People with higher socioeconomic status have lower emotional intelligence, especially at high levels of inequality

What the hell is “emotional intelligence” exactly?

Emotional intelligence is generally said to include a few skills: namely emotional awareness, or the ability to identify and name one’s own emotions; the ability to harness those emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problem solving; and the ability to manage emotions, which includes both regulating one’s own emotions when necessary and helping others to do the same.

Emotional intelligence is generally said to include a few skills: namely emotional awareness, or the ability to identify and name one’s own emotions; the ability to harness those emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problem solving; and the ability to manage emotions, which includes both regulating one’s own emotions when necessary and helping others to do the same.

Sounds like something a PHD candidate with too much time on their hands came up with.

He's right.

To quote a parent I had a run in with when teaching in East TN: "Stop putting these ideas in their heads that they can get scholarships and go to UT or ETSU. You teach them too much, they leave and don't come back."

Some people are scared of success for their kids because of fears it will harm the multigenerational dynamic.

Reactions: LouderVol and hog88
If it’s related to controlling your emotions and not letting them guide you into bad decisions ok good. If it’s more along the lines of “get in touch with your soft kind inner self” that’s tripe and a detriment. No reason to set out to be a hard ass, but everyone needs to understand thaf for the majority of us the world is a hard largely unforgiving place and preparing for adulthood largely revolves around preparing for the inevitable onslaught from the world on an individual’s emotions and finances

He's right.

To quote a parent I had a run in with when teaching in East TN: "Stop putting these ideas in their heads that they can get scholarships and go to UT or ETSU. You teach them too much, they leave and don't come back."

Some people are scared of success for their kids because of fears it will harm the multigenerational dynamic.
Sounds like a ****** parent.

Reactions: AshG
Sounds like a ****** parent.

Absolutely.

I hate to admit it and never knew it until after he had passed but my grandfather (dads dad) was like that. He wanted my dad to quit school after 8th grade to work the farm and he and my mom had blowups over her letting us play sports.

Absolutely.

I hate to admit it and never knew it until after he had passed but my grandfather (dads dad) was like that. He wanted my dad to quit school after 8th grade to work the farm and he and my mom had blowups over her letting us play sports.
Oof.

Regardless of what any study says, I think it's just natural for people to over-apply their experience and misunderstand what they don't experience. The poor don't understand the wealthy and vice versa. The guy in here saying his Dad couldn't work thinks if he can do it, anybody can do it, but he didn't grow up in a single-parent home. He didn't grow up in a house where his parents were lazy. Were they financially illiterate? Was your home a safe haven? I'm guessing he didn't grow up in a neighborhood being destroyed by the war on drugs. There are so many ways a life can end up with bad socioeconomic results, but we tend to think because we made it, anybody should make it. Don't take away this point of pride from me because I want to feel like I earned 100% of what I got, and for this to be true, it has to be true of the poor too.

Reactions: GAVol and AshG
There are so many ways a life can end up with bad socioeconomic results, but we tend to think because we made it, anybody should make it. Don't take away this point of pride from me because I want to feel like I earned 100% of what I got, and for this to be true, it has to be true of the poor too.

This, this, so much this.

You’re both wrong. It isn’t a forgone conclusion unless the entirety of your family is holding you back. In that case you’re screwed and so is your whole family.

It's ultimately up to the individual but yes families have a huge influence on where a person ends up and there are far too many families that intentionally stunt the kids growth.

You’re both wrong. It isn’t a forgone conclusion unless the entirety of your family is holding you back. In that case you’re screwed and so is your whole family.

Those are exactly the situations we're talking about. It's a multigenerational family philosophy. Especially in the Appalachians. One kid moving off can disrupt the family livelihood, so everyone is all in on keeping them there.

To the extent one's environment (geographic, family, network, etc) traps one in poverty we should theoretically see that effect lessen due to the Internet. Now more than ever a person can "see" other ways of living, "hear" stories of people who changed their condition and "communicate" with people who've lived a different way.

Prior to this ability your set of experiences was much more limited and even if you saw other ways of living (eg. TV) it was curated and not interactive.

Would make for an interesting longitudinal study to test the relative nature of multiple barriers to moving out of the low end.

VN Store

Back