Oregon vs Virginia observations

UT has been BAD at defending the edge and defending in space, which is why Thomas will probably break at least two in this game. We play teams with playmakers and yet we have none. That's why I can't be optimistic about this game.

And i have visuals that say that mariota is not a good passing quarterback outside of misdirection passes and screens. Tebow was a 70% qb at Florida, but matt Simms has proved to be the better true qb of the two.

Reactions: 1 person
UT has been BAD at defending the edge and defending in space, which is why Thomas will probably break at least two in this game. We play teams with playmakers and yet we have none. That's why I can't be optimistic about this game.

When have they been bad on the edge this year?

They are an offense COMPLETELY reliant on the big play. The big plays come by the defense being completely out of position and Oregon's speed making them pay.

This is what excites/scares me about this game.

If BJ can get these boys to play disciplined football, I think we have a chance to keep it under control. If the guys start losing focus, it could get ugly fast.

Agreed. I watched big chunks of it too and had many of the same observations. But prepare to be blasted because many here have already decided that any discussion of anything that does not begin, end, and consist of "we're going to be destroyed by Oregon" is offensive to their great "football intelligence".

UT has speed at OLB which should help if they'll play disciplined. Trust Jones with that one. As a group, Sapp, Brewer, and Maggitt will be among the fastest OLB's Oregon has seen.

IMO, the biggest thing is to flatten them out. Stretch plays out and let the pursuit catch up. They hit those big plays when they find lanes and cut up into them quickly. The DL has to dominate and force everything to go lateral. They have to keep back side contain when that happens and pursue to the ball under control.

It is almost like a kick return defense mentality. Don't give up your lane then go make the tackle.

The most impressive thing about Oregon's attack to me is their downfield blocking. Their WR's are great blockers. DB's have to get off blocks. LB's cannot be blocked by WR's.

Agree with you here. Would add the Ducks live off trying to get their skill guys in space against LB's. Lots of short throws to backs and slot receivers at or behind LOS. Its all about making tackles in space and maintaining contain and your gap. Sounds simple until you are in space with the Black Mamba:loco:

I want to say if we get Maggit and Smith back and healthy and our young DB's make another step forward the Vols could keep them in the 30's. If so might have a real chance. I can't see Vols scoring more than 35 tops so 40+ by the Ducks and they win.

I could not disagree more. Give OR a taste of their own medicine; dictate to the other team, do not change what you do in fear to their game plan. Impose your will & play to your strengths.

Butch wants Vols to get a play off every 15 seconds & are in first year of implementing that style of play. Ducks are even quicker to the line & have been doing it for a decade.

Do not expect ABC to have time for many replays this Sat. afternoon.

I agree about 'dictating to the other team...', but when you're in an up-tempo system and unable to sustain drives and keep the clock moving, or score on a big play, it can get ugly...especially when the other team is scoring in a hurry. That being said, I don't expect Butch & Co. to slow it down.

The key to slowing Oregon's offense has ALWAYS been in the play of the D line. If the D line can hold their own and disrupt plays IN the backfield, then the LBs and secondary can play a little more outside to take away outside zones, speed options, bubble screens, sweeps, etc. while the line takes away inside zones and dive plays. If you can stop the run off of that alone, the setup pass plays aren't as effective because the D doesn't have to bite on it. This is how Stanford last year and Auburn in 10 handled their O. The biggest thing to see will be how our D line plays. If they get into the backfield, we have a chance. If not, we're in for a LOOOONG day. McCullers & Hood vs Hroniss Grasu will be the matchup to watch. Time to earn your money, Coach Strip! GBO!

Agree with all of that. I saw a good bit of that game and was surprised they didn't throw it better.

I'd agree Oregon's offense didn't play all that well against Virginia. Lyerla dropped four passes!! That just doesn't happen.

Obviously, Oregon needs to be better in the passing game, the offensive line needs to step up, very weak performance vs Virginia and the team needs to avoid the stupid penalties.

Most definitely not a great performance by the Ducks last week.

compare him to Jeremiah Masoli in terms of passing ability then. Better or worse?

lol.

A THOUSAND MILLION times better.

Seriously.

Mariota WILL play QB in the NFL, and when he elects to leave, he'll be drafted within the first two rounds.

He's been rusty (by his lofty standards) for the first two games of this season. But he's the most talented QB we've had since Chip flew West - and I'm including Dennis Dixon. Comments in here suggesting that he can't execute as a pocket passer are ill-informed to say the least. I invite you to check out the following game where after Pendergrast's D basically bottled up our run, Mariota decided to totally destroy the bears through the air: #3 Oregon vs California 2012 - YouTube .

Masoli was a RB who could throw 15 yards.
Mariota is a QB who can outrun your secondary.

