People with higher socioeconomic status have lower emotional intelligence, especially at high levels of inequality

Ok, I gotta give you props.

I think I know how you figured that out but yes you are right.

Well done.

No we can all stop and move onto another topic lol.

My neighbor across the street is from Manila. Last time I went to the Philippines I asked him if there was anything I could get for him. He said, "Anything you can get there, I can get here." and then I brought him back Tanduay, and he said, "YOU CAN'T GET THIS HERE!"

Reactions: AshG and NEO
BTW, @NEO how do you drink Tanduay? I didn't really like it straight, but it was good with coke. I got my buddy a bottle and he said it was good with OJ, but mine was already gone so I couldn't try that.

BTW, @NEO how do you drink Tanduay? I didn't really like it straight, but it was good with coke. I got my buddy a bottle and he said it was good with OJ, but mine was already gone so I couldn't try that.

I will drink the boracay straight with ice.

The CLX with a splash of diet Pepsi or RC.

The others fully mixed equal parts.
I normally have my wife or her dad grab me a few bottles when heading home.

I have never mixed anything but tequila with OJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: n_huffhines
If it’s related to controlling your emotions and not letting them guide you into bad decisions ok good. If it’s more along the lines of “get in touch with your soft kind inner self” that’s tripe and a detriment. No reason to set out to be a hard ass, but everyone needs to understand thaf for the majority of us the world is a hard largely unforgiving place and preparing for adulthood largely revolves around preparing for the inevitable onslaught from the world on an individual’s emotions and finances
I was reading it as more socipathic/psychopathic lines. I always forget which cant read emotions. I always think of it as how well you play with others. It's why only children are a little spoiled, the older child is a little more independent, younger/middle children are more often more socially outgoing. It's how you read social settings and engage with them. Low intelligence would imply bad readings of a situation or bad reactions to a correct reading.

But that's why I have an issue with the conclusion drawn in the OP. Low intelligence by the rich apparently determines the level of violence in the poor. It's not a common sense conclusion and the parts of the article I read didnt explain that implied correlation.

I was reading it as more socipathic/psychopathic lines. I always forget which cant read emotions. I always think of it as how well you play with others. It's why only children are a little spoiled, the older child is a little more independent, younger/middle children are more often more socially outgoing. It's how you read social settings and engage with them. Low intelligence would imply bad readings of a situation or bad reactions to a correct reading.

But that's why I have an issue with the conclusion drawn in the OP. Low intelligence by the rich apparently determines the level of violence in the poor. It's not a common sense conclusion and the parts of the article I read didnt explain that implied correlation.

the challenge is there are findings (negative correlation between SES and EI) and there are untested speculations as to why - when you read the original article, whenever it says "the author suggests" that is an untested assertion - it's typically part of the "Discussion" section of an academic paper and even here such suggestions should be backed up by literature. It is nothing more than speculation that there is some linkage between EI and violence (at least from what's presented in the article).

as it stands you are correct - the article makes no validated link between EI of better off people and violence. Nor does it even mention what seems to be the topic of this thread (why people are poor and why people think people are poor).

Nope. Wrong answer.

Why Do Poor People Stay Poor? – Of Dollars And Data

"Their paper clearly illustrates that many poor people stay poor not because of their talent/motivation, but because they are in low-paying jobs that they must work to survive.

They are, in essence, in a poverty trap. This is a poverty trap where their lack of money prevents them from ever getting training/capital to work in higher paying jobs. "

Why the Rich Stay Rich and the Poor Stay Poor

"The study's takeaway, according to Chetty and Hendren, is the environment one is raised in determines his or her economic mobility.

A similar analysis by John Hopkins University focused solely on Baltimore. Tracking about 800 students from the first grade through their late-20s, the study found that only 4 percent of children from low-income families achieved a college education, compared to 45 percent of children from higher-income families. Cultural environment and surroundings undoubtedly impact the eventual success of a child, as they determine available opportunities and govern how a child will perceive their social standing."

