People with higher socioeconomic status have lower emotional intelligence, especially at high levels of inequality

AshG

Easy target
People with higher socioeconomic status have lower emotional intelligence, especially at high levels of inequality

"The study authors point out that the small effects they found could end up having considerable consequences. For example, social issues like violence are more common in areas with greater inequality, and these issues seem to involve a lack of attending to others’ emotions and needs. “Perhaps one of the reasons that countries with lower inequality suffer less from these problems may be that their citizens are more attentive to the struggles of those around them,” the authors suggest.

Of note, four out of the five studies were conducted among residents of the United States, where inequality is particularly high. The findings may not translate to other countries where inequality is lower. For example, the only sample that failed to link high SES with low emotional intelligence was the Canadian sample, who also perceived less inequality compared to the Americans."

The researchers suggest that high SES and high subjective inequality promotes increased self-focus and less motivation to attend to others’ emotions.

Last edited:
thread title doesn't match the article description of the studies; nor does the "to summarize" assessment.

perceptions of existence of inequality isn't the same construct as not knowing why people are poor. if it were then the closing sentence of the article would suggest that Canadians are even worse at knowing why people are poor

"For example, the only sample that failed to link high SES with low emotional intelligence was the Canadian sample, who also perceived less inequality compared to the Americans."

"The study authors point out that the small effects they found could end up having considerable consequences. For example, social issues like violence are more common in areas with greater inequality, and these issues seem to involve a lack of attending to others’ emotions and needs. “Perhaps one of the reasons that countries with lower inequality suffer less from these problems may be that their citizens are more attentive to the struggles of those around them,” the authors suggest.

Of note, four out of the five studies were conducted among residents of the United States, where inequality is particularly high. The findings may not translate to other countries where inequality is lower. For example, the only sample that failed to link high SES with low emotional intelligence was the Canadian sample, who also perceived less inequality compared to the Americans."

To summarize, "Hello homeless person, I'm rich. You can be, too. Why don't you ask your parents for business startup money like I did mine? You'll have a home in no time!"
Do you know many rich people? Not saying that the people you are talking about do not exist. But surely these are not the majority of rich people you know.

To summarize, "Hello homeless person, I'm rich. You can be, too. Why don't you ask your parents for business startup money like I did mine? You'll have a home in no time!"

So you are saying my boss who opened his shop in 92 while working two jobs to finance the building didn't have to work for it? I bet he feels real dumb for not just getting his parents to start it up for him.

I not going to sit here and say that money don't negatively change some people, but you are painting a ugly picture if you think every person that has wealth only got it because of a silver spoon.

I f that is what the article is about, it is worthless and not worth my time to read.

Stick to teaching music.

You clearly have no idea what it is like getting a business of the ground for 99 percent of all business owners.

I'd say #1 would be your parents being poor. It's a hard cycle to break.
The question is why? Is it bad habits taught/poor role models or being stuck in an area with little opportunity, maybe just being complacent and accepting less of yourself?

There's always more to the story.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Rich people make wealth.
Poor people make babies.
There is nothing on earth more dangerous to a man's prosperity and happiness than a nesting female.

I have to disagree. Just in my experience I guess. I can't speak for anyone else. My dad had kidney failure soon after I was born and could not work anymore and was on dialysis until he died. My mom had dropped out of school in the 8th grade and cleaned schools for a living and we barely made it by. I make really good money now and my wife is a RT. I paid to have my mothers house fixed up while building my own. [Plus if you could see my bad habit you would know its not cheap @Orangeslice13 knows] I wouldn't say being poor makes it harder to make a good living vs someone with money IMO. That's all about the person doing it. Poor isn't something that's taught. Lazy is something that's easily taught and hard to overcome.

Can we define poor in the United States?

I’ve asked this question before, but never got an actual answer.

Lacking sufficient money to live at a standard considered comfortable or normal in a society. I would say 1920 & 30's poor looks a lot different then what people think 2018, 2019 poor looks like.

When I think poor I think of people having a hard time making it and just having enough to eat. Which is a pretty disingenuous way to look at it I guess. If your sleeping with a roof over you and have running water your not really "poor" maybe you have it really rough. I'm as guilty of over using the word at anyone. We didn't have much growing up, but I didn't starve so I had it better then some others.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Number one cause of being poor.