As fun as JM was to watch at times, his incapability of throwing an accurate pass downfield allowed boise and ohio st to load up the box and shut down our offense. That's less likely to happen with MM. jmo

The key to slowing Oregon's offense has ALWAYS been in the play of the D line. If the D line can hold their own and disrupt plays IN the backfield, then the LBs and secondary can play a little more outside to take away outside zones, speed options, bubble screens, sweeps, etc. while the line takes away inside zones and dive plays. If you can stop the run off of that alone, the setup pass plays aren't as effective because the D doesn't have to bite on it. This is how Stanford last year and Auburn in 10 handled their O. The biggest thing to see will be how our D line plays. If they get into the backfield, we have a chance. If not, we're in for a LOOOONG day. McCullers & Hood vs Hroniss Grasu will be the matchup to watch. Time to earn your money, Coach Strip! GBO!

+1.
As far as no one giving the Vols a chance of winning, we can look at the miracle in South Bend, the Miami bowl game etc. But I'm reminded of the 1982 game against Alabama in Neyland. Bama came in here ranked #2 and undefeated. Johnny Majors was still in the process of rebuilding the TN program. We got down early in the game, but the team remained focused and we sent the Bear & Bama home defeated. I think CBJ will keep this team focused no matter what happens early, good or bad. I'm not saying we're going to win, but I'm saying we have the coaching staff (finally) that can lead us to a win. The Vols will make us proud, win or lose.

Masoli was a RB who could throw 15 yards.
Mariota is a QB who can outrun your secondary.

As fun as JM was to watch at times, his incapability of throwing an accurate pass downfield allowed boise and ohio st to load up the box and shut down our offense. That's less likely to happen with MM. jmo

^^^^^

Also Mariota threw DARTS, but that's all he threw. He had no touch, and no ability to loft the ball. He also (previously mentioned) was short and that put him at a serious disadvantage for seeing the lanes.

We have had some trouble on the perimeter and winning the edge, hearkening back to last year. That allowed WKU to break some pretty big plays last saturday. Those isolated big plays turn into touchdowns against a team like Oregon. We have to win the edge if we are going to have a chance.

And this is precisely why, if you're Tennessee, you MUST play ball control even though it runs counter to your entire offensive philosophy. You have to shorten the game to protect the D-Line. We have decent SEC talent in our line-up, but we do not have SEC depth anywhere on our defense. If our offense has a few 3 and outs in a row, we're in trouble.

If I'm Jones, I have a meeting with our O-Line and simply say, "You know we gotta run it. They know we gotta run it. Everyone one knows we gotta run it. The game is in your hands. It's nasty time."

Also, if we have ANY success running it, and they have to compensate to stop it, that plays into Worley's hand as a QB...short accurate dink and dunk throws to Howard and Downs behind the linebackers.

Last edited:
I believe that CBJ held Maggitt out for the simple fact of not having film on him, Oregon is going to match up AJ on drag route of speedy receivers that's a given. But what O hasn't seen is the speedy Maggitt on film yet this year...it will be a big difference when Maggitt is MLB and AJ has his hand in the dirt.

Why would AJ have his hands in the dirt? He's our mlb. Maggitt will start at one of the olb spots.

Why would AJ have his hands in the dirt? He's our mlb. Maggitt will start at one of the olb spots.

During spring practice, the coaches were talking about putting AJ in different scenarios, allowing him to put his hand in the dirt and rush the passer. I can't name a specific time or link, but I really remembering them saying that.

I posted this in another thread, but I really see Maggit and AJ playing defensive end a lot this week, while Sapp and Brewer play linebacker when we go Nickel. It just puts more speed on the field to counter Oregon, without losing much size or strength.

Thats just my opinion and I could be completely wrong.

Since we're discussing how to slow down the Oregon offense, here's a video of Stanford playing them last year. This is probably the best a defense has played against their current offense.

My observations:
1. Stanford ran a lot of three down linemen sets, rushing either three or four.
2. Despite not blitzing very often, Stanford controlled the line of scrimmage and disrupted things in the backfield.
3. For the most part Stanford did not miss any assignments, helping avoid big plays.
4. Stanford tackled great.

Nothing complicated or mind-blowing, a lot of which has already been stated in this thread, but if anyone wants a visual here it is.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Nz95JaNaI[/YOUTUBE]

Big Dan is going to be a big part of the game plan. We need constant penetration from him. Brent Brewer's speed and Maggit(I hope he plays) on the edge is going to be key. They need to keep contain AJ will have to lay the wood on Mariota and make him think twice about running that option.

We need all our players back on defense. Then our O-line needs to get nasty and control the line and run the ball. Run the ball control the clock and keep Oregon offense on sideline. We can't turn the ball over to them. You just never know we might pull the upset of the year. Go Vols.:pepper:

VN Store

Back