Why do we think poor people are poor because of their own bad choices? | U-M LSA Department of Psychology

"It all starts with the psychology concept known as the “fundamental attribution error”. This is a natural tendency to see the behavior of others as being determined by their character – while excusing our own behavior based on circumstances.

For example, if an unexpected medical emergency bankrupts you, you view yourself as a victim of bad fortune – while seeing other bankruptcy court clients as spendthrifts who carelessly had too many lattes. Or, if you’re unemployed, you recognize the hard effort you put into seeking work – but view others in the same situation as useless slackers. Their history and circumstances are invisible from your perspective."

I could have saved them a bunch of time and money...... It's all about example and expectation..... Children will follow the example they are given and as a rule hit the mark of expectation they are given..... ones with rebel personalities might go in a different direction but they still tend to hit the mark.

the challenge is there are findings (negative correlation between SES and EI) and there are untested speculations as to why - when you read the original article, whenever it says "the author suggests" that is an untested assertion - it's typically part of the "Discussion" section of an academic paper and even here such suggestions should be backed up by literature. It is nothing more than speculation that there is some linkage between EI and violence (at least from what's presented in the article).

as it stands you are correct - the article makes no validated link between EI of better off people and violence. Nor does it even mention what seems to be the topic of this thread (why people are poor and why people think people are poor).
To the last, this is what bothers me about so much of what gets accepted now, there is big difference between the actual outcomes of the studies and the conclusions drawn. It's mostly clickbaity stuff, make enough assumptions and people forget they are assumptions, and not actual results.

To me the article didnt even get to the hard part of studies regarding social interactions of causation vs correlation.

Reactions: volinbham
To the last, this is what bothers me about so much of what gets accepted now, there is big difference between the actual outcomes of the studies and the conclusions drawn. It's mostly clickbaity stuff, make enough assumptions and people forget they are assumptions, and not actual results.

To me the article didnt even get to the hard part of studies regarding social interactions of causation vs correlation.

plus it doesn't address whether the difference in EI is meaningful.

to paraphrase: there are mathematical differences, statistically significant differences and meaningful differences. achieving statistical difference; particularly with self reported data, doesn't indicate the differences make any real world difference. All the suggested real world implications are just speculation; none are validated.

Reactions: LouderVol
plus it doesn't address whether the difference in EI is meaningful.

to paraphrase: there are mathematical differences, statistically significant differences and meaningful differences. achieving statistical difference; particularly with self reported data, doesn't indicate the differences make any real world difference. All the suggested real world implications are just speculation; none are validated.
Agreed.

I think it does start with the parents. Not their socioeconomic status as much in how involved they are in the development of their children. The “wanting better for their kids than they had” family values dogma. My father was career enlisted military, got out on disability. My mother never finished elementary school. But we weren’t poor, in fact I never did without anything I absolutely needed and always had a full belly. They both bettered themselves and instilled that same set of values in their kids. Achieve more than where you started. I was the first child from either of their extended families to get a college degree. And an engineering degree at that. And it’s completely because I had amazing wonderful involved parents instilling the values in me as a kid guiding me and putting me in a mindset to succeed.

It really is that simple. It’s the parents.

Hand in hand, don't you think? If parents are financially good and have time to spend with kids and direct them that makes a huge difference.

To me the biggest problem for poor kids who drift into crime and what not is single parent households or households without time to devote to them.

Hand in hand, don't you think? If parents are financially good and have time to spend with kids and direct them that makes a huge difference.

To me the biggest problem for poor kids who drift into crime and what not is single parent households or households without time to devote to them.

Plenty of successful people come from single parent homes with a parent that puts in a lot of hours. It's not the quantity of time it's the quality.

So the solution is to punish the people that care by taxing them to death and cause inflation to soar?

Nope I don’t think, not in cases of high wealth. If anything the richer they are the more removed I’d think they would be.

For middle class both parents present and engaged yes. For single parent over worked households you bet.

Kids have to have role models. We are social animals we could not survive infancy without assistance. SOMEBODY is going to fill that role model role. If it isn’t the parents the kids will find somebody else.

Reactions: AshG

VN Store

Back