Petrino on the UT Game

Petrino likes his running game:
Petrino Gets Ready For Tennessee

I expect to see some plays that are specifically designed to take advantage of our younger defensive backs. Maybe crossing patterns, etc. etc.

Petrino would love to beat us and make a name for himself. Imagine him beating Kentucky in an away game. Then the following week beating Tennessee in an away game.

This would get him alot of attention and possibly a job opportunity, once the season ends. I doudt that Petrino wants to stay in Bowling Green, Kentucky very long.

Reactions: 1 person
Antonio Andrews is a name Vol fans will become very familiar with next Saturday.

Andrews had 99 yards rushing on 20 carries and scored one touchdown against Kentucky.

I've said this before that if our boys are looking ahead to Oregon and take WKU lightly, then they could be in for a hard lesson. However, if they come to play football, then I'm not worried about a guy who averaged less than 5 ypc against Kentucky.

Reactions: 9 people
Our Defensive line and linebackers are worlds ahead of Kentucky's. Our Safeties are worlds ahead of Kentucky's. Our CB's are more talented just not proven. They will give us everything they have and we better be prepared, but to compare what we are to a Kentucky team that has 2 and low 3 stars roaming around is a stretch.

I look forward to watching this game and I believe this RB will get some tough yards and the QB will test our young CB's, but it will not be enough.

Antonio Andrews is a name Vol fans will become very familiar with next Saturday.

This guy is a player for sure and I'm sure he will make a few plays. Petrino will dial up some plays that may expose our secondary at times. However, it won't be enough. Vols ultimately win this one going away. 42-17.

Reactions: 2 people
I've said this before that if our boys are looking ahead to Oregon and take WKU lightly, then they could be in for a hard lesson. However, if they come to play football, then I'm not worried about a guy who averaged less than 5 ypc against Kentucky.

Butch has been hyping WKU to the team since spring practice. Trust me, they aren't looking ahead.

Reactions: 9 people
Something else to consider is his explosive ability in the return game. Tennessee's kickoff coverage didn't look very capable against the Governors.

he fumbled several times on returns Saturday. but yes, if he can catch it then our coverage better be improved. hes not too fast though. heck of an all purpose rb though.

Probably true.... but he isn't playing UK this week.

This WKU team is NOT better than the Cincy team UT beat in '11. This UT team SHOULD BE better that that UT team...

It really all comes down to whether Jones is the coach we hope he is. Just ask yourself, if the roles were reversed and Petrino were at UT and Jones were at WKU... what would be the expectations? If Petrino were the coach at UT, what would be the season expectations?

People take shots at me because they think I expect too much of Jones. What I expect is for UT to hire a coach that will take the program back to the top... so the expectation for me does not change with the name on the door. If Jones is the right coach then this is a win and should be by 20+ pts. If he's the right coach then this is a 7 or 8 win roster. Anything less... he's proven nothing on the field that makes him a better coach at UT than Dooley.

What he did at previous stops is nice and makes some feel better about him... but in both cases he followed Kelly who is a first rate coach. He inherited reasonably good situations. Dooley took over one of the most hapless programs in the country in LT... nothing like what Jones walked into twice.

I like Jones' and really do like what he's doing. He's creative, smart, disciplined, and focused. You could not say those things consistently about Dooley. But at the end of the day there is one and only one measure of a coach... WINS. If Jones is better than Dooley then over a 12 game season having inherited a better situation both in program discipline and roster strength that Dooley's '10 season... he should win at least one more game than Dooley did.

Reactions: 6 people
he fumbled several times on returns Saturday. but yes, if he can catch it then our coverage better be improved. hes not too fast though. heck of an all purpose rb though.

I believe they were working on placed kiicks on Saturday. He should be able to kick it deep into the end zone and get touch backs when needed. Unless he brings it out from deep... we should not see any KO returns.

Jones seemed to inidicate that the DT's played well.

1 tackle and none for a loss. I heard an interview in TSR that said they aren't getting what the want out of Dan. He was handled several times one on one against AP. that should never happen

1 tackle and none for a loss. I heard an interview in TSR that said they aren't getting what the want out of Dan. He was handled several times one on one against AP. that should never happen

people expecting Dan to have a ton of tackles doesnt quite get it. he will slice through more times than not and make the qb move out of the pocket. he did that against AP a couple times. he will have his big tackles for loss and maybe a sack here and there. that what he brings. but hes not going to have huge tackle numbers. his presence is felt out there and im sure that when a Center or guard has to bang with him for 4 quarters the effect will show on them. he barely played saturday. loved how our first team swarmed around though. the speed sapp and brewer give us at LB is refreshing. Curt will only help that.

people expecting Dan to have a ton of tackles doesnt quite get it. he will slice through more times than not and make the qb move out of the pocket. he did that against AP a couple times. he will have his big tackles for loss and maybe a sack here and there. that what he brings. but hes not going to have huge tackle numbers. his presence is felt out there and im sure that when a Center or guard has to bang with him for 4 quarters the effect will show on them. he barely played saturday. loved how our first team swarmed around though. the speed sapp and brewer give us at LB is refreshing. Curt will only help that.
It's not like we were playing a good team. I get his point against top level teams but AP he should dominate hands down. It's not just me saying this, it's the media from coaches. His motor doesn't run at top speed and they are trying to get him motivated. One on One against any AP lineman he should put that guy in the stands. He was stoned at least 5 times one v one Saturday

VN Store

Back