.

Yeah the mighty quackheads neeeeever punt. They always get first downs.

I heard their flight leaves around 5 on Friday eastern time, which concerns me. They would arrive later that night, maybe 7,8 or so Oregon time? Then will be up early for an early kickoff. I think getting there Thursday would be better but I know nothing about that stuff. JMO

That early kickoff you speak of is equivalent to a 330 eastern time start. Not really an early kickoff to prepare for. It's not at elevation, the weather will be cooler than here and it's a mid-afternoon game. I think we can chalk those excuses off of our list.

Yeah the mighty quackheads neeeeever punt. They always get first downs.

Not saying all Duck fans are a**holes, but this thread is an example of seeing how they're not used to winning for a long period of time like the Vols are. They try to make their team look perfect and use alot of excuses if a few things don't go right, no credit to the other team at all if the opposing defense or offense makes a play.

I think you guys took GoDucks349's reply the wrong way, he wasn't bragging just stating a fact.
If we have a 3rd and long anywhere near midfield it's a 2 down situation.
Not all of us are comfortable with it, I personally think it's a bit reckless but it is what we do, for better or worse.

Reactions: 1 person
Not saying all Duck fans are a**holes, but this thread is an example of seeing how they're not used to winning for a long period of time like the Vols are. They try to make their team look perfect and use alot of excuses if a few things don't go right, no credit to the other team at all if the opposing defense or offense makes a play.

Vol fans around here do this all the time.

I agree with the post. I drove 6 hours to see the game in person this past week end. It was surprising to me to see the ducks are not that physical. I don't know if I'm just use the physical style of the sec, but if we stay disciplined on D and be physical we will WIN.

Since I may be one of the few vol fans that actually chose to watch the ducks play over USCjr and Georgia, I'll put my two cents in on some observations of mine.

1. Don't look at the points they score and think that Oregon physically dominates their opponents like bama, LSU, Georgia, etc. They are an offense COMPLETELY reliant on the big play. The big plays come by the defense being completely out of position and Oregon's speed making them pay. Good gap control will stop the big plays (see Stanford last year where they scored 14 and lost).

2. They suck between the tackles. Anything they get between the tackles is a result of linebackers over compensating and trying to get outside to stop Thomas. Thomas himself can't run between the tackles. He tried a few times against Virginia, once even running into his own blocker and getting blasted. If our corners can funnel Thomas back inside to our linebackers, he won't get outside, and won't hurt you.

3. Down and distance are huge. If you put Oregon in 3rd and long, it makes Mariota a pocket passer, which he is not good at. Guard against the screen, which they like to run on 3rd and long, and you can get them off of the field.

Having said all of this, Oregon is #2 for a reason. They make playing disciplined defense a priority. You don't have to have elite speed to stop them. You have to have a smart defense with good gap control. Virginia was completely out of position several times Saturday, which led to the highlight reel and the lopsided score. Our defense has done a good job of maintaining gap control through the first 2 games. If we have the discipline to do it in Eugene, a lot of people will be shocked at how unimpressive Oregon's offense can look.

My man you sound like a coach. This analysis is simply too good to have come from the posters on here. Excellent. I agree with you on every point. We will either surprise or get exposed. CBJ and staff last week made outstanding adjustments at halftime. If we can keep it close at the half, then I believe we have a chance.

I just got back from Oregon and believe me, most Duck fans are very respectful of TN. They know we have been down for a few years and understand this is not the TN of past years. They are NOT taking this game lightly. They told me even though TN is not as strong it will still be one of the toughest games all year.

Three complete pages and it was ALL what being a Vol fan is about. There have been no overblown expectations, but a rational discussion about strengths, weaknesses and what Tn. needs to do to beat the ducks (no grammar police....I mean to not capitalize the names of the opposition). What there has NOT been is that butt kissing, defeatist attitude that permeates most threads about the upcoming game. I am stopping here at the end of page three and dozing off thinking that it truly is great to be a Tennessee Vol. Thank you O.P. and every single poster until here (and, hopefully, until the very end). GO BIG ORANGE!! SCRATCH THAT ITCH, SHED THAT YOKE......GETCHA SOME DUCK!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Three complete pages and it was ALL what being a Vol fan is about. There have been no overblown expectations, but a rational discussion about strengths, weaknesses and what Tn. needs to do to beat the ducks (no grammar police....I mean to not capitalize the names of the opposition). What there has NOT been is that butt kissing, defeatist attitude that permeates most threads about the upcoming game. I am stopping here at the end of page three and dozing off thinking that it truly is great to be a Tennessee Vol. Thank you O.P. and every single poster until here (and, hopefully, until the very end). GO BIG ORANGE!! SCRATCH THAT ITCH, SHED THAT YOKE......GETCHA SOME DUCK!!!

My thoughts exactly! :thumbsup:

Reactions: 2 people
Vols033, great break down of UO's offense and what UT needs to defensively. Can you give a similar analysis of UT"s offense vs UO's defense?

The analysis of the defensive strategies needed are interesting but I wonder how effective UT will be at making their adjustments when UO is running their fast paced offense. That is where the Ducks get teams out of position and then use their speed to make you pay.

Does butch keep the "fast and furious" approach this weekend? or do you guys think he'll try to slow the game down?

I think you guys took GoDucks349's reply the wrong way, he wasn't bragging just stating a fact.
If we have a 3rd and long anywhere near midfield it's a 2 down situation.
Not all of us are comfortable with it, I personally think it's a bit reckless but it is what we do, for better or worse.

From my perspective, it's game week and fans get a little bit more on edge.

First, I stated that I disagreed completely the post quote I referenced and I think I provided enough stats to at least consider that my opinion might be right.

It is what it is, just like to share with and learn from the fans here.

Tenn has great fans and I've been on here a while. I have a lot of respect for UT, UT fans and the UT board.

Reactions: 3 people
I think he believes in his system and makes adjustments as needed.

Do you want to be in a hurry up when your defense is sucking wind? On the flip side, it would be nice to see the Oregon defense to be gassed along with us. However, if we aren't getting first downs we could get run out of the building. Fast.

In Butch I trust. I think this game will be closer than what majority of our "fans" think as long as we can either A) force some turnovers B) rush for 200 yrds. Which are two very possible scenarios.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you want to be in a hurry up when your defense is sucking wind? On the flip side, it would be nice to see the Oregon defense to be gassed along with us. However, if we aren't getting first downs we could get run out of the building. Fast.

Agree that we have to move the chains. Oregons longest drive of the year was a whopping 3:08. Moving the chains early and not turning the ball over will be key. If we can do that, we avoid being routed.

VN Store

Back