PGA - LIV Merger: The Saudis Win

They care about gate receipts too. Winning is good for the gate.
Way less than they used to. The professional sports leagues are the revenue behemoths they are primarily because of the TV deals. People buying tickets, much less butts in seats, has perhaps never mattered less to owners than it does right now.

On-field performance is like a cherry on top; it certainly maximizes the ROI, but the ROI is still nice even if the team's on-field performance sucks. Look at Dan Snyder and the Redskins/Commanders.

Way less than they used to. The professional sports leagues are the revenue behemoths they are primarily because of the TV deals. People buying tickets, much less butts in seats, has perhaps never mattered less to owners than it does right now.

On-field performance is like a cherry on top; it certainly maximizes the ROI, but the ROI is still nice even if the team's on-field performance sucks. Look at Dan Snyder and the Redskins/Commanders.
I’m talking about MLB, not the NFL.

MLB Owners are not voting to allow in an entity with $600B at their disposal. They don’t have a salary cap. It’s not going to happen.

Of course TV Contracts matter. So does the gate - that’s why they keep building new stadiums.

Don’t forget about concessions. Nothing like a $18 beer.

How can they stop you from striking? If all the pilots at a particular airline walked out what could they do? They can't physically make you go back to work and they couldn't replace you very quickly, it would take months to replace the pilots at any major airline.
They can fine the beJesus out of us.

It's handled at congressional level.

I submitted my application, yet again. I do have a buddy with a mutual agreement that if one of us hits, we take the other, so 2x odds!
We've had four guys applying for a few years. A word of advice, if you get a practice round/par 3 day, the atmosphere is much more relaxed and obviously the golfers are more engaged with the crowd.

They can get away with charging it, why should they refrain from doing so?
That was in the context of whether MLB Owners would ever vote to allow the Saudis to buy a team (they won’t).

Someone said tv contracts are all that matter. That’s not true, at least for MLB. The gate still matters a great deal - and the concessions.

That was in the context of whether MLB Owners would ever vote to allow the Saudis to buy a team (they won’t).

Someone said tv contracts are all that matter. That’s not true, at least for MLB. The gate still matters a great deal - and the concessions.
No ****?

I went to the Rays game on Sunday and needed some caffeine. A souvenir refillable soda cup was $16! No thanks.

Reactions: tntar heel
They can get away with charging it, why should they refrain from doing so?

Blatant price-gouging is unethical, but a lot of people in captive settings just wave off outrageous prices and pay anyway, which is part of the problem.
You could charge $30 a beer at the Master's and a lot of people would buy beer anyway. It's the same at airports--absurdly high prices and most everybody pays.

I went to the Rays game on Sunday and needed some caffeine. A souvenir refillable soda cup was $16! No thanks.
Yeah that why I get there early so I can get at least 4 refills. Only time I really drink come is at the Trop to go with my peanuts.

Antitrust law is so stupid. 1 year ago the PGA had no competition and now a merger that will probably result in better golfer pay might be stonewalled out of market competition concerns. You can't make this **** up. If you can't get bought out by other leagues, why start a league? That's a big part of the allure. Counter-productive laws enforced by morons

VN Store

Back