Overemployment of the Lazy

Reactions: Fun coupon VOL
Interesting views in relation to the work from home conversation.

A large-scale survey by Microsoft Corp. pub-lished this month re-vealed a wide gap be-tween employees’ assess-ments of their own re-mote productivity and managers’ perceptions of how much gets done away from the office. (Some 87% of the rank and file say they’re just as effective at home, but 80% of bosses disagree.) Microsoft Chief Execu-tive Satya Nadella scolded supervisors for “productivity paranoia” and assumptions that people aren’t working hard at home, but the study’s findings under-score why certain work-ers fear falling out of favor.

If Your Quiet Quitting Is Going Well, You Might Be Getting ‘Quiet Fired’

I'm sure this "quiet fired" theme warms your heart...

It does nothing for my heart. It is common sense. Whether the list is in your head or on a spreadsheet, it is obvious the people to let go first in hard times are the ones being the least productive.

Ties all in together with these comments.
I was lucky to have advancements and the corporation always said "our people are our greatest asset". Well now that corporation does most manufacturing overseas after closing several facilities.
When cheaper options arise..corporate America does not consider you their "greatest asset". Loyalty is a two way street

That's true but US labor has been missing the point that the real competition is Chinese or Mexican or Malaysian labor - not Joe down the street. Union labor was simply mob action that dragged other wages upwards - generally with government collusion via not applying antitrust legislation to unions and then by raising minimum wage. We've been living on borrowed time and the bill has come due. When cost (labor in this case) increases without an increase in productivity, it's simply inflationary, and inflation makes you uncompetitive and puts you out of business.

Friend of mine is a project manager that does time and attendance systems, almost all of the programmers/software engineers he uses are based in India or somewhere else overseas. He complains about the language barrier and other culture issues but said he can't find enough US based contractors and if he did the cost would be almost double.

That's the bind we've put ourselves in. Our minimum wage can easily be comparable to what a more qualified position is paid in another country. At the same time when someone is looking at the cost (dollars and effort) in a technical field and you look at the squeeze between what others in the US make vs the salary cap at which it's cheaper to use foreign engineers or other tech workers, then you really hit whether it's worth the effort to become an engineer or other what would normally be higher compensated technical position. In the 90s engineers were literally being pushed out the doors and replaced by outsourcing and with immigrant engineers on H-1B visas, and we weren't being paid salaries out of line with other positions. Other countries produce some fantastic STEM talent, and they love our going labor rates because we've inflated the cost of labor across the board.

Reactions: hog88
Self checkout, tablets, etc are replacing many service jobs. Places like grocery stores and self storage places can go completely unmanned. It's coming

Lots of articles around now about fraud at self checkout, and even prosecution of people who made an error at self checkout - like the pendulum may be swinging back or will become more costly to secure. Of course, with absurd minimum wage, maybe it's still worth it. I don't think things like self checkout are the end all be all you think.

Companies are way more efficient when employees can collaborate in person or walk down the hall and ask a quick question. I really don't understand the work from home crowd that thinks they are as efficient as in office employees.

Don't you think a lot of it starts with online education, too. You and I probably cannot imagine mastering math and engineering concepts remotely even though technology is part of our world. Of course, remote college for non technical fields (and administrator types) is a whole different ballgame - except networking for business types. It does put a dent in the concept that someone with a college degree has shown the discipline to get up, get dressed, and be somewhere on time.

Show me a study that says efficiency hasn't dropped. Also, if efficiency hasn't dropped, why has the supply chain continued to falter?

Have we not just shown how faulty "just in time" logistics logic was? Sure there are some overhead costs associated with it when things are working right, but they are nothing like the costs associated with not being able to produce when things go wrong.

Lots of articles around now about fraud at self checkout, and even prosecution of people who made an error at self checkout - like the pendulum may be swinging back or will become more costly to secure. Of course, with absurd minimum wage, maybe it's still worth it. I don't think things like self checkout are the end all be all you think.
PJ is forgetting a few things. Grocery stores cannot go completely unmanned. Some smaller grocery chains like many of the IGA grocery stores and ALDI do not have self checkout and are operating just fine. Plus it's hard to keep the product rotated and shelves stocked without human beings working those positions.

Self checkout was also initially designed as a way for people with smaller transactions to get in and out of the store earlier without waiting in line behind someone who has a shopping cart full of groceries. There is still a need and demand for someone to actually operate a cash register, put up with customers, and help finalize those transactions.

There's also more people getting their groceries delivered to them. Which has created more jobs as its not robots picking those orders and putting them together. Walmart for example has a whole crew who picks the items customers have ordered and puts them together for someone else to pick up and deliver them.

Reactions: AM64
PJ is forgetting a few things. Grocery stores cannot go completely unmanned. Some smaller grocery chains like many of the IGA grocery stores and ALDI do not have self checkout and are operating just fine. Plus it's hard to keep the product rotated and shelves stocked without human beings working those positions.

Self checkout was also initially designed as a way for people with smaller transactions to get in and out of the store earlier without waiting in line behind someone who has a shopping cart full of groceries. There is still a need and demand for someone to actually operate a cash register, put up with customers, and help finalize those transactions.

There's also more people getting their groceries delivered to them. Which has created more jobs as its not robots picking those orders and putting them together. Walmart for example has a whole crew who picks the items customers have ordered and puts them together for someone else to pick up and deliver them.
I'm not forgetting anything you're simply talking about things you don't understand. Unmanned didn't mean no one works there since that would be stupid. It means a limited workforce with less/no skilled labor. Aldi does it to an extent but there are other countries trying out stores with no workers during shopping hours. Walmart is removing manned lines for increased self checkout. I'm not sure there are any left in the one near me. They know the need is no longer there and a couple of people can manage a while lot of checkout stations.

As for groceries, you need to check out what Kroger is doing with their delivery service. They operate in places where there are no Kroger stores and are really investing in the automation and warehouse optimization. Feel free to read up and argue about that since I'm sure you're still the expert

I completely understand that mindset but on the other hand if someone is getting paid for 8 hours they should be devoting all of those hours to whoever is paying them.
I would agree there is a vast difference between “make me these widgets I don’t care how long it takes” and “cover these phones for 8 hours”. We have similar dynamics at work with hourly workers who think the flexibility provided to salary employees is unfair. No one wanted to trade jobs when I was working 60 hours for 40 hours pay but the turntables have turned and they want to get paid to answer phones without actually answering them.

VN Store

Back