Patterson scored a 11 and Hunter a 12 on the Wonderlic Test

but will still make more than 99% of all college grads

I hate when people say this. They also will not be able to ever put together a 401K or mutual fund package that will help them when they are out of the league in 5 or 6 years!

Good lord people. Football life is short. You can spend 25 years of your life working for a company and then retire (maybe not so much anymore) but still that beats the NFL guys by at least 8-9 years. Ray Lewis played 17 seasons and that is considered a hell of a long time to be playing in the NFL especially at the LB position. Peyton is on his what 15th season?

Fortunately, there are some players that realize football isn't forever and make sound financial decisions, but for the majority of NFL players that get drafted they will either be cut within a couple of years being within the league or traded and receive a pay cut. Those that are fortunate enough to stay healthy and prove their worth will play on average for 10 seasons and usually not for the same team for all of those years.

I understand that there are pensions set up for these guys nowadays but still you have to play in the league for at least 4 years to qualify for that. There are many who get drafted and don't make it to the second or third year.

Sorry for the long reply, and I understand that CP and JH are no scrubs, but the whole they will make more than 99% of UT Grads? Such a cop out. Also feels like a cheap shot at UT and the education that the university provides, which I take offense to.

Played lacrosse at UT and if there were such a thing as a legit pro league for lacrosse (the MLL is a joke and more like an old man summer league) then you bet your ass I would have worked my ass off with the hopes of going pro, unfortunately that was not the case. You gotta realize how lucky these guys are and how fortunate they are to be blessed with the abilities they have.

Reactions: 1 person

Not really,

"Sports Illustrated estimated in 2009 that 78 percent of NFL players are bankrupt or facing serious financial stress within two years of ending their playing careers and that 60percent of NBA players are broke within five years of retiring from the game."

Reactions: 3 people

True but what will they have to show for it? Almost 80% of NFL athletes are flat broke/bankrupt within 2 years of ending their careers.

Take Vince Young for example. The guy scored a 6 on the test and a 14 on the re-test. Now he is flat broke. Read the following article and you will kind of understand how a low wonderlic score might equate a person to being as smart as a vegetable..

Vince Young spent $5k per week at Cheesecake Factory and other tales of how to go broke

#edit#
If you have a job you make more money than Vince Young, 2006 Rookie of the Year

Last edited:
Outside of the quarterback position I personally don't think the Wonderlic matters very much.

this. Just put the ball in his hands and watch him go....who gives a crap what CP scored on it. He will score more than that on the field, which is what teams will care about!

That's the problem. They're useless unless you get the ball in their hands. They have to be in the right place, at the right time, and understanding what to do when they get there and after they get the ball.

The complexities of NFL offenses make IQ more important these days-- not just for QBs. The amount of audibles at the line means that everybody needs to be on the same page at a moment's notice.

Each year, the game on offense is being called more at the line. In turn, defensive coordinators live and die on their ability to confuse passers and receivers.

The last-second adjustments have placed additional burden on wide receiver, a position that wasn't always associated with mental acuity.

"When you look at the skill positions, the receivers usually take the longest to acclimate," said Howie Roseman, general manager of the Philadelphia Eagles. "Because they're not seeing a lot of press coverage in college football. Then they've got to pick up offenses that sometimes are more complex than they're used to in college."

C.O. Brocato of the Tennessee Titans, the grand old man of NFL scouting, said IQ is a vital part of the wide-receiver equation.

"They say it's not but I think it is," Brocato said. "They say just put a guy out there with speed and let him go. Where is he going to go? If he can't learn, how is he going to play?"

Bob McGinn - Bob McGinn's draft series: Receivers, tight ends - Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson has plenty of talent and question marks

Reactions: 1 person
Big money getting thrown at young people with no personal financial understanding plus questionable personal lifestyles equals big trouble. Too many variables for them to handle, starting with selecting people they can trust to handle the things of which they clueless. Some cannot even trust their parents.

The results on the Wonderlic mean something to the pro teams or they would not have them take the test. Scores tell them to what extent they need to customize teaching the player how to play a position. Low - keep it simple. High - dial in the more complex concepts.

Not really,

"Sports Illustrated estimated in 2009 that 78 percent of NFL players are bankrupt or facing serious financial stress within two years of ending their playing careers and that 60percent of NBA players are broke within five years of retiring from the game."

being broke doesn't mean they never earned the money. Personally I'd rather have the money and the chance to retire after a decade than work hard for 40yrs to receive a gold watch.

IMO the issue is with the league/teams and not with the individual player

Reactions: 3 people

I'd be curious if that is true in aggregrate over their life and over the total number of NFL players. Football players have short careers on average and blow money in many cases. They may earn more but may not have as much net worth after 50-60 years old.

Well I've heard a lot of players don't take the test seriously especially non-qb's.

Not sure how we can say they don't belong in college when we aren't sure whats even on the test.

If I was one of these guys I'd take it serious just from a pride standpoint...

1. It's not a very difficult test... you can google it and get a sample test

2. With as much press that guys who do poorly get about it .... about being stupid and joked about.....I'd at least do some prep work to make sure I did pretty well.

But that's just me.

I'd be curious if that is true in aggregrate over their life and over the total number of NFL players. Football players have short careers on average and blow money in many cases. They may earn more but may not have as much net worth after 50-60 years old.

I highly doubt it in the long term. I've had an ex basketball (pro) player bag my office supplies at Staples...

You seen how most of these kids handle their money?? Change 50-60 to 5-6 IMHO.

Carl Pickens went from being a 1st round lock to being the last pick in the 2nd round because of the Wonderlic test. I remember it hurting Peerless some as well.

Mcshay was on Mike and Mike this morning. He said Patterson is one of the most electric players he has ever ever seen with the ball in his hands,which we all already know. But he went on to say that he thought CP might end up at running back in the league. Has anyone else heard this being a possibility?

His test results make some teams question his ability to learn offenses and to learn route running. He will still be a first round pick due to his athletic ability. Any team that drafts him will work on all the other stuff. However, I question if he'll see much action in his first season in the league except for possible kick-off and punt returns; also, the possibility of end around plays or running back plays.

VN Store

Back