Overemployment of the Lazy

Companies are way more efficient when employees can collaborate in person or walk down the hall and ask a quick question. I really don't understand the work from home crowd that thinks they are as efficient as in office employees.

The argument appears to be that they can accomplish the bare minimum from home.

Reactions: AM64
There's some of that no doubt but there is also a lot of dummies out there posting on social media showing themselves at the pool, on the lake/ beach ext when they should be working.
So? Again, if they are being productive, what is the problem?

I guess I shouldn't have sent my supervisor those picks of me on the beach in New England a month ago. I probably risked getting fired or reprimanded

Yes, people have been fired for screwing off when they are supposed to be working.

Now I'm talking about customer service/ call center roles related roles where they can actually track the time someone is on the phone, logged in, etc.
I have a close relative that was fired from an at home job about 10 years ago... pre-COVID. So if they had methods to monitor people back then, you know they can do it today.

I joked with her because she was worse than Ice Cube in Friday. He got fired on his day off and she didn't show up and got fired for an at-home job.

Reactions: AM64 and DonjoVol
If I walk down the hall I know I can get your attention, if I call you and you don't answer I might have to wait until you get done folding your laundry before I get my question answered.
I have far more experience with people at cubicles not answering and dodging calls. I have had to call people that I know that are a few rows down from them and had to ask them to walk over to cubicles to get them to answer. Plus, you have people that don't read or reply back to emails.

There is nothing special about employees working in a damn office that makes them more efficient.

So? Again, if they are being productive, what is the problem?

I guess I shouldn't have sent my supervisor those picks of me on the beach in New England a month ago. I probably risked getting fired or reprimanded

IF they are being productive, meeting their goals and deadlines is the key.

Stop being obtuse. If your employer DGAS then neither do I, that’s between you and them.

Reactions: allvol123
I have far more experience with people at cubicles not answering and dodging calls. I have had to call people that I know that are a few rows down from them and had to ask them to walk over to cubicles to get them to answer. Plus, you have people that don't read or reply back to emails.

There is nothing special about employees working in a damn office that makes them more efficient.

I didn’t say there was. But as I tell my employees, if it’s critical or time is of the essence don’t email get off your ass and walk to their office.

I really enjoyed your example on why the office isn’t necessary by using an experience where the problem was solved because people were on site. Bravo.

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
I didn’t say there was. But as I tell my employees, if it’s critical or time is of the essence don’t email get off your ass and walk to their office.
And all I'm saying is that you bird dogging over employees (not "you" necessarily, but speaking generally) is not going to squeeze more productivity out of employees.

If you cannot work from home and be productive....can children being schooled from home?

Reactions: AM64
Their doing less work in my opinion. It's a supply and demand with people right now and the demand is going to dry up and suddenly the work from home demanders are going to understand what it's really like to have to work for a living.

I’m trying to figure out how someone who works on a computer is going to be dependent on being in the office to do hard work for a living.

I’m not sure I’m falling what you are saying.

We’ve Quit the Pandemic only to Start a Pandemic of Quitting

Millions of Americans have quit their jobs over the past couple of years. Millions more have “quiet quit,” which is a new label given to the inertia of people collecting paychecks but doing the bare minimum or less at work .

We’ve quit the pandemic only to start a pandemic of quitting

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
We’ve Quit the Pandemic only to Start a Pandemic of Quitting

Millions of Americans have quit their jobs over the past couple of years. Millions more have “quiet quit,” which is a new label given to the inertia of people collecting paychecks but doing the bare minimum or less at work .

We’ve quit the pandemic only to start a pandemic of quitting

Profit sharing, invested stock options/bonus, profit sharing would go along way to combat this. It increases the skin in the game versus merely a paycheck.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol

If those people are that lazy and lack a sense of urgency in the office then just imagine how they will be working from home with all the extra distractions around them.

VN Store

Back