PGA - LIV Merger: The Saudis Win

Probably more pushback in general. Is there a good reason to hold them to a different standard?
Do you think the left and right would flip? I do think the Republicans would be much more hawkish with the Chinese.

I don’t think anyone is worried about a global war with the Saudis, or them spying?

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/07/gol...for-the-saudis-americans-are-slamming-it.html

May be a good thing in the end but the PGA looks like preening, self-important schmucks for all there "sportswashing" PR.

Wonder if Biden will shut it down given his pledge to ostracize and isolate the Saudis - seems they keep getting the wins.

`PGA was already taking Saudi Fund money. They are a primary stake holder in the PGA Tour Fan Shop. This whole PGA/LIV thing has been a PGA cya dog and pony show cause it puts the Saudi Money in plain view.

I submitted my application, yet again. I do have a buddy with a mutual agreement that if one of us hits, we take the other, so 2x odds!

I have a friend from way back. Doctor SIL to an elder at my church growing up. He got in by eventually getting selected to be a marshall for the week. And kept on the list all these years. It's a volunteer position. Their only payment is one free round of golf after the tourney each year before course construction begins for the next Masters. He's been doing it now for probably 35+ years.

Do you think there would be more pushback if it were China? Particularly from the right?

Seems to be considerable pushback on this coming from the left. Is it because of Trump?

Ha: the gangster is part of the problem. It's generally unseemly for American sporting/business organizations to be involved with corrupt, backward repressive regimes. We should be very careful about allowing Chinese companies to buy American companies--not only because it is a repressive country but also because of its longtime reliance on intellectual property theft. Should we let North Korea buy American organizations? Rich Arabs own at least five Premier League clubs, and another was owned by a Russian oligarch before he recently sold the club under pressure, owing to the war.

Most people tend to loosen their moral principles when somebody is stuffing money in their wallet , political coffer, club, business, etc. etc. We see it in all aspects of American life--politics, business, sports.

If the Chinese or Saudis ever do buy an NFL team it will be the Redskins, they'll want to be where the power is.

If the Chinese or Saudis ever do buy an NFL team it will be the Redskins, they'll want to be where the power is.
Excuse me sir, it’s Commanders now. Redskins was deemed to be too offensive by a lot of white liberals.

Last edited:
Do you think the left and right would flip? I do think the Republicans would be much more hawkish with the Chinese.

I don’t think anyone is worried about a global war with the Saudis, or them spying?
At some point people begin reacting against foreigners owning too much of anything.

There was a lot of fuss about Japan in the '80s, and they weren't going to war against us.

Because he’s being offered over $6 billion for the franchise. He bought it in 1999 for $800 million. He’s making out quite nicely despite being arguably the worst professional sports owner of the last 50 years.

Nice. I can't wait for the Titans to sell although I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Late to the party here, but I’ve had mixed feelings on the LIV thing, being an avid golfer. I’m a traditionalist and love the PGA Tour, but clearly Monihan got behind the 8 ball and was reactive instead of proactive. The 180 the PGA has done wrt their tone toward the Saudi’s is comical. Money talks and bs walks. But for those of you that are golfers, the funniest tweet of the day following the news of the merger was Brooks Koepka tweeting out that “someone needs to do a welfare check on Brandel Chamblee”. If you know, you know. Not a Koepka fan, but even less of a fan of the arrogant and sanctimonious, albeit knowledgeable, Brandel Chamblee.

Reactions: KptVFL
Made it to augusta not long ago. It's amazing.

I had the privilege of being a patron on Friday, Saturday and Sunday this year and Sunday in 2017 when Sergio won in a playoff.

Nasty weather on saturday this year but wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
I go to TPC every other year or so. I'm not even a big golf fan but it's a fun event. One year I was blasted on shrooms the whole time.

Reactions: TN Ribs
Honestly not a jab at somebody with a different perspective... does the pilots union still have any pull?
In some ways, but overall not really. The airlines are treated like a defacto utility, so there is no way in hell we would ever be allowed to strike. The problem with this profession in regards to organized labor is that our contracts never expire like any other contract labor, but are merely amendable. The amount of hoops that have to be jumped in order to strike are staggering, and then there is the congress and president that wouldn't want little kids to not get to Disney because of greedy pilots, so they would put a stop to it before it ever occurred anyway. All of it is far more advantageous to management than labor. They can drag out a contract for years. I hadn't had a pay increase for almost 4 years when we got the latest. Thank God inflation during that time was pretty flat. But to answer the question, you don't have to worry about a labor strike, but if we just fly the contract and not go 'above and beyond', things get slowed down a lot. There are many times pilots would extend their duty day to complete flights when we don't have to. That is becoming a thing of the past as management continually pushes the fatigue envelope. Sorry for the long winded response.

Reactions: Vol737
In some ways, but overall not really. The airlines are treated like a defacto utility, so there is no way in hell we would ever be allowed to strike. The problem with this profession in regards to organized labor is that our contracts never expire like any other contract labor, but are merely amendable. The amount of hoops that have to be jumped in order to strike are staggering, and then there is the congress and president that wouldn't want little kids to not get to Disney because of greedy pilots, so they would put a stop to it before it ever occurred anyway. All of it is far more advantageous to management than labor. They can drag out a contract for years. I hadn't had a pay increase for almost 4 years when we got the latest. Thank God inflation during that time was pretty flat. But to answer the question, you don't have to worry about a labor strike, but if we just fly the contract and not go 'above and beyond', things get slowed down a lot. There are many times pilots would extend their duty day to complete flights when we don't have to. That is becoming a thing of the past as management continually pushes the fatigue envelope. Sorry for the long winded response.

How can they stop you from striking? If all the pilots at a particular airline walked out what could they do? They can't physically make you go back to work and they couldn't replace you very quickly, it would take months to replace the pilots at any major airline.

How can they stop you from striking? If all the pilots at a particular airline walked out what could they do? They can't physically make you go back to work and they couldn't replace you very quickly, it would take months to replace the pilots at any major airline.
Didn't turn out well for the air traffic controllers who held out when Regan told them to get to back to work

Reactions: Boca Vol
At some point people begin reacting against foreigners owning too much of anything.

There was a lot of fuss about Japan in the '80s, and they weren't going to war against us.
Different era, different country? Idk.

Do you think the left would be as vocal if it were China and not the Saudis?

VN Store

Back