Lazy

Nope. Wrong answer.

Why Do Poor People Stay Poor? – Of Dollars And Data

"Their paper clearly illustrates that many poor people stay poor not because of their talent/motivation, but because they are in low-paying jobs that they must work to survive.

They are, in essence, in a poverty trap. This is a poverty trap where their lack of money prevents them from ever getting training/capital to work in higher paying jobs. "

Why the Rich Stay Rich and the Poor Stay Poor

"The study's takeaway, according to Chetty and Hendren, is the environment one is raised in determines his or her economic mobility.

A similar analysis by John Hopkins University focused solely on Baltimore. Tracking about 800 students from the first grade through their late-20s, the study found that only 4 percent of children from low-income families achieved a college education, compared to 45 percent of children from higher-income families. Cultural environment and surroundings undoubtedly impact the eventual success of a child, as they determine available opportunities and govern how a child will perceive their social standing."

Why do we think poor people are poor because of their own bad choices? | U-M LSA Department of Psychology

"It all starts with the psychology concept known as the “fundamental attribution error”. This is a natural tendency to see the behavior of others as being determined by their character – while excusing our own behavior based on circumstances.

For example, if an unexpected medical emergency bankrupts you, you view yourself as a victim of bad fortune – while seeing other bankruptcy court clients as spendthrifts who carelessly had too many lattes. Or, if you’re unemployed, you recognize the hard effort you put into seeking work – but view others in the same situation as useless slackers. Their history and circumstances are invisible from your perspective."

Reactions: tnutater
Nope. Wrong answer.

Why Do Poor People Stay Poor? – Of Dollars And Data

"Their paper clearly illustrates that many poor people stay poor not because of their talent/motivation, but because they are in low-paying jobs that they must work to survive.

They are, in essence, in a poverty trap. This is a poverty trap where their lack of money prevents them from ever getting training/capital to work in higher paying jobs. "

Why the Rich Stay Rich and the Poor Stay Poor

"The study's takeaway, according to Chetty and Hendren, is the environment one is raised in determines his or her economic mobility.

A similar analysis by John Hopkins University focused solely on Baltimore. Tracking about 800 students from the first grade through their late-20s, the study found that only 4 percent of children from low-income families achieved a college education, compared to 45 percent of children from higher-income families. Cultural environment and surroundings undoubtedly impact the eventual success of a child, as they determine available opportunities and govern how a child will perceive their social standing."

Why do we think poor people are poor because of their own bad choices? | U-M LSA Department of Psychology

"It all starts with the psychology concept known as the “fundamental attribution error”. This is a natural tendency to see the behavior of others as being determined by their character – while excusing our own behavior based on circumstances.

For example, if an unexpected medical emergency bankrupts you, you view yourself as a victim of bad fortune – while seeing other bankruptcy court clients as spendthrifts who carelessly had too many lattes. Or, if you’re unemployed, you recognize the hard effort you put into seeking work – but view others in the same situation as useless slackers. Their history and circumstances are invisible from your perspective."

I worked a job after school on weekdays and a different job on the weekend for minimum wage from the end of high school and all the way to the end of tech school. I got a job in what I had went for, making 8$. In 4 years I was making 17$ now I'm making 24$ I fail to see how anyone is just stuck in a low paying job. Maybe if you go to UT for a useless college degree that don't have a any jobs anywhere close where you live along with huge debt. I can see where you may have a hard time digging back out of that hole.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I worked a job after school on weekdays and a different job on the weekend for minimum wage from the end of high school and all the way to the end of tech school. I got a job in what I had went for, making 8$. In 4 years I was making 17$ now I'm making 24$ I fail to see how anyone is just stuck in a low paying job. Maybe if you go to UT for a useless college degree that don't have a any jobs anywhere close where you live along with huge debt. I can see where you may have a hard time digging back out of that hole.

You're really emphasizing the point of the research about low social emotional intelligence, and you're strongly reinforcing the thesis of the article that discusses fundamental attribution error.

You're really emphasizing the point of the research about low social emotional intelligence, and you're strongly reinforcing the thesis of the article that discusses fundamental attribution error.

:rolleyes: Pathetic.

VN Store

Back